plugged the receiver hole

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

plugged the receiver hole

Postby dwalk on Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 am

i don't know about you guys but i don't like stuff being able to get into the insides of my rifle by the way of the open, threaded hole in the back of the receiver, so here's what i did:

i spoke to Greg Davis and ordered one of his air tube extensions, too... :P :P :P
dwalk

Location: in the high desert of so cal between temecula and palm springs

Re: plugged the receiver hole

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu May 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey Dwalk, I agree with you too, I have been looking for something to put there as well. I just would like something more flush/streamline. Was the bolt to long and needed spacers? :) Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby dwalk on Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 pm

the bolt is 1/2" long and i could have used a thinner washer. i just happen to have the right sized piece of brass handy to make the spacer with... :)

i think i may replace it with a button head. i was in a hurry and didn't check to see if they had a button head the right size.
dwalk

Postby DaveShooter on Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm

dwalk wrote:the bolt is 1/2" long and i could have used a thinner washer. i just happen to have the right sized piece of brass handy to make the spacer with... :)

i think i may replace it with a button head. i was in a hurry and didn't check to see if they had a button head the right size.
Dwalk that looks fine. The only difference between yours and mine is a stainless hex head with a fat o-ring. It really is no big deal it does keep all the junk a person dosen't want to go in that hole that is all that matters right! :D :D
DaveShooter

Postby dragonman on Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Here's mine $10.00 with five breech o-rings.

dragonman

Postby Supercharged86 on Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Couldn't find a black oxide button head bolt in the right size so I opted for plan B, just your standard allen wrench set screw in 3/8-24. Fits perfect!

Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby dwalk on Sat May 29, 2010 9:32 am

Supercharged86 wrote:Couldn't find a black oxide button head bolt in the right size so I opted for plan B, just your standard allen wrench set screw in 3/8-24. Fits perfect!

!@#$%^...geeeeeeee...i like that idea better 'n' mine...now i gott go back to the hardware store.... :? :roll: :lol:
dwalk

Postby Supercharged86 on Sat May 29, 2010 11:27 am

dwalk wrote:!@#$%^...geeeeeeee...i like that idea better 'n' mine...now i gott go back to the hardware store.... :? :roll: :lol:

:D :D :D Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Well there was another discussion here somewhere (can't find it now) about the possibility of losing velocity if this hole was plugged. Somebody said that because this hole is acting like a vent, plugging it will not allow the hammer to function properly and thereby effecting overall velocity. Although someone else said it didn't change the velocity, for some reason for me it was off by 20-25 fps. I had to double check everything to make sure it wasn't a coincidence, nope, definately reduces the velocity :?: :?: :?:. So the nice new stainless plug idea was short lived. I guess now it's off to plan C, drill a small hole down the center to if that returns everything back to normal.
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby Supercharged86 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Supercharged86 wrote:Well there was another discussion here somewhere (can't find it now) about the possibility of losing velocity if this hole was plugged. Somebody said that because this hole is acting like a vent, plugging it will not allow the hammer to function properly and thereby effecting overall velocity. Although someone else said it didn't change the velocity, for some reason for me it was off by 20-25 fps. I had to double check everything to make sure it wasn't a coincidence, nope, definately reduces the velocity :?: :?: :?:. So the nice new stainless plug idea was short lived. I guess now it's off to plan C, drill a small hole down the center to if that returns everything back to normal.

Well Daveshooter and I have been having a side discussion on this whole plug thing and it's possible effects on the velocity. We agreed that we had both seen over on the yellow a similar discussion and that someone had done the testing with no discerable difference between plugged and unplugged (with regards to overall velocity loss). As I had mentioned last week my first round of testing resulted in a significant difference between the two. Well today I decided to re-test just to be sure it wasn't something flukey. The testing was again made using my usual everyday setting of 2650 fill pressure and the Eunjin 16.1 which will travel between 900-910 fps. After 10 shots, the first two being made with NO plug and the remaining eight being made with the plug, there was no overall difference in velocity. So for whatever reason (for which I can't explain) today's results are in agreement with the gentleman over on the yellow and last weeks results we're apparently skewed for some unknown reason. :?: :?: :?: Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Next

Return to Marauder Mods