Shroud Question

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Shroud Question

Postby caboose212 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:44 am

Has anyone done a shroud modification that replaces the stock baffles with springs, some kind of wrap around the spring (green scrub pad, or Magic Eraser), and a spacer (baffle) or two? I'm curious as to how effective it was, since it's a standard design in the UK. I would also be interested in finding out what springs were used. Thanks for any help!! :twisted:
USMC: Uncomplicated $h*t Made Complicated
caboose212

Re: Shroud Question

Postby caboose212 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:33 am

Here is what I mean, in case anyone is curious...

Hair Curlers

Springs (Like I want to do)

Just wondering if this design, If I can find springs that fit, would be superior to the standard baffles. The Image of the springs is what comes in Air Arms silencers in the UK, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for any help guys!! :twisted:
caboose212

Postby FuzzyGrub » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:10 am

I have not tried that, but my "gut" feeling is that it would not be as good as baffles, given the same airspace. It looks more like a "muffler" design vs a series of air strippers.
John

Prods: 2201P .22 Pistol, 1720T Camp Carbine, M4 .177/.22 Carbine, PMrod .177/.22 Rifle, MProd .22
Mrods: .25 MDRL Bullpup, Srod .25 Syn Stock, Gen II Woody Reg'ed 177
FuzzyGrub

Postby caboose212 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:15 am

I'm leaning toward the same conclusion. Because there's flat out too little room inside that shroud. I'll just use the stock stuff. Thanks!! Besides, I'm going to use a thread-on LDC in addition to the shroud anyway. I'm just after a lot of sound suppression. Of course, my rifle is only going to be kicking around 20 fpe anyway. We'll see how it goes. :twisted:
caboose212

Postby iride » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:11 pm

I am not sure I got my sound suppression, But I installed a air stripper in my LDC , Had to cut one of the old style baffles down a little, I installed a second air stripper where it should go Had to cut down a little of the new style baffles , I think most people just take a baffler out,, So I thought I cut the baffle a liitle to much so I cut the stock air stripper to fit in the cut baffle,,, That's three air strippers, I also did my first barrel clean with fishing line , was not to bad, came clean after four dirty pull throughs, Got to fire off about 25 shots to resight in scope, I think I need to shot a few more rounds to get back to the one hole groups at 30 yards, But I was getting close.
Need to start getting my camera out when I get on a roll.... LOL
Cricket 25
Cricket .22
Rapid marauder .25 bull Pup kit installed
FWB 124
Tech Force 99
Super max Mod B21
Crosman 760
Sheridan blue streak ( I guess a 1965 model, Brother gave it to me does not shoot
Salt gun
iride

Postby caboose212 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:36 am

With this new air stripper from fleagay I'm just going to use it as-is, and have a custom shroud made, and not have to worry about cutting down any of the baffles or anything. It's getting a custom shroud anyway. It's only a little more figuring, but Jim's going to have my air stripper in hand when he machine's my barrel anyway. No big deal. I'm going to use the standard 4 cup/O-ring setup, just like stock. I'll drill out the rear of the shroud near the rear mount since I've read that it helps, and It's going to be no where near my face. Lets see how it does.
caboose212

Postby RayK » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:02 am

caboose212 wrote:I'll drill out the rear of the shroud near the rear mount since I've read that it helps

I know two guys who drilled small (1/16") holes at the rear sides of their Marauder shroud and it did not reduce report at all. I have also read posts where guys did it and claimed it helped, but they also did other mods at the same time confounding the source of the improvement.

Improving the air stripper makes the biggest difference. The stock air stripper barely gets any shot blast into the large rear shroud chamber, so that large space is not being used. To be really effective, the stripper needs to be moved forward away from the tip of the barrel. It would be worth giving up one of the four stock baffles to install a longer stripper that would do this.

Installing mr clean magic eraser, springs, hair curlers, etc, did not help when I tried it back in 2010 and only increased the chance of a pellet hitting something on the way out.

I've also noticed there is a point where adding more LDC does not help at all.

I bought a large, high-end LDC that has a great design, installed it on the end of my 12 FPE 177 M-rod, and both my wife and I agreed it was the same loudness either way (shooting indoors for comparison) with or without the LDC. It was clear the stock shroud, with air stripper holes enlarged, was getting the air blast noise to a limit - at least with a 12 FPE 177. There was still noise, but it was coming from the hammer, spring, valve, etc. I could not hear any of the other classic noises like ping or hammer bounce, but stock Marauders often have both of those noises too.

I read about "mouse fart" all the time, but the Marauders are still too noisy for shooting in an indoor range in an apartment or condo with thin walls.

The next step is to tune with very short hammer throw (e.g., HT near fully CW) as that makes a huge difference in reducing the remaining shot noise. It is going to be a low power tune, but the goal is ultra quiet.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod @ Rocker1 getting full make-over
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby caboose212 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 am

I have a new air stripper from fleagay, and I'll be using that. I've decided to just use the stock baffles since it's going to have a shroud and a thread-on LDC. I'll see what the 1/16" holes do... I'm not using a full shroud, I'm just using a partial. Hope it works out well!! Thanks!
caboose212

Postby Wasatch » Thu May 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Springs are a legit way of absorbing energy if they are downstream of the baffle. When the blast hits the baffle the spring compresses. BSA uses this arrangement. 2 baffles and three springs.
Wasatch

Postby RayK » Thu May 08, 2014 2:57 pm

That makes sense.

Crosman put their spring at the barrel end in MR version 2. Did they get it wrong (again)?

I'm going to try your idea in my 25 M-rod by removing one baffle and inserting a spring at the shroud end-cap end.
I was a bit worried it might allow too much movement of the baffles, but after reading your post (about BSA doing it), I'm going to try it too.

Maybe I'll cut springs and put them between each baffle too...

I bought a SPL meter a while back so I could evaluate the effectiveness of different sound deadening for Marauders, but it was no good for measuring shot noise. You need a special kind that measures peak. Most just do sampling and averaging....

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod @ Rocker1 getting full make-over
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Next

Return to Marauder Mods