Added two more baffles this saturday....

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Added two more baffles this saturday....

Postby RayK on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 pm

I also did the mod of adding two more baffles to my 25 Marauder. It was much quieter, but then I started getting poor groups. I looked at the inside of the end cap and there were skids made from pellets hitting it (which I never had before). Plus there were tiny lead dust particles around some of the baffles.

I tried various things including drilling out all the baffles and the end cap, and finally going back to 4 baffles, but the accuracy just does not seem as good as it was before I started this modification.

I first drilled the 22 baffles out to the same size hole as the stock 25 Marauder holes - 5/16", but then I later bored them all out another 64th of an inch.
Any ideas? Maybe I messed up something in the barrel.

Ray
RayK

Re: Added two more baffles this saturday....

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:40 pm

I received a 25 cal this past Saturday and have shot about 400 rounds through it. I'm unable to get good groups with it. 3 inches at 50 yds, 5 inches at 100 yds. The only thing I can find wrong is two skid marks inside the end cap ,nothing on the baffles. I have no mods to it and only adjusted the velocity screw. If a pellet is hitting the end cap the pellet is already unstable. Were you able to correct your problem ?
Bruce Jarrett

Postby spysir on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm

check everything relating to the shroud. I have seen just the o-ring on the front barrel bushing cause havic.

John
spysir

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:27 pm

I painted the inside of the end cap with whiteout and did some shooting. I had flyer's and bad groups but no marks on the whiteout so the original marks may have been made by just a couple of bad pellets.
Bruce Jarrett

Postby RayK on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Bruce.

I don't know what is up with your gun, but you should try that replacement barrel and if that doesn't fix it, send it back to Crossman for a replacement.

Ray
RayK

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:08 pm

I'm going to do the barrel replacement when it gets here but in the mean time I'm trying everything I can think of. I reason I came on your post is because you had the skid marks in your end cap and I had some in mine with bad groups so I thought I would test a little to see if it was related. In my case I think it was just a couple of bad pellets.
Bruce Jarrett

Postby don on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:42 pm

Try a good cleaning, my gun started to group poorly after I put about 200 rounds through it. I cleaned the barrel with a patch slightly damp with Hoppes I pulled it from the breech. The gun settled right back to very tight groups. Just a thought.

Regards, Don
don

Return to Marauder Mods