WAR Marauder Moderator or shroud extension??

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

WAR Marauder Moderator or shroud extension??

Postby Nickdizonc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:11 am

I am looking into getting one of wicked's marauder moderators and wanted to get some firsthand accounts from folks who already own one whether it significantly made it more quiet than just keeping it stock. I would define significant to be in the neighborhood of at least 30% or more less quiet than the stock setup with just the shroud and baffle. This is a pretty sizeable investment so I'd want to see that at least in order to get it. Otherwise I'll probably just go with the shroud extension which is $100 less. Looking forward to your replies. I think it looks awesome but functionality is more of a requirement on this purchase due to cost. Thanks!
Nickdizonc

Re: WAR Marauder Moderator or shroud extension??

Postby AlanMcD » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:14 am

I have not tried the moderator, but I have no doubt that it would deliver what you want - it looks large enough and Jim and Travis make great stuff. Judging by the threaded end, it looks to be over 8" long and about 1.5" in diameter, so just be sure that you are comfortable with that much extension on the (already quite long) Marauder. Mounted on a factory shroud, the gun would almost certainly be over 50" in overall length - but with a nearly silent shot!

I do have the shroud extension, and it does make for a slight reduction in sound level - it is noticable but not dramatic. While it was well made and functioned as inteneded, I ended up taking it off my gun as I was not comfortable with the added ~3" length on it. It just was awkward for me to be carrying something that long.

As a thought, the moderator on a shortened shroud might be a really good solution - you would still pick up a lot of volume of air space for noise reduction.

Of course you will be left with the reality that even with a stock .22 Marauder, the sound of the pellet hitting the target (or pest) is typically much louder than the firing of the gun.
AlanMcD

Postby Nickdizonc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:53 am

Alan thanks for chiming in (really value your insight, I learn a ton from it). Would you say the sound dampening of the 3in extension was less than 20%? I mean for $50 I suppose any effect would be sufficient but I'm just trying to see if Im willing to spend and extra $100 and extend my rifle's overall length by 8inches vs 3inches. I'm getting one of these items for sure as I currently have my rifle tuned for 100% power so sound levels are becoming less and less backyard/neighbor friendly.
Nickdizonc

Postby AlanMcD » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:34 am

That is atough one to answer, as sound levels are very subjective without an appropriate meter. My 20% reduction most likely would not tie to yours.

That said, that is about how I would rate it - I would quess it to be about a 1 or 2 dB reduction in sound level. It will definately be a noticable reduction in sound level, but I don't know if you will think it to be enough or not.
AlanMcD

Postby Nickdizonc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:20 am

I ended up purchasing the War Moderator and after a 100 rounds or so, I'd say it's ok. I don't feel the sound reduction was incredible, but it did lower the rifle's report somewhat. I didn't measure the db levels b/w shroud vs shroud and moderator so I can't give actual numbers, I'm simply giving a layman's perspective and initial impression. The moderator itself looks cool but it's over 8 inches long and the dimensions weren't on the website so I had no idea. The guns accuracy was unaffected with the moderator. The unit is made out of aluminum but it feel almost like plastic. I unscrewed one end to have a look inside and and when I was screwing. The end cap of the moderator back on I felt that the moderator's body could be crushed or that the threads would easily strip out if Torqued on them with above average pressure. FWIW I honestly didn't feel I got my $150 worth. I am talking simply about the product, NOT Travis. If I had known the sound reduction would have been as minute as it is, I ld have just invested in the NBH and valve instead. I have a Hill upgraded valve but I haven't installed it yet as I'm still testing my gun after a few significant mods. I enlarged the valve exhaus and barrel port to 3/16 and I am using Hill's transfer port which is at .162 I.D. I just got a chrony so I'm looking forward to finally tuning my gun accurately with a chrony. I'm not saying the moderator is not a good investment, just not one that met MY personal expectations for shelling out $150. shoulda spent it on ammo instead.
Nickdizonc

Postby SHOOTINIT » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:26 am

an open stripper would help
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby Nickdizonc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:37 am

I've increased my air stripper inlets to 3/16 just as described by Motorheads helpful tutorial. Tbh I think since I've increased my barrel port and valve exhaust to 3/16, it's a ton of air so I think there's only so much you can do when that much power is being made. I have all my settings at max currently but I just got my chrony in So I will see what the max settings in each adjustment can be whilst still maintaining pinpoint accuracy. power is great but a powerful miss ain't.
Nickdizonc

Postby RayK » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:30 am

Generally the more power, the more noise you get.

Here in a custom gun made by Doug that is an exception because it was designed to be ultra quiet from the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi44REXMw8Q

230 FPE 308 and sounds quieter than some staple guns. Too bad I don't like the ergonomics of the Airforce guns or I would get in line for one.

Ray
25 W-rod | 8 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 60 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 28 FPE -4% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby Nickdizonc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I want to apologize to Travis and the good folks at WAR. I appreciate their enthusiasm and ingenuity for our beloved air gunning sport. I will do more in depth testing with actual chrome data and a detailed analysis of sound levels in comparison to everyday sounds since I do not have a sound meter to provide precise decimal levels. I also want to note I had a leak in my transfer port so my initial assessment was not a fair and error free one. I made a mistake and take accountability for that. I'll be more thorough when making statements about products I post about on here whether they be from WAR or any other gear shop I use. Thx to the wise man who helped me realize how important it is to encourage the guys who make invent all kinds of awesome goodies for all of us to enjoy. I salute you sir and point taken.
Nickdizonc

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:41 pm

99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Next

Return to .22 Cal Marauders