WAR Marauder Moderator or shroud extension??

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: WAR Marauder Moderator or shroud extension??

Postby RayK » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Good suggestion SHOOTIN'IT!

I tried an Android sound meter called deciBel by BSB Mobile Solutions and it was surprisingly useful for comparing effects of different things I was trying with my P-rod to get it very quiet.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby AlanMcD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:03 pm

That is a nice little app! Of course it took very little time before I decide to spend the buck to shut off the ads . . . .

I set up an iPod with it about 4 feet from the muzzle at a 45 degree angel from it, and took ten shots to see how they came out. I have a 0.63" LW filling most of my shroud, and I am using a front stripper that Shootinit made for me and the Gen 2 baffles. Shooting JSB 18.1s at 900 fps with a reg set at 1800 psi resulted in readings of about 90-92 decibels across the ten shots. It showed my ambient sound level at about 56 dB, and just cycling the bolt and cocking the gun generated about 87 dB. This was all indoors in my basement, which is finished with carpeting and furniture which absorbs sound too.

I have no idea how accurate that is, but it is at least one test point that others can compare to. Maybe we can agree to a common test protocol so that we can compare things - something to break the problem of one person's quiet being another person's loud . . . .

Nick - nice post. I do look forward to hearing your impressions of the moderator when you get the gun shooting the way you want.
AlanMcD

Postby AlanMcD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Two more interesting data points from the app:
1) I set the iPod up about 4 feet from the rubber much trap that I shoot into from 21 yards away, and the impact through the target paper, the cardboard, and into the rubber mulch registered at 93-95 decibels.
2) I also checked the sound pressure level from degassing and it was 96 decibels about 2 and half feet from the vent, with the vent hole facing away from the iPod.
AlanMcD

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:43 pm

IT GIVES YOU A GOOD IDEA OF BEFORE AND AFTER...
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby Nickdizonc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:40 pm

AWESOME! This will help my evaluation BIG TIME!
Nickdizonc

Postby Nickdizonc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 pm

I just received the Hill Shroud extension today and from my preliminary testing of the WAR Moderator and the Hill Extension, there has been (at least through the 4 readings I did for each) an average of about an 7-12db advantage to the Hill Shroud extension. I'll do a more thorough review with numbers and testing conditions once I can get some time alone in a room without any interruptions. I can say that at least to my ears the shroud extension is noticeably quieter from the WAR Mod. But these are only my initial tests. The War moderator has a few hundred rounds through it so the sound report of the hill extension may change as more lead collects in the shroud, we shall see. But at least from my initial impressions and testing, I like the shroud extension. It also is a bit more compact @ 6inches vs the WAR Mod which is over 9inches.
Nickdizonc

Postby int3man » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Sorry to say guys but my .22 with the W.A.R. NBH is deadly quiet. Seriously the loudest thing is the pellet hitting the trap. I hear more Hammer Spring noise than anything. I shoot at 20 yards between 2 houses, so it is a sound chamber with a fence running parrallel. The Twach at the end is the loudest. Next is to try hanging carpet in front of the trap.

Again just IMHO.
Michael :- )
.22 Marauder
W.A.R. NBH Quiet!!
.25 Marauder
W.A.R. De-Pinged and it WORKS
W.A.R. NBH W.A.R. Valve Sweet
Stock Rogue Sold
.177 Regal, Bearing Trigger Job.
PRod
Drilled out Valve
Wow!! Hot Rod
int3man

Postby RayK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17 am

It is an interesting side effect that the no bounce hammer really quiets the guns.

I had one in my W-ROD 25 (with all WAR internal parts) and it was shooting 70 to 100 FPE yet was still quieter than my stock 25 M-rod tuned for higher power around 45 FPE.

Last month, I got to shoot next to int3man with his P-rod and 22 M-rod with no bounce hammer and they were both ultra quiet.

DOC was talking about adding deadening material to the front of the hammer to try to quiet down the remaining shot noise after removing the first two offenders: the air blast out the muzzle and the air-tube ping. I suspect the NBH must remove/reduce this noise, but it must also be removing some burp out the muzzle.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby AlanMcD » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 am

I know that back when I used to run unregulated I used the AoA HDD with great success, and part of that was a much quieter gun too. But the biggest difference was always on the second half of the shot curve which is where the physics of the system indicates burping from bounce will be the highest.

I do think it was quieter on the front half of the curve, but not by as dramtic an amount as everyone seems to indicate with the NBH. So it must be something about the shot cycle characteristics with that hammer, in addition to eliminating the bounce, that leads to that great result.
AlanMcD

Postby npunk42 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:21 pm

My synrod never had the burp sound, but the WAR NBH did quiet things down a bit, 3d depinger did what it was supposed to do, and a piece of hair curler sponge stuffed into the spring eliminated any twang. The only trouble is now I cant adjust the HT without digging out the sponge.
npunk42

PreviousNext

Return to .22 Cal Marauders