Dud???

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Dud???

Postby AlexKintner » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Si I've researched this site for a while before buying my synod. I bought a refurb due to a great deal. For the life of me I can't get it to group. I've had the shroud tight against the breech, spaced off the breech, I lubed the shroud spacer o-ring. I'm still getting about an inch at 50 feet (all i can get in my house). Some pellets group better than others, but still nowhere near what I think it should be. Can members chime in and let me know what groupings you're getting and at what distance. It seems like mine just needs to be sent back. Thanks everyone.
AlexKintner

Re: Dud???

Postby tracker1955 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:37 am

Am shooting JSB exact heavies 18.13 gr and getting sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards with only an occasional flier that might be off than less than a half inch.
tracker1955

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:05 pm

r u using a reliable ao scope
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby AlexKintner » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Using a Hawke optics sport hd 3-9 x 40 AO scope. I heard they have a pretty good reputation.
AlexKintner

Postby npunk42 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:34 pm

Send it back, if you can get a .25 in its place do it. The .25 Marauder guys never complain about groups.
npunk42

Postby ronmc » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:17 pm

The .22 's are a barrel lottery. See if they will send you another barrel to try. Check for clipping, also see if the breech o-ring is in place, these are places to start, if lubed up you should be grouping better than that. Had a S-Rod that was that way, ended up drilling and tapping the barrel band and adding set screws. Helped a bunch,
ronmc

Postby AlexKintner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I pulled the shroud off to lube the spacer and there was no damage to the baffles. I will try a different scope on it to see if things improve. I asked Crosman for a new barrel and they basically told me to ship the gun back to them and that they would not send me a new barrel because they are expensive and need to make sure I purchased it.
AlexKintner

Postby PB_Matrix » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Lower the FPS to some where around 800.
Make sure the transfer port inside the barrel is de-burred to keep it from nicking the pellets when you push them into the breech.
For some reason the first and last pellets out of the magazine tend to open up my groups.
Use a bi-pod or other steady rest.
Weight sort the pellets.
Shoot regulated air pressures.
Wash the pellets if they have a bunch of debris, and lightly lube them on the outside only
Take a break after every 5 or so shots to let your eyes rest and always Shoot with both eyes open.
wish for a decent aftermarket .22 cal barrel sometime in the future.
PB_Matrix

Postby AlexKintner » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Shootinit had it! I replaced the scope with a cheap one that came with my Stoeger and the groups tightened up. Probably dime size at 15 yards. Still not stacking pellets, but enough to lead me to believe the barrel may not be completely crap. I'll put another reliable scope on it and see what it looks like. Thanks everyone.
AlexKintner

Return to .22 Cal Marauders