New to PCP guns

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

New to PCP guns

Postby Tackleberry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:06 am

Good morning all,
I am new to the PCP guns and just want to introduce myself. I have been lurking in the back ground for a few weeks and I finally pulled the tigger on my Marauder purchase.
Along with my Marauder .22 rifle I purchased a
Hill pump#4
Leapers 3-12x44 scope
JBS heavy Pellets
Spare magazine
Rings

I already have a Choro, sling and bipod from my other hobbies so I believe I am all set to get started.
Is there any other extras items should purchase before I get started
Thank you in advance
Tackleberry
Tackleberry

Re: New to PCP guns

Postby Flatpick65 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Sounds like you are set, but just my two cents worth here....I bought my 22 Mrod used and it came with a bipod. It shipped unattached from the rifle, but when I received the "box o' goodies" I went ahead and attached it. Really glad I did as I nearly always shoot from the bipod now. You won't need to break the bank for some $50+ Blackhawk either. A $25-30 UTG should work fine (I believe that's what mine is). Make sure you get the model which will attach directly to the front swivel stud. If youre not sure which model, this forum is an awesome resource or the guys at PA have always seemed to have a pretty darn good knowledge of what should work. Your scope should be fine for now. If you have room to let the Mrod stretch its legs, (50-75 yards and up) you may want to bump up to a higher magnification scope. Now that DST has kicked in, I've got more time to shoot after work, but in the dead of winter I was getting tired of punching paper at 25 yards so I bought an ADE illuminator and added a picatinny scope ring adapter so I could mount it directly on my scope. I can easily "paint" my targets at night WELL beyond the effective range of the Mrod (200+ yards). I can sit in the shed and shoot spinner targets at 50 yards. $50 for the ADE illuminator and $8 for the rail adapter on Amazon. Have fun! This whole air gun thing is a great way to get good quality time behind a scope.
Flatpick65

Postby npunk42 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Good for you! Hopefully its already shooting straight and tuned one way or the other. Best way to find out is start shootin stuff. Keep us in the loop.
npunk42

Postby Bigtwin69 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Welcome to the group. I'm fairly new to PCP's and have a Synrod 25 cal...shooting straight out of the box.
Bigtwin69

Postby 30cal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:30 am

I bought a Hill mk4 pump with my Marauder also. While it is the best hand pump, if you like to shoot a lot you will get tired of pumping. I just recently got a ShoeBox Max comressor. Best investment You can make for lots of PCP fun. (Of course now I want a carbon fiber 4,500 psi bottle. Sheesh!) Then you will have no excuse not to buy more guns! My mrod likes JSB 18.13 but shoots the 15.89's as well, maybe slightly better. A close 3rd are the H&N Baracuda. Good luck!
30cal

Postby Tackleberry » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 am

I have been thinking about that same compressor. But it is just the cost, if you don't mind me asking what did it cost you?
Tackleberry

Postby tracker1955 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:42 am

Welcome and good luck with your new rifle, hopefully you will get a good barrel 1st time out. Mine likes the JSB 18.13 best. H&N barracudas were fair, but no where near as good as the JSB heavies. Some do like the barracudas best though. I have my marauder tuned to shoot just bellow 900 fps right now and is good out to 60 yards before groups open up to bad. Any starlings inside that range are dead meat. My synrod is all stock and gets 20 good shots with this power tune. Had it tuned a little faster before but last couple shots on second mag were a little slow and POI would drop. Let us know how accuracy and tuning does.
tracker1955

Postby Tackleberry » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:32 pm

Thank you for the replays. I am waiting on my Choro to come in. Than I will give tuning a try
Is it as easy as the book says? Just turn the hex key in the rear and shoot some strings and see what you get?
Tackleberry

Postby npunk42 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 pm

Its as easy as playin the blues. Easy to do, not so easy to do well.
npunk42

Postby 30cal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey Tackleberry, You can find out all about them at their site here: http://shoeboxcompressor.com/ I got the Max 4,500 psi model with the optional cooling fan. $700. w/fan $650 without. I bought mine right from their web site. I know its a lot of dough but it is the least expensive compressor out there. It really makes this hobby much more enjoyable for me! I enjoy bench rest shooting with my .22. out to 100 yards (so far) mine is amazingly accurate. I have hanging metal targets at various distances out to 100 yards. 2"x2.5" and 1"x1.5" steel pipe couplers from the hardware store painted bright orange. I was out last night at dusk my range is in the woods so was quite dark. I hit the 80yd target (2"x2.5") 10 times in a row, the last 4 shots while it was swinging. Thats pretty good in my book! Thats with JSB 15.89 at 940 fps I have not yet tried shooting groups at that distance yet but will soon. With out the ShoeBox I would not be able to shoot nearly as much. And if you like to tune and experiment a lot, you will love having unlimited air.
30cal

Next

Return to .22 Cal Marauders