How many FT-LBs

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

How many FT-LBs

Postby Walx on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:01 pm

I have looked around but couldnt find the answer. I remember seeing somewhere that 1 ft-lb per pound of animal is enough but that sounds a little low to me. Now Im talking head shots. Now I know the FT-LBs would depend on the distance and not muzzle energy. Main reason for asking is I was squirrel hunting and heard coyotes starting to cut up and it got me to wondering if I could take one down or just piss him off. After that I did a test just to see. I filled a gallon metal paint can with water and put the top on it. Set it at 50 yards and then laid a leather work glove on the front of it. With 21.1 grain H&N at 730FPS I shot 3 shots. First 2 shots went through and dented the backside of the can. And the 3rd shot passed completely through and water poured out both holes of the last shot so the pellet did go through some water. According to the calculator that should be about 19 ft-lbs at 50yards.

Anyone have any thoughts
Walx

Re: How many FT-LBs

Postby Supercharged86 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Hey Walx, You didn't mention it but I gather were talking .22 cal here (H&N 21.1 grn)? It looks like it's possible, check out this forum, http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... =5&t=77299. But it will require close range and a perfect shot, not to mention some more speed. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Walx on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for the link. Guess I need to up my speed a little. I am talking about the 22 cal.
Walx

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 am

Looks like you need to be in the mid to upper 900's :o . Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby Walx on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:48 pm

From what I can remember when I first tried to get tuned in to using the 21 grain Kodiaks I couldn't get the speed over about 820fps. I opted for the slower speed which seem to do good on squirrels and give a good shot count. Its about time to start messing with the tune again so ill see just what I can do and see what the shot groups will look like.
Walx

Postby jlands on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Walx wrote:From what I can remember when I first tried to get tuned in to using the 21 grain Kodiaks I couldn't get the speed over about 820fps.

remember my post.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=915&start=10#p5008
i got over 40 ft/lbs with 21 gr barracudas.

my current settings are still the same at the end of the same post, about 37 ft/lbs. that gives me 25 ft/lbs at 55 yards.

jared
I believe in gun control as long as I am the one controlling it. :)

jlands

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Walx wrote:From what I can remember when I first tried to get tuned in to using the 21 grain Kodiaks I couldn't get the speed over about 820fps. I opted for the slower speed which seem to do good on squirrels and give a good shot count. Its about time to start messing with the tune again so ill see just what I can do and see what the shot groups will look like.

If you can't get the necessary velocity with your current settings, increase your fill pressure (I'd go straight to 3000 psi) and redo the settings; max out the VP to 5.5 turns out, use full stroke length, then start with HP at 1 turn in. Keep turning the HP in as you chrony the shots. With the 3000 fill pressure you'll likely need a few more turns on the HP, you should see the speed go up as you turn the HP in (towards max). You will certainly not get many shots at these settings but that's not the idea here, your going for broke here to get that wiley coyote. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby Walx on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:57 pm

jlands wrote:
Walx wrote:From what I can remember when I first tried to get tuned in to using the 21 grain Kodiaks I couldn't get the speed over about 820fps.

remember my post.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=915&start=10#p5008
i got over 40 ft/lbs with 21 gr barracudas.

my current settings are still the same at the end of the same post, about 37 ft/lbs. that gives me 25 ft/lbs at 55 yards.

jared

I had forgot about that post thanks for reminding me of that. I know now what I'll be doing when I get home from work Wednesday.
Walx

Postby USMCShooter on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 am

I've killed 8 coyotes so far with my .22 Mrod, 6 head shots, two body shots, from 20yds out to 52yds....all with 16gr Predator pellets running at 950fps.....

I've done extensive pellet testing in deer heads, hog heads, armadillo's, coons, possums, squirrels and rabbits.....with 16gr pellets, moving over 880fps (my slowest gun, a BSA), they were all capable of being taken with kill shots to the brain pan out to 45yds.....

The preds at 950fps penetrated completely through deer heads, front to back or side to side, out to 35yds.....and penetrate the brain pan sufficiently to kill out to 45yds.....at 880fps, they would penetrate the brain pans to 45yds as well.....

Of the head-shot coyotes, anything below 40yds whistled through both sides.....the body shots destroyed vitals with exceptionall performance and neither dog went farther than 40yds after taking the shot.....

So I don't know what minimum FPE is.....I just know where my comfort zone is with taking up to coyotes with the .22....if he's within 50yds of me, he's in BIG trouble...period.

s/f

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby Walx on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks that is useful info. I wish my gun would shoot the 16gr predators better than a half inch at 25 yards.
Walx

Next

Return to .22 Cal Marauders