Have the .22 barrel issues been sorted out?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Have the .22 barrel issues been sorted out?

Postby RFCII » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:33 pm

I have a Gen 2 .177 that, after a few simple mods and a lot of fiddling, is as accurate as any of the high end Euro rifles I have, except for the 10m rifles. I am getting about 60 shots with JSB 10.33's between 850 and 870 fps. In a BR test this morning at 25 yards, I put 10 shots into a .20" c-t-c group. I'm quite satisfied. As a result, I'd like to get a Marauder in .22. However, I have read over and over about the .22 barrel problems. Have the problems been resolved? If not, what is the solution if I get a .22?

Thanks so much!

RFCII
RFCII

Re: Have the .22 barrel issues been sorted out?

Postby npunk42 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:24 am

There are those who have had issues recently with the gen2 in .22. The solutions are:
1. Get one anyway with the mind that you may have to send it back, possibly a few times to get the one that doesn't have a barrel issue.
2. Get one anyway with a mind to replacing the barrel soon.
3. Get one in .25
4. Save about twice as much cash and get the Air Arms S510, and never give accuracy a second thought.

Of course this is assuming you get one with a barrel issue. I didn't, and there are many among us in this forum who didn't.
npunk42

Postby Southernson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I've got a gen2 .22 maurader that is awesome accurate at 60 yds. With factory settings. Eventually want to tune for that 100 yd. mark if possible.
Southernson

Postby 22synrodn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:14 pm

I've been around the block several times with mine from 1/4" groups at 25 yards (out of the box) all the way to 3" and 4" groups. Some days would be good and some days I felt like throwing it in the trash can. I found that most of the problems were with me. I was twisting the barrel shroud tight then loose half turn this way and that way. I was shooting all kinds of pellets at all kinds of FPS. My barrel could never get seasoned for any type of pellet and was getting very dirty with all this craziness. After 9 months now, I am very pleased with the performance. I've settled on the JSB 18.13s and the H&N 21.14 with 5.53 heads. I clean the barrel every seventy shots or so with a dry bore snake (brass bristles removed) or a pull thru with a cut up T-shirt. If I want to really clean it, which I rarely do anymore, I will use some WD-40 or Remington gun oil. If I use the oils, the gun is turned upside down first and I replace the barrel O-ring afterwards. Also, I know I have to shoot 20 to 30 shots to season the barrel again. I've noted what the best FPS is for each of these pellets and keep track of the settings for each. The JSBs don't mind the H&N settings, but the H&Ns don't like the JSB settings. I do use a O-ring in the barrel band (un-floated barrel) and the shroud is tight to the breech block. I do use silicon grease on the shroud O-rings and the barrel band O-ring. I loosen the barrel band, tighten the shroud, then tighten the barrel band so there is no pressure on the barrel from the band O-ring. This is a controversial issue, but I find this works best for me.

The end result of all of this is a very happy camper. I'm getting 1/2" groups and on my best days 3/8" groups out to 50 yards consistently. I setup bottle caps on toothpicks regularly at 30 yards and they are one shot one kill. I no longer worry if my gun is going to shoot good or not on a given day. She has been spot on day after day for a long time now.

I would say buy one and don't abuse her, but find out what she likes.
22synrodn

Postby Punisher » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:52 pm

22Synrodn, when you say you replace the "barrel o-ring" after cleaning, are you referring to the one inside the breach? Do you replace it with a new one? Or simply remove it before cleaning and then re-use it? Also, do you have any tips for how you actually get it back in? The more detailed description the better... I worry mine is damaged but I've read the horror stories about replacing that breach o-ring. Thanks!
Punisher of pest birds.

.22 SynRod "El Diablo"

Punisher

Postby DR650 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Punisher wrote:22Synrodn, when you say you replace the "barrel o-ring" after cleaning, are you referring to the one inside the breach? Do you replace it with a new one? Or simply remove it before cleaning and then re-use it? Also, do you have any tips for how you actually get it back in? The more detailed description the better... I worry mine is damaged but I've read the horror stories about replacing that breach o-ring. Thanks!

I bought a few wooden dowels . I insert the dowel in the muzzle and push it to the O ring. When the O ring is pushed in the dowel helps it drop in the groove
I have never had a problem but you need a rod of something in there to stop the O ring from pushing past the groove
DR650

Postby Punisher » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the help!
Punisher of pest birds.

.22 SynRod "El Diablo"

Punisher

Postby 22synrodn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Punisher wrote:22Synrodn, when you say you replace the "barrel o-ring" after cleaning, are you referring to the one inside the breach? Do you replace it with a new one? Or simply remove it before cleaning and then re-use it? Also, do you have any tips for how you actually get it back in? The more detailed description the better... I worry mine is damaged but I've read the horror stories about replacing that breach o-ring. Thanks!

Sorry about the delay getting back to you Punisher. I just got back from a successful Turkey hunt. Yes it is the o-ring at the end of the barrel that I replace. I just use a small dental tool to remove the o-ring. I do not think you could remove one without damaging it. I buy my O-rings at Home Depot they are the #47 O-ring pack of ten. They are just as good as Crosman's O-rings. I have never used a wood dowel rod or anything else but my fingers and a toothpick to install a new O-ring, but do see where that would be a good tip. I simply oil the O-ring with silicon chamber oil, bend it in half, insert one end then the other, then push whatever is left sticking out on into the groove with a small bent tool or toothpick. You just do not want to push beyond the groove. The dowel would prevent that.

I change my barrel O-ring after a oil cleaning because the oils have mineral spirits in them which dry out the rubber. Also, just to keep a new one in play. You will know when it is time to replace it when the guns starts sounding louder than normal. If it has been awhile, replace it and I bet your guns shoots a little quieter. You do not need to take the gun apart. With a little practice it becomes very easy to do.
22synrodn

Postby Punisher » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks, 22Synrodn. I'll definitely try that method. I've got the dental pic and a cleaning rod, so now I just need to get my big hands to fit in that tiny breech!
Thanks again. Much appreciated!
Punisher of pest birds.

.22 SynRod "El Diablo"

Punisher

Return to .22 Cal Marauders