New .22 Mrod and first PCP. Issues.

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

New .22 Mrod and first PCP. Issues.

Postby jacobpaschall on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:39 pm

I just unboxed my Mrod yesterday. First impression was good. Quality exceeded my expectations. Mounted a Leapers 3X9 scope and had and had a few different pellets to try. Started shooting today and was less than pleased. I pumped the gun up to 2600 psi and fired 10 shots at 20 yards (shotgun!). Not only did it shotgun all over the target, it used 1600 psi for 10 shots (160 psi per shot). I was down to 1000 psi after 10 shots. Read some posts on tuning and reset the three adjusments. I went counterclockwise all the way back on the 1/4 allen bolt and all the way back on the 1/8' allen bolt. I went back in clockwise 4 turns for each. I adjusted the velocity allen 3 and 1/2 out. I pumped back up to 2600 psi and tried four different pellets at 20 yards. I did this several times making adjustments along the way and can't get any of the pellets to shoot worth a darn. Probably about 1" groups at 20 yards. (Not exacly what I was hoping for.) The pellets I tried are JSB exact jumbo heavies, Crossman premier domes in the tin (which I guess is different than the cardboard box), benjamin discorery hp's, and polymag predators. I guess next will to to try CP's in the cardboard box, kodiaks, and h&n baracudas. I do have a crony, what speed do you think I would yield the best results. As far as the tuning of the 1/4 and 1/8 allen bolts, is this more for optimizing shots per fill or also accuracy? I must admit, I didn't find this forum until after ordering my Marauder. If I would have known how much tuning and tinkering was involved in getting this thing to shoot, I may have considered a different choice. On the other hand, if I can get it to shoot good; it will be worth it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated (Pellet types, tuning secrets, PSI, or optimum fps).
jacobpaschall

Re: New .22 Mrod and first PCP. Issues.

Postby joshheat25 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 pm

wow sorry to hear about this. I haven't bought a .22 cal marauder for this reason. I'm leaning towards .25 cal. hope someone on this board can help you out.. it may take a while for someone to respond
joshheat25

Postby Lammy1000 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:36 am

Try cleaning cleaning the barrell. There might be alot of filth in it due to the manufacturing process. How many psi/shot is it currently using...should be ~30 psi/shot for a .22.
Lammy1000

Postby spysir on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Either return it, or, talk to crosman and have them send you a new barrel (they are out of .177's and the last batch was GREAT! maybe they have ,22 barrels?). And adjustments have very very little to do with accuracy, it should shoot the same (though a different pellet might be best) from say 12fpe to 40fpe, so worry not about your adjustment skills. I had a .22 in the house for a while that shot 4" groups at 18 yards - an absolute record for any airgun I have ever seen- replaced the barrel, a quick and easy job, and it shot great.
And as you said you are new have you seen Jeff's blog?
http://avveduti.wordpress.com/2010/04/3 ... e-trigger/
that pages makes it the match trigger it was designed to be but do click around all his Marauder links.
And keep us all posted on how things turn out.
John
spysir

Postby warrior23 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I 'm in the same boat,I've managed to get my gruops down to about 1' at 30yds but I always get a flyer on my first shot and around the 7th shot again to open it up to 3 inches this is with CPs.The only pellets that are shootin better are the Double golds and not by much.I just got the 25Mrod a few days ago and thats like a lazer,I can pretty much put most of them in the same hole.
warrior23

Postby jacobpaschall on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate any info I can get. I shot it for a few hours yesterday and got it shooting decent. I was shooting the CP's from the tin. It wanted to group, but I would get the about one flyer out of five. Other than the flyers it was grouping under 1/2" at 25 yards. After getting it the best I though I could I took it out hunting on one of my buddies dairies. This gun was absolutely devistating on birds and squirrels. I probably took down 50 birds with only one miss. I also got six squirrels, all head shots. It was an absolute blast. I ordered four more pellets from pyramid. The CP's in the box, kodiaks, baracudas, and some AA's. I will give those a try and see if I can tighten up the groups without as many flyers.
jacobpaschall

Postby Lammy1000 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:52 pm

You said that 160 psi/shot was the air usage. How is this issue ?
Lammy1000

Postby jacobpaschall on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm

It is a lot better. I read the A team tuning instructions and made some adjustments. I pump it up to about 2500 psi. After 25 shots it's around 1200 psi. Probably not as efficient as it could be, but it's better than before.
jacobpaschall

Postby jlands on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Lammy1000 wrote:You said that 160 psi/shot was the air usage. How is this issue ?

at a 160 psi per shot, that's 1600 psi per ten shots or 3200 psi 20 shots. that's very bad.

in contrast, i don't even notice the gauge on my 22 move at all when i take a shot. i get about 40 "high powered" shots from 3000 psi to about 1400 psi. that's about 40 psi a shot. even that's high, but i average about 37 ft/lbs per shot. it is more efficient the higher my psi is. so at 3000 psi, i use less than 40 psi per shot, as the psi drops i use more than 40 psi per shot.

jared
I believe in gun control as long as I am the one controlling it. :)

jlands

Postby jacobpaschall on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm

I was using 160 psi per shot at first. After making adjustments, I'm at about 50 psi per shot. Maybe I will try pumping to 3000 psi and see if it becomes more efficient. Currently going from 2500 psi to 1200 psi before recharging, I'm getting between 20 and 25 shots per charge. I would like to get around 30-40 if possible. I will keep making adjustments and see if I can improve the shot count. Accuracy is very important to me and still an issue. I will try the new pellets. Hopefully one of them will shoot good for me.
jacobpaschall

Next

Return to .22 Cal Marauders