Made In America

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Made In America

Postby NorthernPike on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 am

When I decided to get a gun and start target shooting my number one requirement was that the gun be made in this country. I did a lot of research and found the Maurader to be the one for me. So I bought one. But nowhere on this gun does it say Made In America. Pictures of other Mauraders have the engraving. It was even one of the big selling points. It sold me. But I feel I was duped. Swindled. Taken for a fool. So what's the story here. Was my gun Made In China? God I hope not. If so, then Crossman has some explaining to do before I decide to sue them for false advertising. Which my lawyer, who said I have a case, is chomping at the bit to have me give him the go ahead. I don't want to do this but Crossman lied and I believe are still lying. Any advice. I was so excited to get this gun but when I finally did and realized it may not be Made In America, I felt like a fool. So until I get a satisfactory explanation, I am not going to be a very good reference for Crossman when people ask me what I think about them and thier products.
NorthernPike

Re: Made In America

Postby USMCShooter on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am

The first couple of thousand were made in America, and ALL are still assembled here with mostly American made parts....manufactured on Crosman's equipment. However, I believe that due to their initial barrel issues, they realized they may not have been ready for that level of precision when it came to the choking process....many of them were far too tight, therefore creating many accuracy issues. So, to my knowledge, they outsourced the barrels (for the .177's and .22's) from China, as are most of their barrels, with the exception of the .25 and the new Rogue, which are both supplied by Green Mountain, the renowned .22 and muzzle-loader barrel manufacturer, here in the states.

All this being said, a close friend of mine has been in their New York facility several times, with extensive tours, and assures me that over 90% of this rifle is manufactured in the USA, and 100% is assembled here. The barrels and all the fasteners are probably sourced from overseas. There are VERY few, if any fastener manufacturers here in the US that can mass produce like Crosman needs.

Air Force airguns, and Crosman are the only two US airgun manufacturers with true resident sites....that being said, Air Force uses Lothar-Walther barrels from Germany for their guns....and I'd wager that their fasteners also come from foreign sources.

So before you decide to file a lawsuit, understand that Crosman really does do their best to give us a quality, USA product, and their customer service is simply second to none. I work on a lot of airguns, and am close with several true 'Airgunsmith's', and compared to companies like air arms, daystate, theoben, BSA and a lot of the other high end guns, Crosman's customer service beats theirs hands-down.

I'd like to state also that I AM NOT affiliated with Crosman in any way, other than supporting their efforts and utilizing their products.....I'm an Active-Duty Marine, with over 27 years of service, and am happy that Crosman really does far more than any other company out there to give us airgunners what we ask for. And to my knowledge, are the only company that have people hired to specifically read these forums, provide feedback to their engineers and design guns based on what a majority of us want.

Semper Fi,

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby ran007 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:20 am

My personal opinion? I felt the same way as you. I called Crosman and they say everything is assembled here in the US. As one who knows a little bit about business, sometimes when a supply chain is low on parts, they have to find a supplier. They might run out of a male foster fitting. Their buyers will scramble to contact any supplier that can get them the parts at a reasonable price. Bottom line? It's possible all parts are made, as well as assembled in the US. However in some cases, isn't. So, thanks to your congressman, laws were passed to make companies like Crosman remove the Made in the USA label, even if one single part is bought from overseas.

Call Crosman and express your concerns. They will document your call and probably offer you a full refund, to protect them from a judgement. So, feel free to file a suit. What comes around goes around though. To me, it's not worth it. I personally don't think it will stand in court, for several factors. But, I'm not a lawyer. Sounds like someone just wants an opportunity to get a little money at my expense.

Best of luck. I hope you find that your gun shoots well, and your vindictive feelings will go away. I love my 22.

Randall R.
Randall
.22 Marauder, 80cf SCUBA Tank, Benjamin yoke adapter, Leapers 5th Gen 6-24x50. Pellet: H&N Baracuda Match 21.14gr, 5.51mm - 1/2" group @ 50 yards, 2400-1500psi.
ran007

Postby NorthernPike on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Thank you very much USMCShooter and ran007 for your very insitefull replies.

I would like to clear up one thing though. I am not out to make any money with a law suit. I have plenty of money. I am after the principal of it all. False advertising drives me nuts. Normally, lies and deceit can be sniffed out fairly easily, and I was a bit leary at first with the amount of bragging they did about the fact that they are supposedly American Made, but further research convinced me that they were for real.

Then, I get the rifle and nowhere does it say Made In America. I felt just like I did when I was 6 and got my first Lionel train set for Christmas but it didn't work because the transformer was defective. I never forgot the disappointment I felt. Now, I'm 53 and I felt the same way. Really disappointed. USMCShooter confirms many fine aspects of Crossman that I feel are correct and am glad for that. But to deceive a customer who's going to be spending a lot more money in this new hobby of target shooting is not very good business. My 2011 budget for this hobby is already at $5,000 for everything I want to do this year and it was all going to go to Crossman to buy my next rifles for Target, Trap and Skeet shooting which I plan on pursuing. And the 5 grand, which is already sitting in my hobby account ready to be spent, is maybe half of what my entire year will cost. But I'm afraid Crossman will nolonger be getting any of it.

If I thought for one minute that the rifle I would be getting did not have the Made In America engraving on it, I would not have bought it. And, for the record, will not be buying anything else from them in the furture. I simply can't trust them. I probably won't sic the lawyers on them but to use Made In America as a selling point over your competition and then not follow through is just plain wrong.
NorthernPike

Postby pb177 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 am

Well northernpike, since you asked for advice on a public forum, here is my advice:
Seek advice from qualified professionals. Consult your attorney on your rite to sue.

Now for my opinion:
I believe FTC set forth specific rules that dictate the percentage of parts that can be imported, then used for assembly of a product and still say “Made in America.”
Assembled in America may be more accurate but our lawmakers understand that we live in a global economy and allow “Made in America” if certain criteria is met.
I’m not an attorney, but I would think a reputable attorney would have knowledge of this and would have advised you of this already.

Either keep the product and enjoy it for what it is or return the product/ sell it.
Sue if you want to, but please don’t try the case on the forum.

After 53 years, a man of your claimed financial means, you should not be so naïve as to think that a $400 rifle would be 100% designed, manufactured, and completely produced in the USA, especially after being crushed with the disappointment of a broken train as a child on Christmas.

Maybe you should have done more research before allocating out of your $5000 budget. Perhaps you and your lawyer should research Federal Trade Commission’s “Made in America” Standard. I’m pretty sure Crosman’s attorneys did.

I really wish you had given the rifle a fair shake and judged it on it’s own merits instead of what was NOT etched on the side of a gun.
With an anticipation of spending $5-10,000 on airgunning this year, you choose to whine about your disappointment and the principal of not having a “Made in America” stamp, when you could have spread your wealth around to stock makers, tuners and artisans right here in the USA and had a truly magnificent, one of a kind rifle that would have been the envy of airunners the world over.

I really wish you the best of luck and hope you find great joy and satisfaction shooting whatever airgun you finally end up with.

Regards,
Paul
pb177

Postby ran007 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 am

Good point. Yeah, if I had $5000 to blow on this hobby, I definitely would not be purchasing a Marauder. Even if all the parts were manufactured on my property and assembled in my house... I probably would by a more suitable gun that would fit a $5000 budget. And... with that kind of money, I probably wouldn't eat a taco that only has 35% meat.
Randall
.22 Marauder, 80cf SCUBA Tank, Benjamin yoke adapter, Leapers 5th Gen 6-24x50. Pellet: H&N Baracuda Match 21.14gr, 5.51mm - 1/2" group @ 50 yards, 2400-1500psi.
ran007

Postby wlambert on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:27 am

Maybe we just have to face the fact that very few things are made 100% in America these days. Maybe we could cut Crosman a little slack and just enjoy shooting their guns.

wlambert
wlambert

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are killing me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, no offense, but if the Crosman Marauder isn't going to fit your bill because it's no longer 100% USA made then what will your next choice be? Hmmm, Perhaps you'd enjoy a nice Daisy Red Ryder! They're located in Arkansas.
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Roger on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I AGREE

IT IS HARD TO FIND ANYTHING 100% MADE IN AMERICA.

shoot straight
Roger
Roger

Postby jacobpaschall on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:24 am

Maybe the reason US companies like Crossman are having difficulty competing in the global market is becuase they have to employ an army of lawyers to defend them against petty law suits.
jacobpaschall

Next

Return to .22 Cal Marauders