How Accurate Can The .22 MRod Be When Stock?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

How Accurate Can The .22 MRod Be When Stock?

Postby shamu on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Had my .22 MRod for year now, manufactured in Dec '09. Been through about 2000 rounds, mostly Crossman premier brown box as this is by far the best I've found. Shot everything in the sample box from Straightshooters and only a Beeman FTS and one other came close to the premiers. I am still at stock settings and shoot from 2800 down to about 1800 psi. Scuba tanks are sweet. No chrony but that's my next purchase. Scope is a Lepers 5th gen 4-16X50. Shooting off a bipod front and sand bag in rear. After cleaning the barrel it takes a few clips to get it to settle down as I get flyers. Once it settles down I can get one hole groups in my basement at 45feet. They are about half the size of a dime. On occasion I can put 5 pellets through one hole no bigger than the pellet itself but this is somewhat rare. Is this considered acceptable accuracy for a stock MRod? I know that it can be sent out for fine tuning but not sure if I want to spend more $$$$. I have been considering ordering a new barrel from Crossman to see what that does. Even considered a conversion to .177 but that limits its use for hunting. Yesterday I bought some of the waxy bike lube from WalMart and found that a few drops of this shrinks the groups a tad bit more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
shamu

Re: How Accurate Can The .22 MRod Be When Stock?

Postby Lammy1000 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:07 am

With a clean barrel my .177 Marauder will shoot 5 shot groups of 0.47 to 1.3 inches at 57 yards. Believe it or not this gun likes Crosman Premier hollow points the best, beating "brown box" Premiers (both heavy and light) and several other brands. I believe my groups will improve when I find a better way to clean these pellets because lead slivers are still visible after my cleaning. These open groups up.
Lammy1000

Postby detox on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:32 am

Filling this rifle to 2000psi is plenty. I have my 22cal Marauder tuned using the A Teams low pressure tune and Accuracy and velocity are verygood. I shoot my best groups using 5.52mm H&N Baracuda Match pellets or Kodiak pellets. IMO the stock barrel shoots best when slightly dirty and leaded. Still learning.

http://www.crosman.com/blogs/croswords/?p=173

detox

Postby jimby on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:18 pm

shamu,

A couple of suggestions...

1. Most decent rifles will group well at 45 ft. Try to take it outside and shoot some groups at 25 or 50 yards. If you can still group tightly at 50 yards (shooting from a bag, of course), then you know you have a good rifle.

2. When you get your chrony, run a string of pellets through from 3000 to 1700 psi. This will tell you where the flat spot is in your power curve, and you will know where in the curve your pellet velocity deviates the least. This is where your rifle will perform best, and you will want to shoot within this curve for the best accuracy. You will also find out if your rifle was tuned properly when you received it; mine wasn't and I had to tune it myself.

3. My Marauder performs best with the H&N Baracuda Match pellets...giv'em a try.
jimby

Postby steveinla on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Shamu, tune it yourself! It's not that difficult at all. You have probably seen that I strongly recommend the ProChrono Digital model by Competition Electromnics for a chronograph. The shooting chrony company treated my like garbage. The good news is that I tried a ProChrono which is sooo much better of a chronograph. Here's why: It records 9 shot strings of up to 99 shots per string and gives you the data for all of those shots. This is important as you are going to get 4-6 magazines per fill and will want the data for all of those shots, not just ten like the shooting chrony locks you into. You will enjoy the tuning process which is outlined in your Marauder owner's manual. Give it a try. ;)

Check out this thread over on the TalonAirgunForum:
http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16554
Steve
p.s. ShootingChrony Inc. is a terrible company to deal with. Buy a Pro Chrono by Competition Electronics...they're made in the U.S.A.
steveinla

Postby joshheat25 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm

nice thread goin on here out of the box what has everyones best groups been? with what pellets.
joshheat25

Postby shamu on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated. Now to buy the pro chrono and move back to 50 yards......when it quits snowing and blowing here in west michigan.
shamu

Postby joshheat25 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:06 pm

I'll add to this page here hopefully on Sunday... my Mrod should be here saturday...
joshheat25

Return to .22 Cal Marauders