replaced my mrod barrel

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

replaced my mrod barrel

Postby wildcat on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:41 am

my mrod .22 would shoot a few good shots with cphp's then it would have a few flyers. it did this all the time, not just once in a while. the rifle also would not shoot any other pellet good. it was really frustrating. i did the mothers polish trick and it did nothing. so i called crosman and explained what was going on. they sent me a new barrel free of charge. i got it today and installed it. that was quite easy. i cleaned the bore real good with goo gone before installing. it has a tight choke on the end. i was surprised that it was only the last 1/2" of barrel that is choked. i thought it would be longer than that.

the barrel had this test target rolled around it. i wonder at what range this target was shot? if it shoots this good all the time i will be a happy camper!

Benjamin Marauder .22
BSA Lightning XL .22
Crosman 2240 Carbine

wildcat

Re: replaced my mrod barrel

Postby ran007 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:53 am

Good luck! Now go grab a tin of the H&N Baracuda 21.14's, Crosman Premier Box and maybe the JSB 18.1's... You'll find your sweet pellet out of these three.
Randall
.22 Marauder, 80cf SCUBA Tank, Benjamin yoke adapter, Leapers 5th Gen 6-24x50. Pellet: H&N Baracuda Match 21.14gr, 5.51mm - 1/2" group @ 50 yards, 2400-1500psi.
ran007

Postby Badger124 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Also replaced my MROD barrel, twice. After six weeks of frustration, trying most pellet types and barrel mods I called Crosman and got a new barrel, free. This tells me they have major problems with barrels and know it!
The new barrel was better, but not by much. It did not come with a sample target. Also, was extremely pellet picky.
Final solution, bought a Lothar Walter barrel. Because I live in "farm country" noise was not an issue. I had it machined to fit, keeping the 23.8" overall length. No shroud was used. This barrel groups well with ALL the pellets I have purchased, almost paying for itself as I had planned to give away those tins that I had tried in vain.
I'm sure the LW barrel is more consistant throughout it's length, but the main difference I see is in the inside diameter.
My Crosman barrels were .2185 with a choke at .2165. The LW barrel is .2155 with a .2125 choke. This smaller size means
almost every brand of pellet will engage the rifling properly.
Just an FYI, this LW barrel was their stock size, at .630 outside diameter. Hope this is of interest to our group. :) :)
Badger124

Postby steveinla on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 pm

HI Badger, I find your replacement of great interest. I would love to buy a .22 Marauder, but the Crosman barrells are junk. I was thinking the same thing; get a LW bbl and make it fit. Why aren't you using the shroud? Is the LW bbl too large in diameter to accept the muzzle flange, or is there another reason for not using it?
Thanks, Steve
Steve
p.s. ShootingChrony Inc. is a terrible company to deal with. Buy a Pro Chrono by Competition Electronics...they're made in the U.S.A.
steveinla

Postby Badger124 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Steve- Thanks for the interest! As a retired tool and die maker, all these measurements are in thousands of an inch. LW barrels come in 5 sizes, none the same as a stock Mrod. The stock LW barrel is (5/8 ) .625 diameter . All others are are a 6 week delivery. All are made in Germany.
The outside diameter of Mrod barrels is .437 (7/16)". The nearest fit to a stock Mrod would be to buy a 12 millimeter (.470) barrel and have it machined to fit. This would require work on both ends at a cost of about $70. This mod will work with the existing shroud.
Stock LW barrels are 23.8 " long, about 4" longer than stock Mrod barrels. They can be cut down if noise is an issue, but better velocity is achieved with the longer barrel. As stated, I have the luxury of being able to fire a 30-06 out the window with no problems. That is why I did not worry about the shroud/ baffles.
To replace the existing Mrod barrel with a LW barrel exactly, the blank would be turned to .437 and the length cut down to equal the actual length of the Mrod. Then it is chambered and an "O" ring groove and three set screw flats are cut. I'll be happy to guide you through the process, with dimentions, if desired. :)
Badger124

Return to .22 Cal Marauders