Getting ready to submit my 22 Marauder order...any advice?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Getting ready to submit my 22 Marauder order...any advice?

Postby RayK on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi all.

I'm assembling my order to submit and thought it wouldn't hurt to run it by some other Marauder owners to get opinions before I buy.

Here is what I have in my basket as of tonight:

The airgun and air fill (by scuba tank):
22 Benjamin Marauder (I think it comes with one magazine)
2 extra 10 round 22 magazines
AirForce Scuba Tank Adapter, DIN Connector (I have 3500 psi DIN scuba tank already and a DIN to K-valve adaptor from diving)

Optics:
Leapers Accushot 6-24x56AO SWAT Rifle Scope, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/8 MOA, 30mm Tube
UTG 30mm Rings, High, 3/8" Dovetail
Leapers Accushot SWAT Side Wheel For Range Estimation, 80 mm

Pellets:
Crosman Premier .22 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Domed
JSB Match Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22 Cal, 18.1 Grains, Domed

Specific questions I have:
Are the High rings too high for this scope on the Marauder? Would I be happer with the Medium rings?
What about the diameter of the side wheel? It comes in 30, 80, or 100mm. I've never used a side wheel, but many rave about them.

Thanks in advance!
Ray
RayK

Re: Getting ready to submit my 22 Marauder order...any advice?

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:00 am

Hi Ray, Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have all the bases covered. Although I can't comment on the .22 per say I think you can't go wrong with any of the models. However, it does seem the .25 is getting the best accuracy out of the box and is perhaps the least pellet sensitive of the three. Likely due to the Green Mountain barrel. If you haven't already done so, you may want to take a look here for your SCUBA adapter, exceptional quality: http://www.hamcontact.com/airgun/HoseAssembly/.

I just love this Leapers scope, I have had it for about 6 months now and has been dead on (even with constant adjustments with a elevation turret knob). I originally ordered a different Leapers scope but wasn't satisfied with the clarity (although it may have just been defective). Once you've used a side-wheel you will never want to go back, I went with the 80mm wheel (at the time there was no 30mm and the 100 just seems way to obtrusive).

I also have the UTG high rings which have a 21mm stand off (scope height), this will give you a shroud to front objective lens (without dust cover) clearance of just over 7mm. If there's one downside to having the 56mm lens and high rings it's the overall height which for me doesn't allow a proper and comfortable cheek weld (I'm looking to add a Accu-Riser comb riser to fix this problem). So finding a set of medium rings with the proper dimensions might be impossible but would be worth researching.

The .177 and .22 seem to be more pellet sensitive than the .25 and this will unfortunately require alot of trial and error as there is no guarantee from any two rifles of the same caliber. However, overall the Crosman Premier's seem to be a favorite amount most shooters. Hope this helps and best of luck. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby DaveShooter on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:24 am

Supercharged86 wrote:Hi Ray, Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have all the bases covered. Although I can't comment on the .22 per say I think you can't go wrong with any of the models. However, it does seem the .25 is getting the best accuracy out of the box and is perhaps the least pellet sensitive of the three. Likely due to the Green Mountain barrel. If you haven't already done so, you may want to take a look here for your SCUBA adapter, exceptional quality: http://www.hamcontact.com/airgun/HoseAssembly/.

I just love this Leapers scope, I have had it for about 6 months now and has been dead on (even with constant adjustments with a elevation turret knob). I originally ordered a different Leapers scope but wasn't satisfied with the clarity (although it may have just been defective). Once you've used a side-wheel you will never want to go back, I went with the 80mm wheel (at the time there was no 30mm and the 100 just seems way to obtrusive).

I also have the UTG high rings which have a 21mm stand off (scope height), this will give you a shroud to front objective lens (without dust cover) clearance of just over 7mm. If there's one downside to having the 56mm lens and high rings it's the overall height which for me doesn't allow a proper and comfortable cheek weld (I'm looking to add a Accu-Riser comb riser to fix this problem). So finding a set of medium rings with the proper dimensions might be impossible but would be worth researching.

The .177 and .22 seem to be more pellet sensitive than the .25 and this will unfortunately require alot of trial and error as there is no guarantee from any two rifles of the same caliber. However, overall the Crosman Premier's seem to be a favorite amount most shooters. Hope this helps and best of luck. Cheers. Steve
Hi Ray, Owning all 3 Mrods in all calibers and one Disco, I -2nd everything Steve has just told you. I am deeply impressed with the 25 cal and 177 cal Mrods for accuracy. Not that my 22 Mrod dosen't shoot good. If I could only have one it would be the 25 followed by the 177 cal. Whatever you get I am sure you will be happy with it as we all are . Good Shooting-Dave
DaveShooter

Postby RayK on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks for the input guys! Very helpful!

I emailed Joe asking the advantages of his hose rigs and below is his reply. I think you're right - the hoses are no place to scrimp.

Ray

1) Their hose is thicker in inside diameter and is made for paintball
pressure (800-1200 PSI). Theirs is 1/4" inside diameter versus mine is
0.070" in diameter. Mine uses less air in one foot than their does in one
INCH!!!! Less air wasted means more fill ups for your gun, and less fill
ups for your SCUBA tank.

2) 3 foot hose versus VERY short hose. MUCH easier to fill guns (I sell
replacment hoses all day long to these customers because they can't reach
the gun and it uses less air than their hose since it has a thinner ID.

2a) Their Hose is made for C02 (don't even know if it is truly rated to
3000 PSI working pressure). Mine is working pressure of 6900 PSI, and
failure of 50,000 PSI.

3) More precise, accurate and easy to read large 2.5" guage, glycerin
filled, and BAR/PSI reading

4) A bleeder that actually works and is easy to turn (all stainless steel
versus aluminum.)

5) My yoke is rated 4000 PSI, the highest of any SCUBA Yoke (I have yet to
see a competitors of high quality even go above 3300).

I understand times are tough, and I see why you might choose the other.
But, their is theirs is cheaper, for a reason. I am an engineer (Actually
a Physicist at one time), I put these together because I wanted the
highest quality and SAFEST hose assembly possible. I was tired of all the
CO2 rated hoses (800-1200 PSI) being used for 3000 or 4500 PSI service
that are failing in service. A lot of dealer were (and still are) using
this stuff.

If you ever get a chance, I invite you to check out one of my hose
assemblies, and one of theirs side-by-side. If you have a friend that has
one of mine, just ask what he/she thinks of it. I'd even let you try one
of mine, if you don't agree it is the best BY FAR, I'd let you return it.

Not being a high pressure sales guy, just proud of my quality.
RayK

Postby RayK on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 am

Just to make sure I understand you Steve, you like the 80mm side wheel? Would you go smaller (30mm) if you had a chance to do it over?

And you think it might be worthwhile to find some medium height rings that work with that scope to get the cheek height closer to right?

I'm going to have to think hard about the .25 caliber thing. That's pretty powerful for squirrels and crows.

Thanks again!

Ray
RayK

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Ray, You did say 30mm right? or did you mean 50mm? Becasue the turret knobs themselves are 30mm and I remember when I first got it that it was a little stiff to turn without the big wheel on there (no mechanical advantage you know). If I had to do over I'd get the 80mm again, I think you'll be very happy with this size. Plus makes it easier to carry in a case.

If you can find some quality medium rings in the 14-15 mm range then I think you'll just squeak it in (without the dust cover). Then again everyones facial features are different, you might be ok with the high's. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby RayK on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Steve.

I went back and checked on the side wheel, and I think you are right about the wheel.
The options are 80mm and 100mm. The 30mm was the inner hub size.

Some customer comments on PyramydAir said the medium rings work with that scope and the Marauder, so I'll give them a try. Worst case I end up exchanging them or buying a second set of higher rings.

The only remaining issue is 22 vs 25 caliber?
I have a 3500psi 120 cubic foot scuba tank. I was leaning towards 22 because with a 25 I was concerned that I would get so few shots per gun fill (I heard 8), and few fills per scuba tank fill (not many before I'm below 3000 psi on the scuba tank).
And what about noise? Quietness is very important. I read the 25 is a bit louder than the 22.
Plus I have pony bottles that go to 3000 psi. I was thinking I could use these with the 22 Marauder in some cases.

Ray
RayK

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 am

Ray, Yeah that sounds right, a 30mm hub ID. Unfortunately this is probably the only downside to the .25, an "airhog". If you were using a CF 4500 psi bottle this probably wouldn't be an issue but since the .25 comes tuned for a 3000 fill pressure and most probably don't change this, you'll only have 500 or so psi working pressure given your bottle constraints. If you haven't seen it yet here's the scope with the 80mm side wheel. Cheers. Steve

Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby RayK on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Beautiful!

Did the Leapers 6-24X56 come with that sun shade? Or was it an extra?

Also, how do you like your bipod (and which make/model is it)? Would you recommend it to another Marauder owner? I'm trying to decide if I need one (and I think I do with this combo).
It looks similar to this one: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_Tacti ... eight/3088
The Pyramyd Air package recommended this one for the Marauder http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_Unive ... _Mount/882

Thanks again!

Ray
RayK

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Ray, Thanks. Yes comes with the sunshade. The bipod is a Harris BRM-S (6-9" swivel), it' a little pricey but is absolutely rock solid! Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Next

Return to .22 Cal Marauders