Getting ready to submit my 22 Marauder order...any advice?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: Getting ready to submit my 22 Marauder order...any advice?

Postby RayK on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Steve.

I did some more research into the 25 vx 22 and I'm convinced to get the 25.

I really have to thank you! I really want a gun that is accurate (and silent) out of the box.

Now if I can just find someone who has them in stock....ideally at a lower price.
I sent email to AoA and they said they won't get any 25 until after next week.
I also asked a few other on-line retailers, but will have to wait until tomorrow to hear back since I got my questions off after business hours.

Also, how many good shots can one get with each gun fill on the 25? I've heard as few as 8 per fill.
And how many gun fills can I get from my tank? I have a 120 cubic foot 3500 psi tank, but I wonder if that may not get me very far with this gun.

I did a little more research. If I fill to 2700 and run down to 1700, and fill my 120 cubic foot scuba tank to 3500 psi, I can get 53 fills. That is plenty.
Now it really depends on the range of pressure where I can get good shots. I read that many find the gun shoots best if not filled above 2700 psi.
But I don't know the lower end (I just guessed).

Ray
RayK

Postby dogwood on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

have you tried Straight Shooters? I have no idea if they have them or not but they are great to deal with (got my .22 from them)

it's the nature of the beasty, you'll just need to play around with it and shoot it a lot to get a good feel for where it is happy fill wise

Sometimes wish I had waited for the .25, oh well.
dogwood

Postby RayK on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:23 am

I looked at Straight Shooters, but their price was so much higher than anywhere else.
I'd rather wait and save a few hundred dollars.

You can always get both the 25 and 22. That is what I may do if Benjamin improves the quality of their 22 barrels.
Or if Lothar Walthar eventually makes a drop-in replacement (that I can install myself) for the stock 22 barrel.
It just seems like this is the time to take advantage of the better barrel that comes only with the 25 Marauder.

Ray
RayK

Postby Supercharged86 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi Ray, Your very welcome, glad I could help. Unfortunately I don't have any data on the .25 shot strings but hopefully someone with one can give you a better idea. Good luck. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby dogwood on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm

I had gotten my marauder from SS when they had them on sale for $399, so I always thing of their price as good :)
dogwood

Postby avv604 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm

RayK wrote:Hi all.

I'm assembling my order to submit and thought it wouldn't hurt to run it by some other Marauder owners to get opinions before I buy.

Optics:
Leapers Accushot 6-24x56AO SWAT Rifle Scope, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/8 MOA, 30mm Tube
UTG 30mm Rings, High, 3/8" Dovetail
Leapers Accushot SWAT Side Wheel For Range Estimation, 80 mm

**I would not purchase the Leapers scope. Personally, I like the Hawke scopes. They have better glass and better warranty. I have owned two Leapers scopes and the Hawke scopes I have now are head and shoulders above the Leapers.

Pellets:
Crosman Premier .22 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Domed
JSB Match Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22 Cal, 18.1 Grains, Domed

**The JSB 18grains are the best in my .22. I am not sure that I would go with a .25. I have hit rabbits out to 76 yards with ease with my .22. Some are hitting varmints even further (100 to 125 yards). Cheaper pellets, more shots per fill, still works well at lower pressure, still very accurate.... but the .25 does have a bit more FPE. I don't see the huge advantage, but that is me.

Specific questions I have:
Are the High rings too high for this scope on the Marauder? Would I be happer with the Medium rings?
What about the diameter of the side wheel? It comes in 30, 80, or 100mm. I've never used a side wheel, but many rave about them.

Thanks in advance!
Ray

The Hawke high mounts work very, very well. I have a Hawke Sport HD IR on my .22. It was only $80. Yes, yes, I know.. no side wheel. Should one spend $200 for a Leapers or $80 for better optics and better warranty but no side wheel. I opted to save the money and save for a regulator. :)

Really, if you have to have a side wheel, spend a few extra bucks and get a good scope. The Leapers I had was okay, but again... for the same price range there is much better.
The larger sidewheel the better... typically. You will have more surface area for remarking your yardage. With the small one you don't have much room to make your yard markings.
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

Postby avv604 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 pm

RayK wrote:Hi Steve.

I did some more research into the 25 vx 22 and I'm convinced to get the 25.
I really have to thank you! I really want a gun that is accurate (and silent) out of the box.

Now if I can just find someone who has them in stock....ideally at a lower price.
I sent email to AoA and they said they won't get any 25 until after next week.
I also asked a few other on-line retailers, but will have to wait until tomorrow to hear back since I got my questions off after business hours.

Also, how many good shots can one get with each gun fill on the 25? I've heard as few as 8 per fill.
And how many gun fills can I get from my tank? I have a 120 cubic foot 3500 psi tank, but I wonder if that may not get me very far with this gun.

I did a little more research. If I fill to 2700 and run down to 1700, and fill my 120 cubic foot scuba tank to 3500 psi, I can get 53 fills. That is plenty.
Now it really depends on the range of pressure where I can get good shots. I read that many find the gun shoots best if not filled above 2700 psi.
But I don't know the lower end (I just guessed).
Ray

In past dealings with AoA, it has been hit and miss. I ordered the .22 M-rod from them and it took in excess of 6 weeks to get it. In calling AoA, it seems they rarely answered the phone. It was hard to get a hold of them. I called Precision Air and ordered a .177 M-rod. I received the M-rod in a week. Jim at Precision is just a delight to deal with and could answer more questions than AoA. Also, Jim asked how I was filling the M-rod. At the time all I had was a pump. He asked about the connection I had. I did not have anything. I purchased the proper adapter for my pump from Jim with the .177 M-rod. AoA never asked any other questions other than inquiring about my credit card number. Just me... but I would shy away from AoA.

In my experience with both Marauders, you will not be able to use 1000 psi for your shots. I seem to use about 500 - 700 psi to stay within 20fps spread (18-20 shots) for 30+ FPE. Your .25 will be a major airhog so that air tank will empty fast. I like the .22 for this reason. More shots per fill and I have it adjusted to a lower pressure so I have more fills on my air tank. I am not sure how the .25 will perform at lower pressures. I would presume the same... but many have made presumptions (including myself) about the Marauder and shown to be incorrect.

Once you get your M-rod, on my blog I show how to lighten the trigger to only a few ounces. It is a reversible modification and is easy. You will love the "new" trigger. :)
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

Postby RayK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks guys!

Good input Jeff! Yes, I read your blog about the easy trigger lightening. I'm definitely going to try everything with my Marauder when it gets here, but I plan to shoot it stock for at least 200 shots before I consider making any changes.
The depinger seems like a no brainer and maybe the Mr Clean Magic eraser in the shroud if it is noisy (I've heard the 25 is a bit nosier than the 22 and 177 - at least stock, aothough many are boosting their 22 up to max power which seems to get the nosie back up there).

I already have a 22 RWS 52 that I really like. This 25 Marauder will be my first PCP, but we'll see which way I go after some experience with both.

I've heard some go back to springer while others favor the PCP. I think I may like both.

The Maccari tune kit for my 52 is in the mail, so I'll have to see how it performs after I super tune it. I'm going to do the trigger on that one too as the stock trigger is just ok.

Ray
RayK

Postby RayK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 am

avv604 wrote:I would not purchase the Leapers scope. Personally, I like the Hawke scopes. They have better glass and better warranty. I have owned two Leapers scopes and the Hawke scopes I have now are head and shoulders above the Leapers.
The JSB 18grains are the best in my .22. I am not sure that I would go with a .25. I have hit rabbits out to 76 yards with ease with my .22. Some are hitting varmints even further (100 to 125 yards). Cheaper pellets, more shots per fill, still works well at lower pressure, still very accurate.... but the .25 does have a bit more FPE. I don't see the huge advantage, but that is me.
The Hawke high mounts work very, very well. I have a Hawke Sport HD IR on my .22. It was only $80. Yes, yes, I know.. no side wheel. Should one spend $200 for a Leapers or $80 for better optics and better warranty but no side wheel. I opted to save the money and save for a regulator. :)

Really, if you have to have a side wheel, spend a few extra bucks and get a good scope. The Leapers I had was okay, but again... for the same price range there is much better.
The larger sidewheel the better... typically. You will have more surface area for remarking your yardage. With the small one you don't have much room to make your yard markings.

The place I ordered the 25 Marauder didn't have any scope I wanted, so I ordered it without a scope. I actually have a nice Hawke scope on my RWS 52 - a 4-12X40 Airmax, so I'm going to try that one on my Marauder for a while to see how I like it.
The optics on the Hawke are very good for the money - even in low light, which is the real test for me.

I was interested in trying the side wheel as many rave about them. Having the adjustment on the objective lens housing (as on my Hawke) is really awkward - especially if you are shooting while standing. But you are right, it isn't worth sacrificing optics quality for better features.

It shows the impact of input from users in this forum. I was ordering a 22 Marauder with 6-24X56 Leapers scope and now I'm getting a 25 Marauder with 4-12X40 Hawke scope.

Ray
RayK

Postby RayK on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 am

My Marauder arrived! Yeah!

But it is 25 caliber, so I guess I'll have to move over to that sub forum.

I put a post about it there.

I'll be back when I get a 22 caliber!

Thanks to all for input in helping me select model and modifications.

Ray
RayK

PreviousNext

Return to .22 Cal Marauders