Any Pellets I Should Consider?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: Any Pellets I Should Consider?

Postby 21grains on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Baracuda match 5.51 OK, Beeman Kodiak better, Baracuda Match 5.52 Best so far. Greg Davis now uses Baracuda match 5.53 Trying to get some, AoA is out. Greg got the last 5.53s from AoA.....Franky
21grains

Postby bushido on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Mine shoots the Kodiaks into a ten shot half inch group at 30 yards. The JSB's about EIGHT inches at the same distance.
bushido

Postby USMCShooter on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:30 am

I've posted about it a few times here and on other forums....all of the Mrods (13 now) that I've unboxed and tuned have absolutely hated anything with a head diameter of .216 (some will go down to .215, but not many)...... .217 is the best bet I've found.....or anything larger than that.....I've sent several tins of (supposedly) 5.52mm JSB exacts back to pyramid for measuring 5.51 or smaller....but true, 5.52's shoot like a laser in all of them.....

Whichever one's your gun likes, put calipers on them and see what they average....then try other brands to see which ones correlate.....

s/f

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby Roger on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:26 pm

I agree with Jamie. After reading his post I decided to mic a few of my CPs, the ones you get in the box my gun shoots these pellets with extreme accuracy. I am talking about kitchen matches shot in half at 35 yards. The reason I like the CPs in the 625 count box is because every pellet that is in that box is from the same die, yes they are a little pricey, but I think they are worth the money. I do not hunt with my Marauder I shoot it for the pure joy. I have other air rifles I use to hunt with.When I put the mic on the CPs they were at, you guessed it .217 Thanks Jamie for the info.

shoot straight
Roger
Roger

Postby USMCShooter on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 am

Wow Roger,

You must have gotten a good box....I tried them and it was hit and miss....but you are right, if one of them is .217, they all will be....I sent 3 of 5 boxes back to Pyramid when I was trying them....they are more consistent than the tins....I just wish they'd drop the price back down on them....

A few years ago when the lead prices went through the roof, they almost doubled in price....well, the lead prices are back down to nearly what they were before.....and it was only for about 6 months that the lead was so expensive.....but there has been no subsequent rollback in prices on the pellets....unfortunately.

The best, most reliable bet in pellets I've found yet, consistency-wise, are the JSB exact 15.9gr....usually i'll buy 8 tins at a time, and if they're true 5.52 head diameters, then they usually all are....that normally lasts me about 6 months worth of plinking.....I use predators exlusively for hunting in .22.....I'll shoot them to test or re-test a gun, but at their price, plinking is a bit expensive...lol.

Ironically enough though, the 16gr preds shoot about 1/2 inch higher at 35yds than the 15.9gr JSB's....at 25yds they're nearly identical....so close enough for plinking purposes for me....just the aerodynamics of the pellet I guess.

s/f

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby detox on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 am

You will be lucky to find JSB 5.52mm (.21732) haed size pellets. Before ordering pellets ask that they measure BEFORE shipping. My Marauder hates the 18.1gr JSB pellets, but they measure the smaller 5.49mm (.21614).

Predators shoot best from my Marauder and have a 5.525mm head diameter.

Her's a fairly accurate pellet chart:
http://www.straightshooters.com/documen ... rison.html

detox

Postby Roger on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Jamie, once again thanks for the info. You got me curious as to the head size of the CPs. I have another box of the CPs unopen with the same lot number, which means they should be from the same die as the other box so I put the mic on them. They are the same!

CPs are not pure lead they add an alloy to their process it makes the CPs harder than other pellets, which in my opinion makes them more uniform and harder to damage. I do have a habit of sorting pellets, dives my wife nuts.

I have a bunch of BEEMAN Kodiaks that I got several years ago and my gun groups well shooting them, but not as good as the CPs. The head size are not as consistent as the current CPs that I have.I guess I need to find out if that same lot number is still available.

shoot straight
Roger
Roger

Postby Roger on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Has anyone thought abought mrhollowpoint. He makes bullets NOT PELLETS but BULLETS for .22 and .25 and for alot of other cal. for air gun use.I am not sure if the Marauder is capable of pushing a mrhollowpoint bullet. I have some 22 cal.bullets on order for my RWS PCP Rifle . This is the same rifle that the A Team used about 12 years ago.The RWS is no longer avalible ,at this time my 707 is pushing Eun Jim Hunting pellets at close to 1100fps. I hope the mrhollowpoint bullets is a go getter for the RWS 707.

I shoot my M Rod for enjoyment.

rock steady--------recon
shoot sright
Roger

Postby AR1516 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:32 am

Being new to the PCP game still learning here. I bought a bunch of different pellets to try in my 22 cal mrod. I have been mainly using crosman premier hollow point and domed. The gun seems to like these O.K. seem fairly accurate. The barracuda 21.14gr match also do well. My gun does not like RWS superpoint extras 14.5gr, these shoot all over the place (too much air?). Gamo Masterpoint 16.20 gr won't fit in the clip. Gamo TS-22, 22gr seem to shoot well. Still have a lot of playing to do to figure out what works best.
AR1516

Previous

Return to .22 Cal Marauders