LW barrel replacement. NE1 Tried it?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

LW barrel replacement. NE1 Tried it?

Postby Benzin on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:02 pm

I consider the accuracy on my marauder to be "OK", maybe even very good considering the ammount of money i payed for it, but i would like to have more accuracy.
I am aware that accuracy depends on a lot of things (ergonomics, using the right pellet, proper optics/aiming devices, and specially the guy pulling the triger! hehe), but i think that (apart from the operator), the 2 most important things for an airgun to be accurate, are:
1- consistency in its power output (in other words, it should be able to keep the pellet velocity as constant as possible)
2- the quality of the barrel.

In my case, i have configured my gun with accuracy, and ease of operation as the main concerns. This means i do not get 40FPEs of energy, nor i get 40 or 50 shots per fill, instead i only get 20 shots per fill, shooting medium weight pellets (H&N Field Target trophy) at an average of 898FPS, but with an extreme spread (ES) of only 19FPS for the whole string (i consider an ES of over 20FPS inadecuate for long range shots over 50 meters), and i get this filling at "only" 2500psi (ease of use, my 3000psi scuba gives me a lot of fills, and in case i have to use a pump, 58 strokes is enough to fill the gun).

So, considering that my gun is "OK" in the consistency department, the next logical thing to do to increase accuracy, would be to get a better barrel, and in thinking about a Lothar Walter one. But before i consider spending money and time on getting and installing one, i would like to hear opinions from people who have allready replaced their factory crossman barrels for better quality ones.
¿Did you notice a significant improvement in accuracy?
¿In your opinion, was the extra expense justified?
¿Where did you get your barrel and how much did you pay for it?

Any input and opinions would be much appreciated.
Benzin

Re: LW barrel replacement. NE1 Tried it?

Postby USMCShooter on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Benzin,

Greg Davis has offered LW barrels with his tune, or you can buy one direct from him and put it in yourself. He does several different ones, longer, with only 1 baffle (a bit too loud for what I needed), medium with 2 baffles (much better and close to factory stock, with a slight improvement in MV), and stock configuration. However, you must understand that the LW barrels are slightly larger diameter, and take up a little more room in the shroud, which makes it less effective...so it's going to get a 'little' louder no matter which length you put in.

Now for 'better' accuracy? Depends on your version of 'ok' accuracy out of yours. Mine will shoot MOA out to 100yds with pellets it likes...and I've gotten many sub-MOA groups to 75yds....I shot an LW in mine for around 1000 shots and it did not 'outperform' the factory barrel...but, I don't think you're going to beat sub-MOA out of a non-regged gun....so I sent the barrel back to Greg....

If you order a barrel from Greg, understand that he and Roald are absolutely swamped with guns, and have been for months....with both of them working long hours, they're barely keeping their heads above water, so expect around a 30-day wait, even for just a barrel....they have to cut them down to your specs...

s/f

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby spysir on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Do you really need one? Exactly how good/bad are your groups? Ever consider a $23.00 new barrel from crosman, the currents ones are great! I have put an LW barrel on a Bam50, it shot well (well= MOA) that was a .177 what shot even better was an HW barrel from Mac-1 only $80.00 -LW is $114.00(?) before machining and an LW is NOT blued- this is the barrel used on the USFT an airgun generally considered to group well enough for most shooters.
The machining is what will cost you, while a machinest "could" do the work in 20 minutes in reality with set up for three opperations and "shop rate" I cant see anyone wanting less than $50.00 for the work.
I would note the LW barrel being choked did like a variety of pellets and the HW only like one or two types of pellets, as I always shoot what ever pellet an airgun likes the HW works best for me.
And again the current Marauder barrels seem to be great.
So exactly what size are your groups?

Now for quiet: I will still stick by the fact (of the few airguns I have tried out) an EFFECIENT air stripper inside the tube and just NO baffels will be quieter that the stock marauder, a marauder with a good air stripper and baffles you just would not hear.

John
spysir

Postby NitroPhil on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:46 pm

What is an air stripper?
NitroPhil

Postby diarmadhim on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:10 pm

an air stripper is a device fixed to the end of the barrel, like a muzzle brake. The concept is to use a cone or some other design to redirect air away from the pellet as it exits the gun. So the pellet will travel in "clean" air.

diarmadhim

Location: Small town Southern Oregon soon to be small town Central Oregon

Return to .22 Cal Marauders