Found new stock maker

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Found new stock maker

Postby bob7346 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 am

Needless to say I hate the stock Mrod stock, I don't know who they made it for, but It wasn't me for sure. Since I shoot FT exclusively it makes the problem worse. After making the butplate and cheeck riser mod, it helped, but still not there.
So, I've been on a quest the last two months to find a better stock. Although I have searched high and low, either it is way to expensive, or the stock maker has a bad reputation.
While cruising the yellow forum I ran across a stock maker Gunwerks @ www.airgunstock.com (aka Mike Abernethy). I sent him an Email yesterday morning telling him what I wanted. When I got home last night, he had already answered it, and my questions. Although he didn't have exactly what I wanted, he recommended one that was close. I immediately sent him another Email with afew more questions, which he answered within an hour, so I placed an order on the spot.
He may turn out to be a total flake, but I don't think so.
The things I like so far: He responds fast, his previous work looks great, he makes a DIY reasonably priced stock, he seems inteligent, knowledgeable and has a sense of humor.
I'll keep you posted as things progress, but I finally have a good feeling about this guy.
Bob
bob7346

Re: Found new stock maker

Postby spysir on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Bob,
My bad (I think the kids say these days), I forgot well know in the good ole days Mike Abernethy started making "DIY" stock again, and I should have recomended him. He made stock for years, stoped for a while which many people regretted (brought premium used stocks from hijm for a while) and a year or so ago he got back into the stock making thing.
Here are a few pictures of a TX stock he made (note for others DIY stock YOU get to finish, which is time well spent).

Many people in FT have Abernethy stocks and love them, if you pay for nice wood you get nice wood!
Please do keep us posted on what he can do for you and I believe you can honestly tell him there are other FT shooters who want stock for a Marauder!

John
spysir

Postby spysir on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:20 pm

one more thought (and perhaps I already posted it?) you might consider an adjustable pad from rapidairweapons:
http://rapidairweapons.com/page8.html
John
spysir

Postby bob7346 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:47 pm

John:

Thanks for the info on Mike. He is putting me on the list for his standard thumb hole design.

My best friend is going to do my finish for me, he is a perfectionist and great artist.

He is going to try to adapt the the butt plate from his P70 FWB, he recently switched to PCP and replaced his original one.
If it doesn't work I will definitly try the one you linked me to, good price and made of aluminum both. It looks better than the plastic one I used on my Mrod stock.

Bob
bob7346

Return to .177 Cal Marauders