Tired of cheap Airguns!!

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Tired of cheap Airguns!!

Postby ProFox on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 pm

This is my very first post. I have been in pest control for 8 1/2 years now and have finally started my own business. I have been shooting an air rifle since the begining. Since I have always worked for someone else it seems they were always unwilling to spend over $150 for a good rifle. It seemed that every time I needed to use the rifle I would ALWAYS have problems. I understand that it very well could be operator error, hence why i'm here. Air rifles that I have owned in the past are the Gammo "Big Cat", Rws Diana .22, and one that I don't know the name of. I really liked the RWS but one day when cocking it the stock snapped. I am ready to buy a new rifle and the one I'm looking at is the .177 Marauder because of the great reviews I've found on line. Here is the link of what I'm thinking of buying tonight https://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/cart ... el_id=3621
Can you guys please tell me if you think this is a good deal? It won't let me substitute anything witch sucks because I was thinking I would need a better scope mount. I need all the help I can get!
ProFox

Re: Tired of cheap Airguns!!

Postby Masked Marauder on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Where and what are you pesting, caliber choice can be important. If in an urban environment and small critters the .177 would do nicely, if in the country and bigger pests are to be dispatched a larger caliber my be in order.

What you have in your cart will work depending on your circumstances.

MM
Masked Marauder

Postby lamerabbit on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:13 am

Well: :D

I would be the first to tell you that the Marauder is a great gun; I am not sure it is the best starter type air rifle. I see the M-Rod as a sort of a kit gun. Sure, some come from the factory just fine, but many don't! While there are few real problems with the M-Rod it does seem to have a lot of nit picks, so to speak. While the barrel shroud coming loose is no big deal, same with the muzzle cap on the shroud, it is quite annoying. Then there is that extra trigger spring that can lift a school bus.... Charging from a hand pump can also cause problems in a wet environment.

I live in Florida, and when my tanks ran out enough air, and needed a hydro, started using a hand pump. Everything was fine at first, but as spring turned to summer, and the humidity went to 90 plus percent my accuracy on my pre-charge air rifles went south! Water and steel don’t mix well for long, and I am not sure why, I just know that my guns would not shoot as they should.

I was us to shooting inside a ¾ inch hole at 40 yards with few misses, this is/was a bell type field target, with a ¾ inch hole it. However that changed when I started using the pump, and yes I waited more than 30 minutes after pumping up the gun to shoot it, and sometime I would pump it up and then shoot it the next day, waiting a full 24 hours, between the pumping and the actually shooting. I switched back to the scuba tanks and the accuracy returned to my rifles.

Again I feel that the M-Rod is one of the best PCPs for the money, I not sure it would be my first choice for some one who is just starting out in airguns. There are so many pit falls in airgunning that that it is hard to say what you should buy.
If you go with the M-Rod, be sure and read every problem post you can find, like where the striker adjustment comes loose, and you need to disassemble the gun! In fact, there is such a long list of minor things that can go wrong with the M-Rod that I won’t even try to cover them here. I am not trying to discourage you I am only trying to warn you, to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

In other words, be prepared for a large learning curve, however it is quite worth it, as I can sit in the field target position and consistently shoot inside the ¾ inch hole at 40 yards, I can also shoot inside a 1 inch hole at 55 yards, wind permitting. Many days are spent aiming completely off the kill zone, just to get the pellet in the hole at those distances…

Jim :geek:
lamerabbit

Postby Poohw on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi, I am 72 years old and I have been shooting air guns for over 60 years of them.
I say this so you will know I am not just some kid trying to pull your leg.
I too am new to the pcp gun market. I am just glad I was not reading these forums before buying my
mrod or I think I would have never bought one. All the hipe I read is enough to scare someone to a different
type or make of gun.
I have the 177cal. and I am having a blast using it.
I use the scuba tank for my refills. I know that it will take
down, skunks,squirrels,pigeons,raccoons,possums,and all types of birds.
So if you are not hunting buffalo I think you will do well with this air rifle in this caliber. The 177cal shoots flatter longer than the .22 or .25 does. I sure like mine. Oh by the way I shoot a 30 round quarter size hole from 35 yards just leaning against a post. Not bad for an old man with bad knees huh..
Anyways.....Good luck on you new profession..

Pooh
Poohw

Postby lamerabbit on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Oh Pooh:

Sorry, but I just had to say that, He, He, Ha, Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
lamerabbit

Postby Poohw on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

now act your age sonny!!! he he back
Poohw

Postby JJJ on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am

Hi, well here is my two cents worth. I'm extremely happy with my rifle in .177
however, I think if I was in pest control mode I would consider the marauder pistol.
I think having a gun with the capability of having rifle or pistol qualitys would rock also I think .22 would be better
as the kill zone expands a bit. Either way I would use a SCUBA or SCBA as it's lots easier I don't mind a bit of a work out but when I want to shoot, I want to shoot not work out.
Have fun I'm sure that any of the Marauders will do what you want and pay for themselves over time.
Take care,
JJ
JJJ

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm

How's an additional $200+ savings sound? Your looking into two Mrods, etc. ?? Use coupon code winter2010, https://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl. If a handpump is your only option then fine, otherwise, I'd look at HPA, you'll enjoy shooting ALOT more. Likewise, I'd probably not go with the high rings with a 50mm AO, unless you have "long" facial features. I think you'll be better suited and will have a better checkweld with mediums. I'd take a few measurements and do some math, follow along here: http://www.marauderairrifle.com/forum/v ... f=16&t=808, then check into some medium's. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby ProFox on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and got the rifle that night and its due to arrive on 4/2. I am just glad that this airgun has a forum dedicated to itself. I will for sure be posting updates and videos about my experiences. Oh and the reason I chose the. 177 is because I already own a. 22 RWS and mostly shoot birds, squirrels and rabbits.
ProFox

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Did you use the coupon code for the additional savings?
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Next

Return to .177 Cal Marauders