Realistic Max Range

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: Realistic Max Range

Postby s_tones on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 am

Ranging using Google Earth! Awesome.
Measured all my distances in yards from various blinds around the property.
60 yards is about the outside of the envelope. Can hit them consistently there in calm winds.
s_tones

Postby slayer1962 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 pm

poohw.
Not knocking the Maruader at all. I have a .25 and love it.
I was just pointing out that a heavier pellet and a little more velocity goes a long way.
I have over $1200 in to my condor and $500 in a Maruader not a fair comparison. lol
My Marauder is my go to gun under 50 yards for squirrels. So I shoot my Marauder way more than my Condor!
I have a daystate that shoots circles around any other gun I own including powder burners but it is not fair to compare to a $500 gun. The Marauder is an awesome gun for the $$
slayer1962

Postby Boris on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:03 pm

slayer1962 wrote:poohw.
I have a daystate that shoots circles around any other gun I own including powder burners

Are you implying that your daystate's groups are larger and wouldn't hit the center, just outside and around?
On the bad day I am also able to hit my targets left and right, just not in the center.
Just kidding. (pun intended)
Boris

Postby rhorgan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 pm

I have spent a lot of time testing long range shooting with both my .177 Marauder as well as my .22 Condor.

I originally was comparing both Air guns to see which was better at various ranges and have come to the concensus, that will everything taken in consideration, I declare a draw :D

I find that wind, even a slight breeze < 3 mph can and does have a huge impact on longer ranges. Utilizing Chairgun pro to calculate adjustments, I can successfully take out Starlings at 77 yards with both guns on a still day. From my perspective on a windless day, shots up to 100 yards are possible and anything over that range is out of my zone of comfort. Once you add the element of wind to longer range shooting and a breeze kicks up especially when the wind speed changes frequently, all bets are off as far as consistency is concerned. On those days I feel confident that 50 - 60 yards become the reliable range of long distance shooting.

Having said all that, I am not an expert nor trying to represent myself as one. I am only sharing my own experiences.
rhorgan

Previous

Return to .177 Cal Marauders