Lay it down or lean against a wall

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Lay it down or lean against a wall

Postby Plinkington on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:56 am

I have to do a little scope adjusting every time I take the Marauder out, its no biggie...just seem to get slightly off every time I set it down. I'm wondering if it has to do with the way I store the rifle, most of the time I just set it in the corner.
Could it be that when I set it down the scope gets slightly skewed? Also, I always seem to be shooting at different fill levels, maybe full...maybe 1700 / 2000 psi, should I be starting shooting sessions at the same fill?

Anyway, I'm extremely thrilled about this rifle, & really have no complaints at all, having to adjust a scope is hardly anything to complain about, I'm just curious as to whats going on.

Thanks for any help...
Plinkington

Re: Lay it down or lean against a wall

Postby hawkeye on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Plinkington wrote:I have to do a little scope adjusting every time I take the Marauder out, its no biggie...just seem to get slightly off every time I set it down. I'm wondering if it has to do with the way I store the rifle, most of the time I just set it in the corner.
Could it be that when I set it down the scope gets slightly skewed? Also, I always seem to be shooting at different fill levels, maybe full...maybe 1700 / 2000 psi, should I be starting shooting sessions at the same fill?

Anyway, I'm extremely thrilled about this rifle, & really have no complaints at all, having to adjust a scope is hardly anything to complain about, I'm just curious as to whats going on.

Thanks for any help...

What I would try to do is eliminate the variables that can cause a change in POI. In your case the starting pressure in your rifle is something you can keep consistant. So with that said, try starting your shooting with the same pressure and see if your POI changes. I also assume that the range at which you shoot is constant. I check my scope POI at 20 meters. I chose 20 meters because first it is available in my back yard ;) , and by zeroing at this range I get a good relatively flat trajectory almost out to 50 meters. By the way, I have a .177 Mrod (with a Leapers 3-9X 40mm scope) that is tuned to give me about 925 fps at 2500 psi using CPH 10.5 gr pellets. That gives me about 20 fpe at the muzzle and roughly 12 fpe at 25 meters. Other items that can reduce the variables when shooting might be a good rifle bench rest of some sort to keep a steady aim. I forgot ask what kind of scope do you have? Hope this helps...

I
hawkeye

Postby Plinkington on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks hawkeye,
My scope is the - Leapers 5th Gen 4x32AO Bug Buster Scope, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 1" Tube

I liked it for its compact size, at the time it was about all I could afford, I had planned on upgraded...but I dont see any need for that now.

So far it seems to really like CPHP & H&N Barracuda's, not so much CP pointed. I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot in my backyard anytime of the day or night.

thanks again
Plinkington

Postby jlc on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:25 am

I have a .22 and .177 and other than the fill pressures being the same and shoot down to a certain pressure, when i fill the guns
i have a small ergo type chair just to balance the gun while i attach it to the scuba, anyway i make sure i am not putting any
pressure on the barrel (free floating band), ie not slightly, inadvertently moving the bands distance around the barrel. also when ever i put the gun down
it either goes in the case, when i check the target, or it is in a gamo maintenance stand. again to guard against an accident
or inadvertently putting any pressure on the barrel that could affect the band, this band should have equal spacing around the barrel.

I use a shooting bench and sand bag when zeroing, again to eliminate my self induced variables from screwing up the zero.

I have the Leapers 3 X 12 X 44, and i do check, every once in awhile (2 weeks or so) , that the screws are snug.
jlc

Postby RayK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 am

It is most likely that something is wrong with your scope mount, or there is something wrong with your scope.
Although it could also be your pellets or your shooting form. Or your pellet lube. KryTech is about the only good way to lube pellets after washing and drying.
If it is all correct, you should not see a shift from session to session.

Lay down or lean against a wall are both fine as long as you aren't bumping your scope against anything.

What mounts are you using?

Ray
RayK

Postby Supercharged86 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:14 am

I do both, lay it down on it's right side (side wheel is on the left) and lean it against the kitchen counter (which has a slight overhang, and therefore allows the Mrod to stand up to a fairly steep angle) without any issues to date. Making sure the mounting rings are always tight and trying not to hit the scope on anything should be key. This of course is not to say you don't have an internal defect, like others have mentioned. Good luck. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Plinkington on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:25 am

Hey thanks guys,
I think the best thing for me to do is post a pic. The rings are from a different set-up & cant remember where I got them from, the scope is so small the rings clear the breech opening by just about 1/2 inch.

I'll postsome pics tonite. However, the last two sessions I started with the same fill pressure & didnt have to do any adjustments.

Thanks again...
Plinkington

Postby Happy on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Hey jlc,
I need some info....in ur post u've said...the barrel is floating.....the clamp (Guide) in the front next to the filling adaptor
should not be touching the barrel......is it supposed to be that way....cause my marauder came with the clamp ring touching the barrel
pls let me know....
thanks and regards
Happy.
Happy

Postby Berniep on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:37 am

Yes there needs to be a gap all the way around the barrel shroud.
At least that's what everyone says to check first when you have accuracy problems.
Berniep

Return to .177 Cal Marauders