New .177 gun will not fill...

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

New .177 gun will not fill...

Postby 82235962 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:56 am

My dad purchased a Marauder and we have been unable to get it to fill. We read the instructions a number of times. Is there something we're missing? The fill line pressurized when the bottle is opened, and air enters the gun---you can hear a little click inside the gun---but the pressure guage indicates the gun is not filling. There is just silence...any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: New .177 gun will not fill...

Postby joeyt on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:42 am

"The fill line pressurized when the bottle is opened"

what "bottle" are you referring to? any chance you're using a paintball bottle? if so, it has regulated pressure of 800-1000 psi, so it won't fill gun beyond that.
joeyt

Postby DaveShooter on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:16 pm

joeyt wrote:"The fill line pressurized when the bottle is opened"

what "bottle" are you referring to? any chance you're using a paintball bottle? if so, it has regulated pressure of 800-1000 psi, so it won't fill gun beyond that.
You will have to use a bottle or tank that puts out at least 3000 psi like a scuba tank or even better a carbon fiber tank that is say 4500 psi will give more fills say on a new Marauder that has been set up at factory for 2500 psi.
If you do have a tank say such as a scuba or carbon fiber tank than you can try to cock the rifle by the bolt say just as you were by example loading a pellet to free up the valve inside the air tube.What I am trying to say is don't load a pellet in the rifle just cock it and try to see if it will fill up for ya that way. Did your rifle come to you on empty on the rifle air gage? If not get ahold of Crosman Customer Service # should be in your book. Hope this helps..... :D :D
DaveShooter

Postby 82235962 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm

The tank is a Benjamin 3000psi tank. It had 3000psi in it but I'm down to <2000 after a number of attemtps at charging the gun. I tried pulling the bolt back and returning it (w/o pellet) to the firing position, as recommended by "joelt" without any satisfaction. The gun came from the factory with a modest load of air in it, so it dry fires with a little puff. I appreciate any additional input.

Cheers

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 am

Hello, So a couple of questions. Did the gauge indicate cylinder pressure when you received it? (Frankly I think the OEM gauge sucks to begin with, which is why I changed mine, but that's another story). Have you shot it yet? Are you getting pellets down range?

Now about the Benji tank your using, if I'm not mistaken this was originally designed to be used with the Disco which is regulated to 2000 psi (which is not enough to get the full potential from the Mrod, although you can certainly retune it for a 2000 psi and lower fill) output but even at that would be enough to indicate on the gauge.

If your getting air to discharge then you have a bum gauge, call Crosman for a replacement.

If you hear air escaping from the muzzle end during the fill, then the valve assembly is stuck open. Unfortunately you proabably won't have the necessary pressure and volume to close it using the Benji tank.
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby DaveShooter on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 am

Supercharged86 wrote:Hello, So a couple of questions. Did the gauge indicate cylinder pressure when you received it? (Frankly I think the OEM gauge sucks to begin with, which is why I changed mine, but that's another story). Have you shot it yet? Are you getting pellets down range?

Now about the Benji tank your using, if I'm not mistaken this was originally designed to be used with the Disco which is regulated to 2000 psi (which is not enough to get the full potential from the Mrod, although you can certainly retune it for a 2000 psi and lower fill) output but even at that would be enough to indicate on the gauge.

If your getting air to discharge then you have a bum gauge, call Crosman for a replacement.

If you hear air escaping from the muzzle end during the fill, then the valve assembly is stuck open. Unfortunately you proabably won't have the necessary pressure and volume to close it using the Benji tank.
Steve you are right on the money when it comes to that Benji tank only putting out to 2000 Psi. You might be able also to have that tank modified at a paintball shop for 3000 not 2000 psi out put . I think ya have to change out the burst disc in them as well as have them check your regulator on that tank as well. I think paintball tanks only put out in the 800's range........... :D :D Or just jump up to the carbon fiber tank if ya can afford one or get a good used scuba tank or 2 more ways would be to go with a good 3 or 4 stage pump or compressor.
DaveShooter

Postby 82235962 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:40 am

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I loaded the gun and it shoots. I don't know how fast the pellets are coming out, but they are not just falling out the end of the barrell. I don't know if the air came from the factory or if we may have actually got some air in it during our attempts to fill it.

I have a couple questions before I tell my dad he needs to invest in a better tank. (1) How would you know the gun is filling with air if, say, the guage did not function? (2) How long does it typically take to fill the gun with air? I ask because I am wondering if we actually did fill it---at least to some extent---but could not tell because the guage is faulty.

Thanks!

Postby DaveShooter on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 am

82235962 wrote:I appreciate all the input from everyone. I loaded the gun and it shoots. I don't know how fast the pellets are coming out, but they are not just falling out the end of the barrell. I don't know if the air came from the factory or if we may have actually got some air in it during our attempts to fill it.

I have a couple questions before I tell my dad he needs to invest in a better tank. (1) How would you know the gun is filling with air if, say, the guage did not function? (2) How long does it typically take to fill the gun with air? I ask because I am wondering if we actually did fill it---at least to some extent---but could not tell because the guage is faulty.

Thanks!
If the guage isn't showing any reading at all,IMHO like Steve told ya the Guage is not working right. If you have the Beji Tank and your rifle or Marauder, isn't adjusted to 2000 psi such as the Crosman Discovery again I would call Crosman and tell them what or how you are filling your rifle from what tank source and see what they Crosman tell ya. I do know the benji tank only puts out 2000 psi. It Benji tank was kinda like the add on and was to go along or with the Benji Discovery Rifle. This is what Steve was trying to say to ya. You may juat have a bad guage which can be replaced or changed.
Give Crosman a call at 1-800-724-7486 talk to someone in Customer Service just to be safe....... Hope this helps-Dave- :D :D :D
DaveShooter

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Hey 822..., Have you tried shooting some targets down range, say 25 yds? Or do you have a chrony? Since your only using a Benji tank that's limited to 2000 psi you can't get in any trouble in terms of over pressurizing. Open the fill bottle slowly and let the two tanks equalize. This will be your starting fill pressure. Unfortunately, you'll be below the factory setting of 2500 so you'll need to retune the Mrod for a lower fill pressure to get the most velocity. If you tell me your starting fill pressure (based on the ending pressure on the Benji tank), hammer/spring/transfer port settings (which should be about 2.5 in/2.5 in/2.5 out) and your pellet choice, I can give you a rough idea in terms of muzzle velocity. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby 82235962 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:33 pm

I was out of town last week...here are some observations: the air that is in the gun must have came from the factory because in spite of my attempts to fill the gun, the pressure in the gun is fading. The guage has never shown any pressure. When I open the bottle value (slowly), I hear air entering the gun, briefly, and then there is a "click" in the gun and the sound of air entering the gun stops. I am going to call the factory--thanks for the phone number and ideas. Once I reach a resolution, or find myself in a fix, I'll respond.

p.s. Even if the pressure in the supply tank is limited to 2000, shouldn't I be able to fill the gun to that pressure?

Thanks again...the support is appreciated.

Next

Return to .177 Cal Marauders