My new MROD is not so lucky

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: My new MROD is not so lucky

Postby DaveShooter on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm

ssa wrote:Dave,

While I am not sleep, I did adjust the two screw on the barrel band. It can adjust the
barrel band left and right. But it can't solve the problem when it is touching at 6' o'clock.
Also, I did try show without the barrel band, it is not helping. In my case, I believe
the barrel shroud is slightly bending barrel when tighten up to the breach. That is
without the barrel band. Interesting tip about stock screw bending the air tune.

Jim,

Thanks for the cool tips of the re-crown, that is very clever.

Only two more days to receive my replacement MROD, can't wait to try it.
So let me try and understand without looking at your mrod. If you slightly loosened stock screw not sloppy loose but slightly, the shroud still touched at 6:00 position? The only adj on the barrel band are the 2 set screws on the barrel band themselves that only will adj left or right to center shroud in center position of barrel band. I like the new one on my 25 cal Mrod you can see day light 360 degrees all around shroud it has a lot of space inside the barrel band. Their is also a o-ring inside of the barrel band itself next to the shroud.
DaveShooter

Postby ssa on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi Dave,

Just got it for a day. It is the same gun with new barrel replaced. The barrel shroud is
not touching the barrel band at 6 o'clock any more, even though it is still closer to
6 o'clock position than I want. There is a hair of light so it is truly floating now.

I have been shooting it but unfortunately it has been windy out side. It is too early
to make my conclusion yet. Here is the example provide by crosman. It does
not said what distance it was shot at though.

What do you think?

100% crop
ssa

Postby ssa on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:34 pm

DaveShooter wrote:So let me try and understand without looking at your mrod. If you slightly loosened stock screw not sloppy loose but slightly, the shroud still touched at 6:00 position? The only adj on the barrel band are the 2 set screws on the barrel band themselves that only will adj left or right to center shroud in center position of barrel band. I like the new one on my 25 cal Mrod you can see day light 360 degrees all around shroud it has a lot of space inside the barrel band. Their is also a o-ring inside of the barrel band itself next to the shroud.

For the MROD before the repair. Yes. I can only adjust it left and right that is why I can't adjust it not touching the
6 o'clock position. I saw the o ring as well. The odd part is, if I lose the barrel shroud by half turn, then it is not
touching the barrel band. There is light all around. It touches only when I tight the barrel shroud to the breech.
For the record, shooting without the barrel band is not any better. So the new barrel band suppose with more room
will not help me.

After the repair, it is not touching 6 o'clock position any more. But there is still more room
on the top than the bottom. My barrel band is still the old version, the band is really close
to the shroud.
ssa

Postby RayK on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 am

It says "25 foot" on the top of the target. That is only about 8 yards which seems too close to be testing air gun groups.
The closest I've ever tested groups on one of my airguns is 20 yards.

I hope your accuracy problem has been fixed.

Ray
RayK

Postby ssa on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

RayK wrote:It says "25 foot" on the top of the target. That is only about 8 yards which seems too close to be testing air gun groups.
The closest I've ever tested groups on one of my airguns is 20 yards.

I hope your accuracy problem has been fixed.

Yes, I notice the 25 foot. It is too close. So I was hoping they use the target paper and the test is at longer range.
It has been busy so I only have limited time play with it. So far it does feel like that test paper was shot at 25 ft.
I also call the crosman support, the gentleman answering the phone said the distance should be written on the
target. Their range is 10 meter, so most likely the test is 33 ft, there was no indication otherwise.

They do fix the floating barrel problem. Now the barrel is not touch the barrel band. But as for accuracy, it is
slightly worse than it was before. Very frustrating.

OK, the JSB shot much better than before. It is getting very close with CPH on the new barrel. But they both not shoot
as good as the CPH on previous barrel. The new barrel seems has flyer which was not notice in the previous barrel.
I have been trying different scope and different way to shoot it. Now I tend to think it is the gun not me.

[EDIT] I was told the MROD should shoot nickel size group at 20 yards. Some times much better. [/EDIT]

Still trying to decide what to do next. I can try crosman again. To be fair, their customer support is great.
Answering the phone all the time, returning the gun super fast. It just doesn't shoot well.
I also consider Greg Davis, his wife answer the phone. The current waiting list is estimated 4 month.
That is too far away.
ssa

Previous

Return to .177 Cal Marauders