2nd Marauder much better

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

2nd Marauder much better

Postby bob7346 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 am

After trying to get my first .177 to work for about three weeks, I finally gave up and sent it back to Crosman. My main problem was inconsistancy in grouping and the damned thing would develope a problem, then it would just disappear.

I could shoot a 3/4" inch group of 6-10 shots at 25 yards, and then it would shift 1" to the right, 2" high, for two to three shots, and then back to my original group. While shooting in a regional FT event a couple of weeks ago, it was acting like it ran out of air after about 15 shots, the meter still read about 2200. I recharged, and everything was Ok.

Crosman was very gracious (but slow) in replacing it. My first one said 22cal on the breech but was realy a .177 also.

Well the new one is exactly what I expected. Although I have only ran about 150 shots through it, it is 100% consistant.
The new gun is quiter, smoother, and can rival many of the Euro guns at half the price.

Somethings I have learned from my experience. The barrel flexes a lot more than I thought, my new band probably has 3 times the clearance as the old one. You will have to use high rings for clearance with the larger objectives. Removal of the lawyer spring is fantastic. You will have to raise the cheek riser ( I talked to Graco today and they are going to fabricate an adjuster for me, extra high of course, really really nice people). You are going to need an adjustable but pad ( cheap and easy to install). It shoots JSB Exact heavy very well. It is hard to clean the barrel. Crosman definetly has some QC issues, but is working very hard to correct them.

If you are having problems just return the damned thing and save yourself a lot of frustrations.

Bob
bob7346

Re: 2nd Marauder much better

Postby ssa on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:36 am

What is the group size with your replacement MROD?

Mine send to crosman, they return it the next day receiving it. But the replacement has flyer.
Maybe they return too fast? I am still debating return it the second time or not.

SSA
ssa

Postby bob7346 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 pm

SSA:

Since the gun and trigger are new to me and I'm just lossening up the gun, the first one loosened up way to quickly and only took about 25 pellets. At 25 meters I would guess that they are about a nickle size.

It is hard to determine because I am shooting at 3/4" paper dots, stuck onto an aluminum sheet about 1/16" thick. The first pellet goes through the aluminum with ease and the second will make the hole just a little bit bigger, but is guided a bit by the aluminum sheet through the previous hole. Plus once you hit the spot four or five times, they have a tendency to fall off.

Most groups are between a nickle and quarter size. Remember though that I am just trying to get use to the feel of the gun.

Latter this week I'll switch to regular targets. The reason that it looks so promising, there is no flyers.
bob7346

Postby bob7346 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 am

SSA:

Ran another 100 pellets through last night at the same kind of targets as yesterday. When I do everything OK, the gun shoots less than a 1/2" group at 25M now. The worst is probably 1" group when I loose concentration.

I have still not had a flyer in about 300 rounds. My advise as far as your gun, send it back, call Kim at Crosman. Let her know how disappointed you are, and tell her you want it fixed (or replaced) right this time.

Bob
bob7346

Postby ssa on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:42 pm

bob7346 wrote:My advise as far as your gun, send it back, call Kim at Crosman. Let her know how disappointed you are, and tell her you want it fixed (or replaced) right this time.

Thanks, Kim is great. I should have call her earlier. She is more helpful than all other support I have call combined.
She give me a straight answer about accuracy of MROD. Out of factory, it should be shooting at least dime size group
at 20 yard. Some times much better than that.
ssa

Postby bob7346 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:51 am

SSA:

Glad she was able to help you. Frustrating isn't the word for something new that doen't work right. The chances of your new one working as it should are pretty damned good.

I use my Mrod mostly for FT. My first one just didn't perform. The last FT event I shot with it I shot a 19/48. During the event I was so frustrated, I couldn't wait for it to end, and was almost ready to give up on FT. Some of my good friends talked me down, and I decided to give it another try and send my Mrod back to Crosman.

I shoot FT at Yegua Air Rifle Club in Summerville, FT (great place to shoot). The monthly event was scheduled for Sunday, but I didn't my new gun until the Wed. before.

I didn't have time to set up my ranging, due to weather (rain), and ran only a couple of hundred rounds through it @ 25 meters. My marking tape was still blank, but I decided to enter anyways.

How did I do? 30/48 guesssing at the mil dots. The Mrod shot perfect and I was even surprised how well I did.

I now know that the gun can shoot with almost anything out there. And with a few mods, and a lot more practice, I can hang with the big dogs out there.

Bob
bob7346

Return to .177 Cal Marauders