CHPs vs. JSB exact heavies (part2)

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

CHPs vs. JSB exact heavies (part2)

Postby bob7346 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:16 am

(continued from part 1) I ran out of space

I went up to my backstop to see if I could find my two fliers, and found them inside the hole of my first shot.

It took me about 6 shots to re-zero. I then switched to my regular targets. I then shot a .475", .40", .380", .35" and my best was a .33". This is better than I have ever shot before in my life.

The moral of the story, they are ugly, dirty, and have to be cleaned and lubed. But, boy can they shoot.

Bob
bob7346

Re: CHPs vs. JSB exact heavies (part2)

Postby ssa on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Yes, my MROD (currently back to crosman again) likes CHP better than JSB as well.
I suspect the MROD designed to use the CHP. CHP is bigger and harder than JSB.
It penetrate very well.
ssa

Postby ssa on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:52 pm

BTW, 0.33". :o That is definitely a keeper.

I guess I don't have good enough Karma to deserve one.
ssa

Postby lamerabbit on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Bob:

A few of us have been using the old Beeman sizing dies to make the CPH's fit into our barrels. It actually improved accuracy, with these over sized pellets. If someone had told me that I would ever end up sizing pellets for a pre-charged air rifle I would not have believed it. The problem is their head size it just bigger than it should be. A 177 caliber pellet should not be .1900, or even .1880, but this batch was/is. I found that this was causing problems in all my rifles. Accuracy was almost an inch at 50 yards, before I started sizing these pellets. That may sound OK, but I was use to .25 at the same range out of my custom Anchutz barreled Daystate……..
lamerabbit

Postby bob7346 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:16 am

Rabbit:

Before I actually started shooting the CHPs, I washed and lubed them with Napier pellet lube (and of course removed the extra chunks of lead in the batch). With this process only, I have not had a flier yet.

I have since shortened the process to just blowing them off with a compressor and lubing them. I'm sure that sizing will help, but what a pain in the ass.

I may size a batch for anything bigger than a regional FT event or a big money shoot, but normally I'm just going to blow and lube.

They are definitly bigger and almost have to be forced down the breech, with two definite clicks (head entry and skirt entry), but once they are in, they are just fine.

The fact that they are harder is a definite advantage, less distortion, far less culls, and I'm not affraid of damaging them as I handle them.

One advantage that I did not expect, was far better accuracy at 45-55 yard targets with less drop. I guess they actually fly better once they leave the barrel.

Thanks for the tip.
bob7346

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:02 am

Hey Guys, Curious about the Beeman sizing die? Are these still available? thanks. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby bob7346 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm

SC:

I see them for sale on Ebay and on the Yellow forum. Beeman has not sold them for several years.

The thing that concerns me, is when the seller states, barely used, or still in box, how much of a pain in the ass they are. Most sell in the $100 range.

Bob
bob7346

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks Bob, appreciate that. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Return to .177 Cal Marauders