Marauder and FT Competitions

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: Marauder and FT Competitions

Postby bob7346 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:26 am

Dragon 64:

I was thinking the same as you about the Challenger, mostly because I like the stock.

The GOBs are an awsome group, and really have a lot of good shooters. I know that you will enjoy shooting with them. Listen to what they tell you, because they know.

A word of advise to a new FT shooter, don't be intimidated, and you will not do as good as you know you can the first few times. But you will get better every time you go. I almost gave up on it the third time I shot, I was so frustrated. It seemed I did every rookie mistake that you could do. Everything from dropping my gun to forgetting to lock down my scope adjustments. Last month I forgot my pellets and magazines, I had to readjust my scope with a different kind of pellets, 20 minutes before the match started. My scores starting from the first time I went = 14, 19, 16, 30, 36 last month, Dec. I'm shooting for 42-48 which will put me in mid pack.

If you hang in there, you will really enjoy it and become addicted to it as I have.

The Mrod is an excellent gun for FT. It just needs to be tweaked.
bob7346

Postby spysir on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:34 am

DRAGON64 wrote:I started a thread on the Field Target forum, actually inquiring about the Crosman Challenger 2009, and received excellent info and kudos for my Marauder, which I want to use in field target shooting (Hunter Class). A good read, check it out here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... 9+Thoughts

Due to the thread, I will be shooting my first field target match tomorrow in Tennessee with the Good Ol Boys club.

You will have a GREAT time. Our car is in the shop as of yesterday and if it is fixed today Tammy and I hope to be at Roz's in Pulaski to shoot with you. You will learn more abouit airguns in a single shoot than reading forums for years! Hopefully Jeff A. will be there using his Marauder, Harold owns one he intends to use at some point ( as soon as he makes his own stock). I tend to run whatever I have-QB, RWS48,Bam- the GOB is the nicest bunch of shooters around. We have been know to drive 110 miles one way even on days I was not able to shoot and considered it a darn good time indeed.
Try a photobucket search for the user name "ftnationals" if you want to see more pictures of where we shoot.
and feel free to email if I can ever help: [email protected]

John
spysir

Postby avv604 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:57 pm

bob7346 wrote:Just read the results on the Nationals and was very surprised to see very few Marauders listed. Other than the A team, there was only two entrants in the Hunter class. With the groupings I see pictures of, and reports of on this forum, I would have thought that there would have been many more Marauder shooters listed.

I'm new to this airgun thing, and with continual practice am getting better each day. I compete in all the regional events, but so far have been basically at the bottom of the group in the Hunter class. Last month was due to two rookie mistakes on my part of course.

Has anyone else been competing in Regional or local orginized events? How have you been doing? What kind of scores have you posted? Any tips or secrets that I might have missed or can use in the Hunter class?

If you live in Texas, you should attend a shoot or two at the Yega site in Summerville. It is a gorgeous place, that is ran well, and has very friendly people that has been doing this for years, and really helpful.

I plan on entering the Republic of Texas Championship come spring time which will be my first big event (State Championship). I know I have a long way to go to be compediative, but I've got 5 more months to practice.

Bob

Greetings Bob,

John already mentioned that I shoot in the GOB hunter class with my M-rod. The last match I actually was shooting decent in I scored a 42. I guess that is not bad. There are some items I do not like on the Marauder. The major item is the cheezy stock. Most everything else is good for me. I recently purchased a used Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56 for next year's FT comp. at the GOB.

The Marauder is an up and coming rifle. Accurate, quite, and in a price range that many can hit. I believe if Crosman would offer a "premium" stock option - it would be an instant hit. For now I am waiting until I can have one made. :)
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

Postby bob7346 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 am

John:

I was wondering how you did on your first event and what you thought in general. Please post them up, you could not have done worse than I did my first few times.

Jeff:

42 is a very respectful score for Hunter, I hope to be there by the Decembers event. The one thing that I realy enjoy is when the guys I shoot with finally realize that I am a rookie competing with them with a $400 gun.

I've given up on trying to find a new stock for now, some one will eventually come up with one I hope.

Bob
bob7346

Postby avv604 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 am

bob7346 wrote:John:

I was wondering how you did on your first event and what you thought in general. Please post them up, you could not have done worse than I did my first few times.

Jeff:

42 is a very respectful score for Hunter, I hope to be there by the Decembers event. The one thing that I realy enjoy is when the guys I shoot with finally realize that I am a rookie competing with them with a $400 gun.

I've given up on trying to find a new stock for now, some one will eventually come up with one I hope.

Bob

Bob,

There are a few individuals who make custom stocks for the Marauder. Paul Bishop is the first the comes to mind. I cannot afford it right now, so I am living with the stock. :)
Hope to meet you at the GOB sometime. Have a blessed week!
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

Postby spysir on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Dear Dragon 64 ,

Did you make it to the match? Post man post!

Bob,
I started FT in 2007 at the TVA (Brad Troyers excelent venue) :
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x258 ... ?start=all
Then started shooting at the Good Ole Boys club in Pulaski TN. I went with my lowest power rig a Bam50 tuned down to 730fps w/16g .22. I remember thinking right away I need a "tiny bore" (having started moderen airguns with a 9mm). Brad, Roz Sumpter, Harold Rushton, everyone there was just so friendly and helpful shooting FT every other weekend just wasnt enough! I thought it would just be about shooting airguns but everyone is now a friend, some from TX, some CA, some elsewhere and the folks at the GOB are pretty well family now.
Shooting the 2007 Nationals (and just getting into FT) was just something cheerful to do while I delt with Cancer and now I cant quit, that say's a lot about the joy's Field Target and getting to know the people who enjoy it. A good lot they all are without exception. I also was clearly informed by Roz (a National champion FT shooter) that my $300.00 rifle was just fine as he took the time to fire off a great group with it and inform me the trigger was set about one ounce too light for that model.
And the Troyer scale for those who havent seen it:

John
Last edited by spysir on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
spysir

Postby bob7346 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm

John:

Ready or not I'll (and my Marauder) be there for Nationals next year. I'm looking forward to meeting all you guys.

As far as a stock, I would feel foolish spending more on my stock than my gun.

Bob
bob7346

Postby DRAGON64 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 am

spysir wrote:Dear Dragon 64 ,

Did you make it to the match? Post man post!

Bob,
I started FT in 2007 at the TVA (Brad Troyers excelent venue) :
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x258 ... ?start=all
Then started shooting at the Good Ole Boys club in Pulaski TN. I went with my lowest power rig a Bam50 tuned down to 730fps w/16g .22. I remember thinking right away I need a "tiny bore" (having started moderen airguns with a 9mm). Brad, Roz Sumpter, Harold Rushton, everyone there was just so friendly and helpful shooting FT every other weekend just wasnt enough! I thought it would just be about shooting airguns but everyone is now a friend, some from TX, some CA, some elsewhere and the folks at the GOB are pretty well family now.
Shooting the 2007 Nationals (and just getting into FT) was just something cheerful to do while I delt with Cancer and now I cant quit, that say's a lot about the joy's Field Target and getting to know the people who enjoy it. A good lot they all are without exception. I also was clearly informed by Roz (a National champion FT shooter) that my $300.00 rifle was just fine as he took the time to fire off a great group with it and inform me the trigger was set about one ounce too light for that model.
John

Alas, I missed this match as our family dog came down deathly ill with tumors, and we had to have him put to sleep at 8:30 that morning. The loss was to grave for the entire family, that we did not do much that day at all...

On the lighter side, in working with many of the knowledeable people within GOB, I have ordered a Bushnell 8-32X40 at their suggection, and will hope to shoot with them at an improptu meet some time this month. Also, I worked with Mr Troyer who tuned the power on my .22 down to 785 fps, and the rifle is now hitting just under the 20 lb limit for field target.

To keep within the forum topic, I am looking into getting a .177 barrel and bolt for my .22 Marauder for a conversion. I would like to see first, how well the .22 works on the course first.

Johnnie
DRAGON64

Postby MartyinMich on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:16 pm

bob7346 wrote:Just read the results on the Nationals and was very surprised to see very few Marauders listed. Other than the A team, there was only two entrants in the Hunter class. With the groupings I see pictures of, and reports of on this forum, I would have thought that there would have been many more Marauder shooters listed.

I'm new to this airgun thing, and with continual practice am getting better each day. I compete in all the regional events, but so far have been basically at the bottom of the group in the Hunter class. Last month was due to two rookie mistakes on my part of course.

Has anyone else been competing in Regional or local orginized events? How have you been doing? What kind of scores have you posted? Any tips or secrets that I might have missed or can use in the Hunter class?

If you live in Texas, you should attend a shoot or two at the Yega site in Summerville. It is a gorgeous place, that is ran well, and has very friendly people that has been doing this for years, and really helpful.

I plan on entering the Republic of Texas Championship come spring time which will be my first big event (State Championship). I know I have a long way to go to be compediative, but I've got 5 more months to practice.

Bob

I have been shooting My .177 Cal. Mrod in Hunter Field Target for 2 years, up here in Michigan. I shoot at a club in Plymouth, Michigan. The club is WWCCA and the folks there are Great! I don't remember any other Mrod's, but I have seen
a Discovery and a Katana there. Here is a picture of Me and my Mrod.[imghttp://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/Marty_Carie/Marty%202011%20%20Photo/][/img]
Last edited by MartyinMich on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartyinMich

Postby avv604 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm

MartyinMich wrote:I have been shooting My .177 Cal. Mrod in Hunter Field Target for 2 years, up here in Michigan. I shoot at a club in Plymouth, Michigan. The club is WWCCA and the folks there are Great! I don't remember any other Mrod's, but I have seen
a Discovery and a Katana there. Here is a picture of Me and my Mrod.[imghttp://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/Marty_Carie/Marty%202011%20%20Photo/][/img]

Here are pictures of my MRod refinished. :)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1124
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

PreviousNext

Return to .177 Cal Marauders