P Rod problem

All stuff related to the .22 Benjamin Marauder Pistol by Crosman

Re: P Rod problem

Postby FuzzyGrub » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:09 am

22synrodn wrote:
msurf wrote:Thanks again guys...Think I found the problem....upon closer inspection, the small acetal pin on top of the hammer is missing, I probably overlooked it when assembling the gun. is there anything I can use rather than ordering a new piece from crosman?

Vibra-Tite VC3 on the hammer bolt threads would be a better choice than the pin.

My experience with VC3 is it is good for holding parts you do not plan to adjust. When I tried it on a hammer and striker external to gun, when I exercised the adjustment the VC3 peeled off the threads. I'd be concerned that the pieces of VC3 would now be laying inside the tube where the hammer slides. If you don't use the adjustment, probably fine.
John

Prods: 2201P .22 Pistol, 1720T Camp Carbine, M4 .177/.22 Carbine, PMrod .177/.22 Rifle, MProd .22
Mrods: .25 MDRL Bullpup, Srod .25 Syn Stock, Gen II Woody Reg'ed 177
FuzzyGrub

Postby 22synrodn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:31 am

It doesn't take very much. If you over do it, I could see that happening. Put a small amount on the bolt then let it dry 30 minutes, then install back into the hammer. VC3 allows you to adjust multiple times and still holds the tune in place very nicely. Works great for me.
22synrodn

Postby FuzzyGrub » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:43 pm

22synrodn wrote:It doesn't take very much. If you over do it, I could see that happening. Put a small amount on the bolt then let it dry 30 minutes, then install back into the hammer. VC3 allows you to adjust multiple times and still holds the tune in place very nicely. Works great for me.

I didn't use too much and waited the allotted time it said on the packaging. I prefer the set screw method for the throw adjustment. VC3 is probably ok on preload, where it will not be in the direct area of the hammer sliding. JMHO
John

Prods: 2201P .22 Pistol, 1720T Camp Carbine, M4 .177/.22 Carbine, PMrod .177/.22 Rifle, MProd .22
FuzzyGrub

Postby 22synrodn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Set screws work too for using only one tune, but for those like myself with only one PCP who maintain multiple tunes with multiple pellet weights it's not feasible. I have at least four tunes with less than 2% ES and have not seen the issue you described using VC3. It's also good practice to clean the hammer area every once in a while due to dirty air/dust getting sucked into the hammer area through the adjustment hole.
22synrodn

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:11 pm

FuzzyGrub wrote:
22synrodn wrote:It doesn't take very much. If you over do it, I could see that happening. Put a small amount on the bolt then let it dry 30 minutes, then install back into the hammer. VC3 allows you to adjust multiple times and still holds the tune in place very nicely. Works great for me.

I didn't use too much and waited the allotted time it said on the packaging. I prefer the set screw method for the throw adjustment. VC3 is probably ok on preload, where it will not be in the direct area of the hammer sliding. JMHO

Maybe a dumb question to ask, but I'll ask anyway. Did you clean both surfaces before applying the VC3? I prep with brake cleaner.
The VC3 works well for me. And if the temp is warm enough I don't even wait the 30 minutes.
BAM 50 .17
FDPCP .22
Both very accurate, both for sale.
Where is my Flex? Proudly displayed in my front room.
caniborrowsomeammo

Postby FuzzyGrub » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Four tunes? That's an excuse to get three more guns! :lol:

The original Mrod design included a set-screw and "fishing line" (acetel) plug. You can adjust the tension to what you want and still be able to adjust the throw. I only do it to my Prods that have BSB.

What? It wouldn't adhere well to oil or dirt? ;)... Yes, it was cleaned and left to dry before applying the VC3. Used the spray brake cleaner.

So, you both applied VC3 to striker threads, let it cure, than ran it into the hammer, and NONE of the VC3 peeled off? I'm sure most of any access comes off the first threading. Unless you removed the acetel pin from the blind hole, it is a tight fit and not much of any gap to leave VC3. Once you ran it all the way in, did you take it back out to see how much VC3 was left on the threads? On loose gapped threads seems to work.
John

FuzzyGrub

Postby 22synrodn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Yes the pin has been removed many moons ago. I don't put the VC3 on the entire bolt. I only put it in the area of the bolt that will be in contact with the hammer. I already know how many turns in the striker will be from tuning so that's the only area that will get the VC3.
22synrodn

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:22 pm

When it comes to threads I coat male and put a drop or two on female. Yes there is extra that doesn't stay on the thread.
BAM 50 .17
FDPCP .22
Both very accurate, both for sale.
Where is my Flex? Proudly displayed in my front room.
caniborrowsomeammo

Postby FuzzyGrub » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:55 pm

22synrodn wrote:Yes the pin has been removed many moons ago.

That is why in your case, it is not stripping the VC3 off.

IMHO, if you are adjusting it always for numerous tunes, the set-screw "fishing line" plug might be worth your time. You do have to be careful you don't snap the tap off.

Anyway, back to the OP's issue. You can't see the acetal pin from the top of the hammer with the striker in place. Even when you remove the striker, the pin has conformed to the threads, and is hard to see. If you see the blind hole, the pin is missing. If yours was missing, it is conceivable the throw migrated out along with the very heavy hammer spring might has caused your problem.
John

FuzzyGrub

Postby msurf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks for all the responses/discussion. Will keep the tips in mind during reassembly.
I have the gun completely stripped down now and will make some modifications while waiting on parts. The acetal pin is definitely MIA, and it looks like there is a possibility of some small metal shavings inside the valve. Attached is an image of the valve internals with suspected metal.
So the jury is out, could have been debris in valve, the pin, or perhaps the orings for the Bstaley.
We shall see!
Thanks again.
msurf

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Pistol