sticky for screws to check?

Questions and tips for cleaning and maintaining your Marauder.

sticky for screws to check?

Postby jp_over » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Friends,

I'm new to the forum and the Marauder but not new to airgunning. I did a couple of searches for my issue but didn't see much. Is there a sticky or recommended post for screws to check as part of routine maintenance.

In example, I have a lightly used .177 gen 2 Marauder that throws a flyer (perhaps .5" - 1" at 20 yards) every 10th shot or so. The chronograph does not indicate significant variance on the flyers. Previous owner said it shot good with the pellets I'm using (JSB Exact 10.3). I've noticed the flyers over shooting about 100 rounds or so.

Thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Of note, I do have some Vibra-tite VC-3 on order so that I can make sure any adjustments (or loose screws/bolts) that I find stay put!

Joe

jp_over

Re: sticky for screws to check?

Postby AlanMcD » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 am

Joe,

Sounds look you are coming to this from spingers ;) They are always shaking screws loose . . . .

The only "screws" that can mover over time and affect accuracy are the striker in the hammer and the spring pre-load setting. A little VC-3 in them is a good idea next time you have the gun apart. Other than those two, not much will move as you use the gun.

The one other related thing would be the shroud tightness - many of us have found that the POI (as well as repeatability) is very sensitive to the tightness of the shroud. I actually put a small silver dot on the rear of mine so that I can keep track of it, since it is easy to move as you handle the gun.

As for those flyers, if you can figure that out we will all be the better for it! That is what has been driving us nuts for years, although the problem tends to be the worst on the .22 caliber model. My personal view is that once you have ruled out the obvious factors (consistent speed, shroud tightness, pellet not clipping the baffles etc.) then the most likely answer is one of sensitivity of barrel harmonics to the pellet. It could be that weight variation is getting you as different weight pellets are in the barrel for different time periods - and if the barrel is moving, the POI will change depending on where the barrel is in its oscillation as the pellet exits. Some have had luck with simply tuning to a different speed, achieving better accuracy at a particular setting. Others have found good results from weight sorting pellets.

Good luck with it!
AlanMcD

Postby jp_over » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Alan,

Thanks for the good advice; indeed, I'm pretty new to the PCP world compared to my time with springers.

I originally purchased this as a project gun with a long term plan of having Mike @ Citrusairguns turn it into an ultra light .25. However, it's been really fun to shoot in the mean time and is plenty accurate for taking squirrels and pest bird at 20 yards or so.

I had hoped for pellet on pellet accuracy (up to 20 yards) in .177 but it sounds like I need to lower my expectations a bit on the flyers. I verified the shroud tightness but likely need to spend some more time on the chronograph (if we could just get some clouds!).

Thanks again!

jp_over

Postby SHOOTINIT » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 pm

ALL OF THEM
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Return to Marauder Cleaning Care and Maintenance