Page 1 of 1

Is this dialectric grease a good silicone lube for o-ring?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:52 pm
by wahoowad
I am under the impression this dielectric grease is simply a silicone grease, but it doesn't say so on the package. Anybody know if it is suitable to lube the o-ring in my 25 Marauder?

And, bonus question....if I get some of that automotive moly grease for the bolt, where on the bolt do you apply it?

Thanks!

Re: Is this dialectric grease a good silicone lube for o-ring?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:54 pm
by Supercharged86
Dielectric grease is a silicone lubricant, however it can degrade certain types of rubber, ie. o-rings, so caution must be used ? I would use the silicone lubricant from Crosman just to be safe. For the Moly lube, pull back on the bolt, apply the lube, close the bolt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 pm
by wahoowad
Is Beeman Chamber Oil suitable for the o-ring? I don't know what it is made of.

You mean apply the moly to the bolt shaft that comes out the rear, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:05 pm
by Supercharged86
wahoowad wrote:Is Beeman Chamber Oil suitable for the o-ring? I don't know what it is made of.

You mean apply the moly to the bolt shaft that comes out the rear, right?

Yes, chamber oil is usually a silicone based oil (as opposed to petroleum based which can ignite under pressure), should be fine. Yes, the moly lube goes on the bolt shaft. Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:42 am
by wahoowad
I didn't have any moly lube so used some of this stuff that I did have around. Any reason to use a very specific lube on the bolt? It just needs a decent grease to help the bolt slide, correct?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 am
by aack73
another suggestion is radio control car shock oil. they are sealed with orings. personally i have used "team associated" silicone shock oil in rc cars and paintball guns. it comes in different weights and is high quality stuff. not very cheap. i don't have my mrod yet but unless i get some conclusive evidence that it will be bad for my mrod that is what i will be using. never had oring problems with paintball guns or rc car shocks. its readily available at your local hobby shop or online. anyone else have opinion on this?