BARREL CLEANING

Questions and tips for cleaning and maintaining your Marauder.

BARREL CLEANING

Postby SHANEDOG on Wed May 12, 2010 7:38 am

Hi All
I am new on this forum,and new to the airgun community.I have Marauder .22,what is the correct way to clean the barrel?
It may sound stupid,but I do not want to do something that could injure my rifle,the manual has nothing regarding this issue. :)
SHANEDOG

Re: BARREL CLEANING

Postby Supercharged86 on Wed May 12, 2010 8:35 am

Hi ShaneDog, Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. I think the general concensus is to avoid the stiff bristle brushes that you would normally use on a traditional powder burner. Just using cleaning patches should surfice. I myself use a Hoppes .177 Boresnake which is brushless. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby hawkeye on Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Supercharged86 wrote:Hi ShaneDog, Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. I think the general concensus to to avoid the stiff bristle brushes that you would normally use on a traditional powder burner. Just using cleaning patches should surfice. I myself use a Hoppes .177 Boresnake which is brushless. Cheers. Steve

Hey Steve,

How do you feed the bore snake in your barrel? I'm assuming that you remove the bolt, the barrel shroud, and then feed the bore snake from the breach end of the barrel.

Tom
hawkeye

Postby Supercharged86 on Wed May 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Tom, I actually don't remove the bolt or shroud but do remove the baffles. Most of the brass weight had to be removed from the feed end so that it will fit into the magazine slot, then yes, It gets pulled from the breech end. I pull it very slowly while feeding the other end being careful not to disturb the breech o-ring. So far so good. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby ssscottg on Sun May 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Shane,

There a many ways to skin this cat, and Super's method is good. The goal is to clean it up with zero damage to the lands and grooves, the breech or especially the crown.

I use a crownsaver, which is a soft semi ridgid rope with a loop in the end. Put a plastic drinking straw down the muzzle to get past the baffles. Feed the crownsaver down the muzzle (through the straw). Put a patch in the loop at the breech end. Soak it in your favorite cleaner like Hoppes or a light solvent like pure silicon lube or brake cleaner. And pull the patch thru from breech to muzzle. Repeat till clean. Then run a couple of patches to soak up any left-over cleaner.

You can buy everthing you need from Tim M. of Mac1.

http://www.mac1airgun.com/maintenance.html

For pics.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Crown%20Saver.html

Regards,
Scott
ssscottg

Postby icebug on Wed May 26, 2010 11:05 am

Supercharged86 wrote:Hi ShaneDog, Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. I think the general concensus to to avoid the stiff bristle brushes that you would normally use on a traditional powder burner. Just using cleaning patches should surfice. I myself use a Hoppes .177 Boresnake which is brushless. Cheers. Steve

Steve,
Did you get that Boresnake brushless or you removed the brass brush by yourself?
I have one for .22 and I still didn't try it. Do you think that the brush could do some damage to the O-ring or to the barrel? :roll:

Cheers,
d.
Click here to make a clicking sound.
icebug

Postby Suburban on Wed May 26, 2010 10:54 pm

Note that there are o-rings that you need to be careful of. Hoppe's is probably a bad idea. Brake cleaner and Gun Scrubber (pretty much the same thing) are likely very very bad ideas.

Silicone is probably fine, although I wouldn't use it as a solvent. Silicon (no "e") is like sand, don't use that. :D

ssscottg wrote:Hi Shane,

There a many ways to skin this cat, and Super's method is good. The goal is to clean it up with zero damage to the lands and grooves, the breech or especially the crown.

I use a crownsaver, which is a soft semi ridgid rope with a loop in the end. Put a plastic drinking straw down the muzzle to get past the baffles. Feed the crownsaver down the muzzle (through the straw). Put a patch in the loop at the breech end. Soak it in your favorite cleaner like Hoppes or a light solvent like pure silicon lube or brake cleaner. And pull the patch thru from breech to muzzle. Repeat till clean. Then run a couple of patches to soak up any left-over cleaner.

You can buy everthing you need from Tim M. of Mac1.

http://www.mac1airgun.com/maintenance.html

For pics.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Crown%20Saver.html

Regards,
Scott
Suburban's Domain - My website. Firearm information, product reviews, optics, 2nd Amendment rights articles. Marauder (.177cal) Review Posted. Review Part 2 posted.
Suburban

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu May 27, 2010 4:08 am

icebug wrote:

Steve,
Did you get that Boresnake brushless or you removed the brass brush by yourself?
I have one for .22 and I still didn't try it. Do you think that the brush could do some damage to the O-ring or to the barrel? :roll:

Cheers,
d.

Hi D., The Hoppes .177 Boresnake is "Brushless" but I don't think that's the case on their .22 version. In which case you wouldn't want to use it, like Suburban said, the brass brush would damage the breech o-ring. Good luck, Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby icebug on Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 am

Supercharged86 wrote:
icebug wrote:Steve,

Cheers,
d.

Hi D., The Hoppes .177 Boresnake is "Brushless" but I don't think that's the case on their .22 version. In which case you wouldn't want to use it, like Suburban said, the brass brush would damage the breech o-ring. Good luck, Steve

Thanks Steve!
I managed to remove both brushes from my Hoppes without damaging the knitting and now I just need to cut off a piece of brass weight from the feed end, so it can fit into magazine slot.
How much (length?) of the brass weight did you leave on the your Hoppes?

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
d.
Click here to make a clicking sound.
icebug

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu May 27, 2010 4:16 pm

D, There's just under a half inch left and If you remove the baffles it feeds easier out the muzzle. Likewise, I use my thumb and index finger to keep it centered (in the magazine slot) as I pull it through. This way it's not being pulled unevenly through the o-ring. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Next

Return to Marauder Cleaning Care and Maintenance