I'm about to write bore cleaning blasphemy...

Questions and tips for cleaning and maintaining your Marauder.

Re: I'm about to write bore cleaning blasphemy...

Postby jimmyk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 am

Motorhead wrote:Just GOOGLE search .... cleaning air rifle barrel with JB bore paste

Scott,
I think there are a lot of us reading this thread that are curious as to what "your" procedure is when cleaning your barrels with JB bore paste and the other ingrediants. It sounds like Bullfrog got it done but he used a lot of different cleaning agents in the process. Bullfrogs barrel condition sounded maybe out of the ordinary and I'm just looking for the normal routine cleaning procedure using JB's. I just got a can of JB's and would like to try it. If your get time would mind doing a short write up on your procedure? I would appreaciate it. Alan if your reading along I think you've used JB's. Your thoughts would be appreciated also.
Jimmy
jimmyk

Postby FuzzyGrub » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:18 am

Glad to see you got it back shooting well.

Given your high velocities, you might want to try lubing pellets such that it reduces lead build up, and extend time between cleaning cycles.
John

Prods: 2201P .22 Pistol, 1720T Camp Carbine, M4 .177/.22 Carbine, PMrod .177/.22 Rifle, MProd .22
Mrods: .25 MDRL Bullpup, Srod .25 Syn Stock, Gen II Woody Reg'ed 177
FuzzyGrub

Postby Bullfrog » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:02 am

What would be a good lube? I have CLP, RemOil, Gamo oil on hand. Would any of those work?
Bullfrog

Postby RayK » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 am

This stuff (Krytech Finish Line bike chain lube) is popular for lubing pellets
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ ... 7AodLUsAmA

I tried it, but didn't find any real advantage so I quit doing it. I think your high velocity shooting is what leaded up your barrel. Certain brands of pellets, e.g., Crosman, are very dirty so washing will remove lots of tiny lead flakes. JSB pellets tend to be very clean right out of the tin.

If you were shooting competition and wanted every advantage, I'm sure washing, lubing, roll sorting would all be worth doing.

But we just want to kill squirrels ;) Yes, we want to be able to put a pellet in their tiny brain at 30 to 100 yards, but none the less...just killing squirrels.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby Bullfrog » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Here's a short scope cam video of me shooting groups today. I'm using Kings at 30 yards.

7 of the 8 shots group 1 hole (a ragged 1 hole). The last shot goes a hair high and to the left from the other 7 shots. I'm not sure if it was me or the gun. That last shot didn't feel "right" when I shot it as if I had snatched it, even though the video shows the crosshairs pretty steady during the shot. I'm becoming a bit of a snob on accuracy. I expect 1 hole or cloverleaf groups out to 40 yards or else the group is not acceptable.

My next step is to put my gun back on its bullpup configuration. When all of this started I initially blamed my bullpup. When I switched back to the regular stock my groups tightened up again but I think it was coincidence. One thing I now observe about my accuracy problem is that it didn't just start spraying pellets in every group overnight. It would spray some pellets in some groups, tighten up for a while after making a change in pellets, and then open up again and worse than before. I wonder if a slowly clogging barrel is the cause of well-seasoned guns suddenly hating pellets it previously liked. Many of us have noticed shifting preferences in pellets in our Mrods. I'm sure sometimes its changes with the manufacturer but in my case I think it was my barrel slowly getting too fouled.
Bullfrog

Postby bubba g » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm doing this with the barrel I was having trouble with. I'm experiencing the same thing. I thoroughly cleaned the barrel several times, and thought it was as clean as it could be. double dry patches would come out spotless and dry.

I ran a copper brush through the barrel, and I was shocked at how much crud came out of the barrel. thinking that the crud might have been on the brush so I washed out solvent, then got soapy water. I ran the brush through a bunch more times then ran some patches soaked in ultra bore, then dry patches until they came out clean. again tons of crud.

I was confident that the barrel was completely clean but to be sure I figured I'd run the copper brush through some more. again the patches came out filthy . so I kept repeating the process until there was very little on the patches.

next I covered a bore mop with JB and ran that through for about ten passes. I then ran a double patch through. it came out very dirty. I repeated that process several times then had to leave for work but it was still knocking loose crud when I left.

I'll continue this until it's completely clean, and see how it works out. the barrel was so bad I have nothing to lose.

I'll be sure to post my results.
bubba g

Postby Motorhead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Keep in mind that a BRASS brush as it wears sluffs off brass that will show up as near black on a patch.
These later dirty patches, view under a strong light and see if your getting a trace brass color ? ... could be at this point whats happening ?

In the end tho ... accuracy testing will tell the tail :o
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
2) M-rods - Pup .22 & HFT .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby bubba g » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Motorhead wrote:Keep in mind that a BRASS brush as it wears sluffs off brass that will show up as near black on a patch.
These later dirty patches, view under a strong light and see if your getting a trace brass color ? ... could be at this point whats happening ?

I'm using a copper brush so it's not the case on mine.
bubba g

Postby Motorhead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:25 pm

bubba g wrote:
Motorhead wrote:Keep in mind that a BRASS brush as it wears sluffs off brass that will show up as near black on a patch.

I'm using a copper brush so it's not the case on mine.

Copper brush ? .... thats a new one :?
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
2) M-rods - Pup .22 & HFT .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby bubba g » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:46 am

sorry. it's phospher bronze..lol

I always thought the brush was copper....
bubba g

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Cleaning Care and Maintenance