Page 1 of 1

New marauder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:13 pm
by Walx
I have just ordered a .22 cal and was wondering what I need to do as far as maintaince and cleaning (product names ) This will be my first PCP. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I will be using it to hunt squirrels and rabbits.

Re: New marauder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:26 am
by Andrew
Welcome Walx!
I have a 22. marauder as well. As far as cleaning goes I use a Crownsaver that I bought from Mac 1 airguns, It is designed not to harm the barrel while you pull your cleaning patches through. How do you plan on charging it up? I use a SCUBA tank and it has worked out great. If you shoot often I would recommend one. Also one more thing, you need to put a drinking straw in the baffels or you cannot get the Crownsaver down the barrel. Hope this helps.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:05 am
by ssscottg
Walt,

Welcome!

I use the Crownsaver too and highly recommend it. I am actually using it on all of my 22 firearms now as well as all of my air guns. Call Tim at Mac1 and he will set you up with patches and a Crownsaver. I use brake cleaner to clean my barrel, but many people use Goo-gone citrus cleaner. I then lube with Krytech Finish Line chain wax, the chain wax by it self makes a fine cleaner too. Tim carries the chain wax too. It makes a great pellet lube and drys to light waxy coating.

My favorite pellets are JSB jumbo exact 18.1 and H&N Barracudas.

Regards,
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:06 am
by Walx
Thanks for the replies. Right now I will be using the hand pump. I am trying to get a tank but I'm having trouble finding a place that will sell me a tank and fill it without me being a diver. I'm still calling around. I do shoot alot and need a tank but even if I get one the nearest dive shop is 110 miles away

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 am
by Walx
Finally found a shop that would work with me on the tanks. Can anyone tell me how many charges I can look for from a 80 cu foot tank filled to 3000 psi if I fill the gun to 2500 psi? It looks like it's going to cost around 300 to get setup for charging with scuba tank. Does that sound about right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm
by Andrew
I got my 80 cubic foot 3000psi SCUBA tank from Sport Chalet for about $149, I got the quick disconnect foster fitting adaptor from Mac 1 for about $75. I go to the local Sport Chalet to fill the tank when the pressure becomes two low. This setup has worked great. If you live near a Sport Chalet you may want to look into their SCUBA tanks. I have not yet counted the amount of fills I get from my tank, but I will check.

Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:55 pm
by ssscottg
Hi Walt,

Try a search on this site. I think I saw a summary of number of fills for each size tank. I think that my 80 cube-foot tank will give about 50 fills. I called around to dive shops looking for a used unit and got mine (12 years old) for $70 including the hydro inspection and the visual. At that price you could buy 2 for the price of 1 new one, for 2x the fills per trip to town. Another thing that I do to conserve air, when I target shoot from my bench at my home, I just leave the tank connected to the gun, doing so prevents air waste pressurizing / depressurizing the hose. So I can shoot 300 - 500 shots directly from my tank and use very little air (like only 100-200 psi). Another Idea is to buy a 4500 PSI tank. It will give you more that twice the number of fills, but they are real expensive compared to SCUBA.

Regards,
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 am
by DRAGON64
My .22 is out for delivery per the FedEx website...Yeah!

So after I pull this rifle from the box, what is my next step? I have read somewhere that I need to completely disassemble the rifle and put it back together making sure all of the screws get tightened...and while I have it apart, give the barrel a good cleaning.

I do not remember where I read that from from, but the poster claimed that new rifles will be shipped with loose screws from time to time.(?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:12 am
by Walx
DRAGON64
All I did was pull it out of the box installed the scope, charged it up and started shooting. I will be be placing an order this week to get the crown saver and some other things for it so when they come in I will see about cleaning the barrel.