First Cleaning

Questions and tips for cleaning and maintaining your Marauder.

First Cleaning

Postby gremcat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Sorry I know this is a repeat thread but I have read so many different ways to clean a PCP rifle my head is spinning. I was told when I had a QB to use goo gone and a weed eater line. I have a copper bore guide for muzzle end cleaning and carbon fiber/nylon brush. I also bough Ballistol for lubing pellets but maybe it works for cleaning as well. I lastly bought Pellgun oil but I used to put that on the tip of the C02 cartridge and not sure with the Marauder. Will I be good to run some Ballistol through with my nylon brush and then dry patch it or do you guys recommend something else? It is a .22 Synrod.
Thanks,
Jeremia
gremcat

Re: First Cleaning

Postby gremcat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm

I can also say that about ten years ago I worked at Crosman on the assembly line and if you think barrels orings etc. are well cared for hah. The Water Spider ( material Handler to those not in Operations ) brought out a bin full of barrels and orings etc. floating in oil and those jokers are slapped together on semi automated tools. I do know that when I was there paintball rifles where built at a rate of 50 a day as well as the Benjamin rifles 392 or whatever and the crosman rifles where slapped together as fast as possible . About 75 percent of the workers on the floor where Kelly services temps. I had no clue what the heck I was doing to be honest. I am sure things have changed there and the more experienced people worked in warranty. I don't think it is cosmoline they are using because it isn't packed in grease but more swimming in light oil. I do know that they occasionally pulled guns to chrono and test but I didn't work in quality and it was a first job after high school kind of thing. I imagine with the higher prices quality has changed. I do know that the people really cared about numbers and quality though. Surprisingly because there wasn't much enforcement or management presence. They really did care what the put out. Right down to how the packaged those cheap little pump guns. Anyway I keep hearing about cosmoline being used but I think it is mostly guys used to mil surplus stuff where it might live in storage for years. I will also say the finish I could feel through the oil on the barrels was gritty and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the accuracy issues weren't due to dinged crowns etc. Maybe that is why the Green Mountain barrels where better?
gremcat

Postby Sandspike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:56 am

There is more than one way to skin a cat. And more than one way to clean a barrel. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you dont use a metal rod or a brush with the oring still in the barrel or so long as you don't leave any petroleum product in the gun where high pressure air is contained or inside the barrel. And always end with a dry clean patch.
Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22 cal.
Mrod Gen1 .22 cal. w/MDRL Bullpup
Mrod Gen1 .25 cal. w/MDRL Bullpup
Crosman Titan .22 cal.
Crosman 2240 .22 pistol
Crosman 1377 .177 pistol (30 yrs old)
2 Gamo .177 ?
2 Bug-A-Salts (Got Flys? Shoot um!)
Sandspike

Postby gremcat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 am

Not sure if Ballistol or Goo Gone are petro based or if I pull the barrel and leave the oring in the breech for it's first cleaning how hard is it to reseat the barrel?
gremcat

Postby Sandspike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 am

gremcat wrote:Not sure if Ballistol or Goo Gone are petro based or if I pull the barrel and leave the oring in the breech for it's first cleaning how hard is it to reseat the barrel?

Look on the lable for the words "contains petroleum distilates". Goo Gone does but if you dry patch it, there is nothing left to ignite from my own experience.
It is absolutely unnecessary to remove anything to clean the barrel. You can slide a soda straw thru the muzzle and thru the baffles to help get the line thru them. Or you can remove the shroud and baffles to gain direct access to the barrel. If you dont use a metal brush, you dont have to remove the breech o ring. If you do remove the o ring...I promise you that you will regret it as they ain't eash to reinstall even in the .25. I did have to remove my .22 barrel to get an o ring in it! If you do for some reason decide to remove the barrel, be sure to make sure you do not loose the oring on the bottom of it. Also when retightening the set screws, that hold the barrel in place, gently rock the barrel as you get the screws correctly seated and then tightened. Once again....with a soda straw...it is unnecessary to remove anything to clean your barrel. And always end with a clean dry patch.
Good luck.
Crosman Titan .22 cal.
Crosman 2240 .22 pistol
2 Gamo .177 ?
Sandspike

Postby Sandspike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:32 am

Sandspike wrote:
gremcat wrote:Not sure if Ballistol or Goo Gone are petro based or if I pull the barrel and leave the oring in the breech for it's first cleaning how hard is it to reseat the barrel?

Look on the lable for the words "contains petroleum distilates". Goo Gone does but if you dry patch it, there is nothing left to ignite from my own experience.
It is absolutely unnecessary to remove anything to clean the barrel. You can slide a soda straw thru the muzzle and thru the baffles to help get the line thru them. Or you can remove the shroud and baffles to gain direct access to the barrel. Removing the bolt will give you more direct access to the breech or the barrel.
If you dont use a metal brush, you dont have to remove the breech o ring. If you do remove the o ring...I promise you that you will regret it as they ain't easy to reinstall even in the .25. But they do like to pop out and hide in the carpet or grass. I did have to remove my .22 barrel to get an o ring in it! If you do, for some reason decide to remove the barrel, be sure to make certain you do not loose the oring on the bottom of it where air passes from the tport into the barrel. Also when retightening the set screws, that hold the barrel in place, gently rock the barrel as you get the screws correctly seated and then tightened. Once again....with a soda straw...it is unnecessary to remove anything to clean your barrel. And always end with a clean dry patch.
Good luck.
Crosman Titan .22 cal.
Crosman 2240 .22 pistol
2 Gamo .177 ?
Sandspike

Postby RayK » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:07 am

One more thing that may be obvious, if you remove the barrel, you must install an empty magazine to get the right barrel position before you tighten down the barrel set-screws. Too tight and your magazine may not index properly.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby Sandspike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 am

RayK wrote:One more thing that may be obvious, if you remove the barrel, you must install an empty magazine to get the right barrel position before you tighten down the barrel set-screws. Too tight and your magazine may not index properly.

Ray

Thank you Ray....I forgot to include that. :oops:
Crosman Titan .22 cal.
Crosman 2240 .22 pistol
2 Gamo .177 ?
Sandspike

Postby gremcat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks Guys. Ballistol is what I saw recommended somewhere for cleaning out the barrel. I have a nylon brush / carbon Fiber rod but think for this first clean I will just use Ballistol on a patch with a weedeater line and pull it through. I may remove the shroud just because I have a Citrus stripper coming in that needs to be put on it and because I am laid up in bed without a straw :D
gremcat

Postby bbqncigars » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Two environmentally friendly products that have worked well in my PB guns are Mpro7 (no odor) and Froglube (smells like wintergreen). I'm liking the Froglube the more I use it.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
bbqncigars

Next

Return to Marauder Cleaning Care and Maintenance