My Rogue Experience

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

My Rogue Experience

Postby sierra » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:34 am

All I can say is WOW...but not in a good way.

Had high hopes for this rifle, on paper it combined all the good features of my other rifles into 1.

MRod - Quiet, Multi-Shot
Condor - Accurate, Power
Sam Yang - Big Bore

I missed the first batch that sold out in about an hour, but got my order in for the 2nd round...also sold out in a few hours.

Ordered the LE + some extra clips and 1 box of each pellets.
*Got a call they didn't have the pellets but they would sub the nosler rounds
*Very cool of crosman, they basically gave me 2 free boxes of ammo at no cost

This thing is huge...but I expected that.
I like the look, and it's even cooler in person..but that is personal opinion.

TESTING:

Very easy to adjust settings, only 3 buttons...(select, and UP/Down arrows)
You set bullet size (3 options)
You set Power (Lo Med Hi)
*Press both arrows to turn backlight on/off

I was surprised on a full 3000psi fill, you only got 1 shot @ high power (170grain)!!
*about 3 shots on lower grains

*With 100grain @ Low - 13 shots

I set targets up at 30yards using a range finder
Mounted rifle into a gun vise
Set to 100 grain Low

NOW THE BAD NEWS:
I could not get it to group...at all
every round was all over the place...8-12 inch spread, just horrible

I got about 50 rounds and less then 10 refills before the gun just died

I would fill to about 2500psi...take 2 shots, boom
the display would show "CRITICAL HALT HIGH PSI" and refused to fire anymore

I sent the rifle back for repairs...

They have had it for almost a month now!!!

I have called checking on it, and so far just BS responses...
after 1 week - call back in a few days
after 2 weeks - The transducer is bad, parts should be in today
after 3 weeks - just got some parts in, will take a few days WHEN THEY GET TO IT

Maybe when I get it back and it works as expected I'll be happy, but right now I'm just pissed off for wasting over $1500.

sierra

Re: My Rogue Experience

Postby NeuRon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:10 am

That's too bad. :? I wonder if it was just poor assembly. But at $1500, that should not be the case.

With a .357, I'd be fine with 2.5" at 50 yards, maybe 4" at 100 yards. It's not for shooting squirrels, afterall. But it sure would be nice to be able to do so at 25 yards. ;)

I think that the call for a pellet, and not a slug, is right on and probably will do a lot for accuracy... ...if it's not that it just wasn't assembled to the required tollerances. Those slugs look very mean, but maybe something more akin to a Predator Polymag should be produced. I'd hit up the company and talk to them about a limited run for testing.

Please stop back in and update us on this.
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby sierra » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 pm

I'll post my results when I get the rifle back...
Have lots of different ammo to test, hope to find the "magic pellet"

Top all .357, bottom .22 for compare:
sierra

Postby NeuRon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 pm

As much as I like the way that Nosler looks (and I'll bet it has great expansion), the 3rd and 4th pellets from the left have caught my eye. Who makes the one that looks like a traditional pellet?
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)

NeuRon

Postby sierra » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Left to Right
1-2 Air Venturi 100 grain
3 Eun Jin 9mm, 77.8 Grains
4-7 Dash Caliber
8 Nosler
9 Track the Wolf .358 round ball

My sam yang .45 loves round balls, hole in hole @ 30yards so I can't wait to test the rogue with a round ball.

Dash Caliber sent me a "sample pack" and said people have had good results with #4...

I love the look of the noslers, but at almost $1 per shot...it's not exactly for practice and plinking which is what I like to do most of the time.

Fingers crossed the Dash Caliber's work well, $85 for 1000 comes out to about .12 cents...alot cheaper then $1 per shot :)
sierra

Postby pb95 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 pm

NeuRon wrote:As much as I like the way that Nosler looks (and I'll bet it has great expansion), the 3rd and 4th pellets from the left have caught my eye. Who makes the one that looks like a traditional pellet?

I just got my Rogue and have been testing out the Noslers. They have excellent penetration with absolutely ZERO expansion! They penetrated 4 1/2 inches of fiberboard and dented the next board behind those at 50 yards on high power. I found the bullet, only to find out that it had not even flattened or expanded! I could still clearly see the rifling on the bullet. Im very disappointed with these ballistic tips as far as expansion goes. I pre ordered some 158gr hollow points. Hopefully, I can get some expansion out of those.
"Shoot for the best but prepare for the worst."
pb95

Postby NeuRon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Maybe they won't spread open unless they have more speed. Not saying you did anything wrong, just that they might not have been engineered to work ideally at the speed the Rogue lobs it out. Or maybe flesh & bone will allow something more to happen. It looks smooth enough to penetrate just as you've described. The polymer ball just isn't instigating a mushroom effect, it sounds like. It's just a slippery tip.

Can you do something inside the pellet (like scoring) to reduce the resistance the ploymer ball has against the pellet; allowing it to instigate more spread?

NeuRon

Postby pb95 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Thats a good idea you've got there. I believe there are definitely some faults with the nosler bullets. Hopefully, nosler may see this and redesign them.
"Shoot for the best but prepare for the worst."
pb95

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman