Best group with the Rogue

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

Best group with the Rogue

Postby Walx » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Got my Rouge in today and of course it's raining. Couldn't get the shooting table under the carport so I used the bipod and setup and shot a few groups at 35 yards. The best groups I got were 2 1/4 inches. What are others getting with this gun? I have to say this thing is a power house. I have a couple old road signs and at 50 yards it will blow right through it with the 145 grain ballistic tip set on high.
Walx

Re: Best group with the Rogue

Postby Walx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Well I have about 200 rounds through the gun now. My best 3 shot group has been 1 inch at 50 yards but can't seem to shoot that kind of group consistently. I would say the average is 2 inches. I called crosman today to find out what they are saying I should be getting group wise. He put me on hold to call someone that is suppose to know the gun very well but he said they must be off due to the holidays and that he would call me back as soon as he can talk to them. I have heard a few people talk about good 100 yard groups but haven't seen any numbers. I shot 2 groups at 75 and both where 2 3/4 inch. This would be fine I guess for a shoulder shot on a coyote but can't believe I can't get better groups. The power on the other hand is amazing. I get my best groups on the low setting with the 145 grain nosler and at 50 yards will go through a 3/4 plywood. It is traveling at around 720 on that setting with the crony at 10 yards in front of it. Any closer and I get false readings. I guess the air messes with it. I still get some 130fps reading now and then even at that distance. I sure hope that is false or that might be my grouping problem but I figure if it goes from 720 to 130 it would be a much wider group. Now am I impressed with the gun? For $1300 and almost $1 a shot, NO. I sure hope it gets better after it gets broke it. If I could get 2 inch groups at 100 I would be happy.
Walx

Postby NeuRon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:27 pm

That would mean being able to nail a squirrel at 100 yards. As much fun as that sounds, I have to think 2" @ 100 yards on a pig is just fine. About like a mediocre .22, but bigger.

As spoiled as my .25 has me, I would really have to look at the smaller varmints I might use it on before chasing 1.5" groups from 2".

It reminds me of a short-range musket or mini-mortor launcher. :D
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby Walx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:13 am

I agree Neuron my other 2 guns have me spoiled and I guess I expected nothing less with this one even after reading the reviews. Although the more I shoot it the better it seems to get. Yesterday I shoot 3 shots on high power at the bottom of a can that was nailed to a board. Ranged at 54 yards and just propped across the hood of my truck and all 3 made one be hole in the can. Had about 3/4 inch group. All my shooting before was off sandbags or a vise. I wondering now if you might have to shoot it like a springer.
Walx

Getting better

Postby Walx » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Well I have now 316 rounds through the gun and I think it is getting broke in. I now am getting consistent 1/2 inch 6 shot groups at 50 yards. Looks like one big hole. It still doesn't like the Eun Jin pellets though but shoots the 145 nosler and 127 pursuits good. I haven't shot any groups beyond 50 yards and have now run out of pellets and had to order some more. This time I ordered the 154 grain pursuit along with the 145g and 127g and I am going to do some more testing before I take a shot at any anamial. Haven't found the 170g pursuits in stock anywhere yet but would like to try them. The 145g are shooting at 823fps. Thats 218fpe. I am looking for that 250fpe that they say it can get so that maybe with the 170g. I will keep posting updates but not sure how many people really even care. :D
Walx

Postby hvack » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I care! I have been looking at this gun since it was first announced at the shot show. Keep us posted on its accuracy and over all effectiveness. I would like to see what it would do to nutter. :D
hvack

Postby Lammy1000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 am

Please keep info on the Rogue coming in! No detail is small enough to bore a committed airgunner. Can conventional pistol bullets be used in the Rogue?
Lammy1000

Postby Walx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 am

Not sure when the next time I will get to go home could be anytime between a week and 3 weeks but I will try and get a nutter with it. As far as the bullets go and after talking to Crosman I wouldn't feel good using anything other than airgun pellets. I wouldn't even buy the round balls for airguns even though they are most likely fine to shoot in the gun. I was told that it is a real soft lead and anything harder might damage the barrel. I am not going to be the one to test this though. I will stick with the Benjamin pellets designed for this gun. Once I get home and do more testing I will post pictures of groups and the penetration tests. I am trying to decide the best material to use for the penetration test so any ideas would be good. Trying to decide if it could take a deer efficiently. My first impression is that it can but I want to be sure and also decide the best shot placement to put the deer down ( head or heart/lung area )
Walx

Postby NeuRon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 am

By all means, please put a hide (or at least a chamois) over your penetration-test target. If you shoot into jugs of water or Jello, just wrap the hide across the front of the first jug... ...if you use those polymer-tip pellets. Can't recall what the Benjis look like, just picturing the Noslers.

I find the hide is where a Predator Polymag begins to do it's thing, with the softer insides allowing follow-through expansion. Anything too hard (phonebook) or too soft (just ballistic gel) doesn't replicate what happens to the pellet when it hits an animal. Plenty of retrieved ones to know just how much they spread, whereas online ballistic tests will show minimal distortion, much less expansion.

I'm thinking those polymer-tipped slugs might show similar results during ballistic testing with a hide cover. I know others have said they noticed very minimal expansion, but I haven't heard that about one retrieved from an animal, just from basic milk-jug ballistic observations.
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby Walx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:42 am

NeuRon wrote:By all means, please put a hide (or at least a chamois) over your penetration-test target. If you shoot into jugs of water or Jello, just wrap the hide across the front of the first jug... ...if you use those polymer-tip pellets. Can't recall what the Benjis look like, just picturing the Noslers.

I was thinking milk jugs filled with water stacked together with leather work gloves between the jugs. So it would be glove jug glove jug and so on. I have shot it into ballistic soap 8 inches long backed by 3/4 inch plywood and at 30 yards bullet was not recovered. Ran out of bullets shortly after this test. ( had to have it grouping to do this test)
Walx

Next

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman