Best group with the Rogue

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

Re: Best group with the Rogue

Postby AirRifleHunter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Wow, that Rogue sounds like a real beast of an air gun. If reviews start to get better on it I might have to start saving up for one. ;)
AirRifleHunter

Postby hvack » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:22 pm

how load is the rogue compared to the .25 marauder.
hvack

Postby Walx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 am

hvack wrote:how load is the rogue compared to the .25 marauder.

I did test that with the iPhone meter and got 89db on 145g high power but that can't be right. When I get back home I will use the meter and shoot the 25 and rouge during the same setting and report back. With the 89 reading that is the same as the 22 after I installed the dynamat. I need to fire all guns under the same conditions to get a comparison. I don't think the meter is accurate but should be consistent under the same conditions.
Walx

Postby pb95 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Walx wrote:Not sure when the next time I will get to go home could be anytime between a week and 3 weeks but I will try and get a nutter with it. As far as the bullets go and after talking to Crosman I wouldn't feel good using anything other than airgun pellets. I wouldn't even buy the round balls for airguns even though they are most likely fine to shoot in the gun. I was told that it is a real soft lead and anything harder might damage the barrel. I am not going to be the one to test this though. I will stick with the Benjamin pellets designed for this gun. Once I get home and do more testing I will post pictures of groups and the penetration tests. I am trying to decide the best material to use for the penetration test so any ideas would be good. Trying to decide if it could take a deer efficiently. My first impression is that it can but I want to be sure and also decide the best shot placement to put the deer down ( head or heart/lung area )

Hey Walx,
I want to tell you that the Noslers are NOT sufficient for heart or lung shots on deer. I have killed 2 does and an 8 point with it this year. I shot one in the head and it dropped. I hit the 8 point in the lungs, and it ran about 150 yards, and my blood dogs found it. The bullet went straight through, leaving no blood trail. When i gutted the deer, the entry hole was the same diameter as the exit hole. I shot the next doe through the shoulder, trying to get some bullet expansion, but it did not work. I found the doe still alive had to put her out with my 7-08. The bullet still went through both shoulders.(It was a small doe). I ordered the 140 gr and 177 gr hollowpoints from Robert Vogal(http://www.mrhollowpoint.com), as I have heard great results from his bullets. They will be here next week, and Im hoping I can get some to group as well as the Noslers, as they were giving sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I will post the hunting results I get from these bullets when I get my hands on them. The Nosler bullets are obviously very hard bullets, because they will not even deform when shot through 4 1/2 inches of pressboard. The rifling is still clearly visible in the bullet. Good luck on your Rogue!
Peyton
"Shoot for the best but prepare for the worst."
pb95

Postby Walx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for the post. That answers a lot of questions. I wonder what the 158 grain hollow points or the 170 flat nose will do. Have them both ordered the hollow points are back ordered and I think the 170grain came in today. It will be another week before I get home. I would have never thought it would have passed through the deer especially the one shoot in the shoulder. Guess that answers the penetration questions. Having a good blood trailing dog is a big plus. Yesterday I put a deposit down on a black mouth cur puppy so hopefully I will have a good squirrel and tracking dog ready to go for next year.
Walx

Postby pb95 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:53 pm

I placed an order for the 158 gr hollowpoints at pyramyd air nearly 2 1/2 months ago, and I still have not got them, so I went with mr. hollowpoint. Just broke down and ordered the last Corsair .357 that Randy Mitchell had in stock. I just don't trust the rogue when it comes to reliability. I think the conventional slam open valves are hard to beat when it comes to reliability.
pb95

Postby pb95 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:02 pm

hvack wrote:how load is the rogue compared to the .25 marauder.

In my opinion, the gun sounds just like a potato gun firing. It is noticeably louder than my .25, but a heck of a lot quieter than a .22 short rimfire.
pb95

Postby hvack » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:40 pm

lol! the potato gun i have built sounds like a cannon and shoots a potato 1/2 mile. :D But I know what you mean. So is it the difference in sound comparing .17 mrod vs .25 in sound?????
hvack

Postby pb95 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:37 am

hvack wrote:lol! the potato gun i have built sounds like a cannon and shoots a potato 1/2 mile. :D But I know what you mean. So is it the difference in sound comparing .17 mrod vs .25 in sound?????

Its something like that... maybe a little bit bigger difference than comparing a .17 with a .25. My corsair .357 sounds like a dang 12 ga. shotgun when it goes off. I am going to get an ldc for it. Neil Clague is also making an ldc to go on the marauders, so I asked him if he could make one to go on my rogue to make it even quieter. That would really make it one sweeeet weapon! 8-)
pb95

Postby hvack » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:22 pm

It sounds then like the .357 mrod is to loud to be back yard friendly. Your right it would be a sweet gun if it could be made easily n cheaply made quieter. Thanks guys for all the good info please keep us posted.

btw

What is ldc???
hvack

PreviousNext

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman