A few test results

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

A few test results

Postby Walx » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:24 pm

I received some 178 grain hollow points from mr hollow point ( very nice guy) he also send a few 140 grain as a sample :D He had told me that if I was able to shoot these bullets at at least 750 fps I would be in the money. Well I cannt quiet get the 178 to reach this. The best I can do so far is 735fps and thats on the discharge setting. On 170 high I get 715fps. With that said all my test were on 170 high and at 50yards. The first test was 3 water filled milk jugs stacked end to end. Bullet entered the 3rd jug with no expansion of the bullet. The 2nd test woven type feed sack with rye grass seed about half full and rolled as tight as I could get it. About 13 inches deep and 2 jugs behind it. Bullet passed through bag and entered 1st jug. Bullet started expanding. Last test same bag but with a leather work glove on the front and jug behind bag. Bullet passed through the glove at the fingers so that was 4 layers of leather and stopped right at the backside of the bag. This had me puzzled the bullet didn't even start to expand but had a big chunk of leather stuck in the hollow point. Maybe the bullet needs a little more speed? I am however impressed with the accuracy of these bullets. Haven't shot a target passed 75 but I am getting 1 inch groups. Had to cut testing short because I only had 2 days home before having to leave on a business trip and I wanted to hunt a little. I will do some more testing in a week and see what the 140 grains will do. Maybe with a little more speed they will open up a little. I am still not convinced that these bullets will not open up on an animal when hit.
Walx

Re: A few test results

Postby NeuRon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:10 pm

I agree, there performance may be more ideal on actual flesh & bone. Likewise, I think you've nailed it (as it would seem confirmed by Mr.HollowPoint) that you need just a little more speed to get these things hitting hard enough to fully expand.

Appreciate the firsthand feedback and experience you're sharing with us on the Rogue. :mrgreen:
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby pb95 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Walx:
I have tested the 116gr, 124gr, 140gr, and 178gr from Mr. Hollowpoint out of my Rogue, and the 140gr are by far the best for me. They have incredible expansion. They hold sub 1 inch groups at 70 yards. I had the privilege of taking a big ol doe with it on Thursday afternoon. She was about 45 yards away, and when I shot, all I heard was "Whack!", and she stumbled out of the food plot, only to run 20 yards before crashing. The bullet busted one shoulder and just missed the opposite shoulder, and it was stopped right on the other side of the skin. I retrieved the bullet, and I was amazed to see how much it had expanded and the damage it had done to the deer. After taking the hide off the deer, I was again surprised to see that its left shoulder was completely ruined from so much bloodshot, and the opposite side was also destroyed. These bullets kick those noslers butts. I highly recommend these out of the Rogue and Im gonna order lots more soon. :D
I was shooting on High power set to 145 grain and shooting around 800 fps. My gun did not like the 178 gr too much as far as accuracy goes, and they don't seem to expand as well as the 140's, but they expand fairly well out of my gun. I am using pressboard for expansion tests. It is harder than actual flesh, but it gives me a comparison of expansion and penetration between the different bullet weights. The 140 gr penetrate only slightly less than the 178, and they expand more.
You need to try those 140's out on a deer. You won't be disappointed.
"Shoot for the best but prepare for the worst."
pb95

Postby Walx » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I will have to order some more of the 140g. The deer have stopped coming out in my food plot lately. Guess I am going to have to move into the woods to be able to try the gun out.
Walx

Postby pb95 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:36 pm

I haven't been seeing many deer in the food plots lately either. Im sure all the acorns are really helping to keep them away from the plots.
"Shoot for the best but prepare for the worst."
pb95

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman