Most effective hunting ammunition

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

Most effective hunting ammunition

Postby pb95 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 pm

To all of you Rogue owners out there that are looking for an extremely effective hunting bullet out of the Rogue, you need to try the hollowpoints from Robert Vogal at mrhollowpoint.com. I prefer the 140 grain sized to .357. They are holding sub 1inch groups at 70 yards and will put the smack down on a whitetail. Shot a doe on Thursday with the 140 gr and it went 20 yards before it crashed, and the most noise came from the bullet impact as it crushed bone and tore flesh. :lol: The bullet expanded like crazy and completely ruined one shoulder from all the bloodshot. The original bullet diameter was .357, and it expanded to a diameter of .555 inches, which is excellent. I highly recommend them, and Robert is an awesome guy to deal with.
"Shoot for the best but prepare for the worst."
pb95

Re: Most effective hunting ammunition

Postby NeuRon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:11 pm

That's awesome!

Seems like the Rogue is similar to the .25 in that it might be well suited for bow-hunting techniques.

Aside from noise, are you seeing a benefit to using this over a powder-burner for deer? The reduction in the noise in the woods would be nice, but I have to think the impact of that .357 hollowpoint might still spook other deer in the area. :lol: Can you offer some insight and maybe your thoughts in using the Rogue instead of a traditional rifle (aside from the cool-value, of course! 8-) ) ? You know; just a little sales pitch. :mrgreen:
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby pb95 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:33 pm

NeuRon wrote:That's awesome!

Seems like the Rogue is similar to the .25 in that it might be well suited for bow-hunting techniques.

Aside from noise, are you seeing a benefit to using this over a powder-burner for deer? The reduction in the noise in the woods would be nice, but I have to think the impact of that .357 hollowpoint might still spook other deer in the area. :lol: Can you offer some insight and maybe your thoughts in using the Rogue instead of a traditional rifle (aside from the cool-value, of course! 8-) ) ? You know; just a little sales pitch. :mrgreen:

Even though I take my Rogue along on nearly every deer hunt, I always have my 7mm-08 with me. I don't use my Rogue in place of my powder burner, because it would be my luck that a trophy would step out just out of range, and a range finder is almost essential to calculate your holdover. The Rogue is much quieter, but you are still limited to a much shorter effective range than a powder burner. You can get away with a semi-bad shot when using a powder burner, but if a semi-bad shot is taken with the Rogue, you can kiss that deer goodbye- you probably won't find it. It is essential to have a well placed heart and lung shot for an effective kill with the Rogue. You are only looking at 200 ft. lbs., where a rifle has at least 6 times as much energy, and much higher velocities and effective ranges.
It is quiet for a big bore, but there is no doubt that it does make some considerable noise when fired in the silence of the woods. If a deer steps out within 75 yards or so, I will pick up my Rogue, unless of course it is to much of a trophy to take a chance on with an air rifle. I have killed 5 does and an eight point with my Rogue so far on my property. You are correct, it just adds a more challenging option to deer hunting, just like bow hunting. It is fun to change it up sometimes and to bring out the air rifles. I originally bought this air rifle because the doe population on my place was getting too high, and a number of them did not even have fawns, and they usually have at least one fawn. The average size of the deer were dropping as well. I have killed many, many does with my firearm, but I wanted a quieter method of doing this. I haven't killed quite enough does yet, but I am thinning them down fairly well.
It's just something about shooting game with an air rifle that appeals to me. If your looking to put a different spin on deer hunting, the Rogue is really awesome. But I would bring a powder burner alongside just in case. :D
That's just my insight on the Rogue. Peyton
pb95

Postby NeuRon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Great feedback! Thank you.

I'm going to assume that the powder-burner you take is sighted-in at a further distance (maybe 100 yards). Is that right? If so, having the Rogue handy allows you to hit those 70-yards-and-under shots like a longbow champ? ;) Fun, indeed. And nice use in thinning the does without the long-reaching report of a powder-burner. Keep it up, brother. And don't be a stranger to the hunting forum. :D
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)

NeuRon

Postby pb95 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:56 pm

My 7-08 is 1 inch high at 100yards, which zeros it right around 200 yards... Sure wish the rogue had that flat trajectory! :D That would be pretty sweet!

I would post pics on the hunting section, as I have countless escapades to tell about, but I cant really figure out how to post pictures! :lol: BTW, I killed a beautiful solid black squirrel yesterday while I was out squirrel hunting with my .25 Mrod. It was a trophy indeed, and I was so pleased to hear that satisfying "Thwack!" as that JSB knocked him out cold 55 yards from where I was standing. Poor fellow still had the hickory nut in his mouth :lol:
pb95

Postby NeuRon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:18 am

Go to http://www.photobucket.com and register for a free account. After that, select the green Upload Now button and that will take you to browse the pics on your computer. Go to where you have them (desktop, library, etc.) and select one (or hold CTRL down to select more than one). Once transferred, scroll your cursor over one of the thumbnail pics in your photobucket gallery and let the options pop up. Select Edit from the blue option bar, then Resize. Pics need to be limited to a resolution of 700 X 525 for this forum. Now click Apply to the right of the menu bar options and then go down to Replace Orginial (your original is still on your computer, so you only need forum-sized pics in your photobucket account.

After resizing, scroll over the thumbnail of your desired pic and select the Image URL option from those addresses that pop down. Click the box and the addy is copied. Now go into the post you're typing for here and click and paste the pic's URL. The address will show in your draft, but pics will show up in the actual thread when posted. That's it. The explanation takes a lot longer to do than the actual process, which is also easier than the description may imply.

I find it helps to have two windows open; one for the post you're creating here, the other for photobucket, and then just closing the photobucket window when done copying pics to the post.

Just hit me up if you have any questions.

NeuRon

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman