Going back to Crosman

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

Going back to Crosman

Postby Walx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Just got a reply from an email I sent Crosman a couple days ago asking them if there was an update to the software because I noticed on their site they say the Rouge can make 300 ftlb which it used too be 200ftlb. Also I can fill to 3000psi and the display wil show 3 or 4 shots and after 1 shot it shows 1 and sometimes no shots left on high so it seems to be using more air than was calculated for. The gun has also started to lose air at a rate of about 75 to 100 psi very couple days. Crosman stated After speaking with our Engineer regarding the issues you are having with your Rogue, it has been recommended that your gun be returned to us to be repaired under warranty. I hope they are able to get 300 ftlb out of this gun.
Walx

Re: Going back to Crosman

Postby Walx » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:30 am

Well I have not heard back from Crosman yet after emailing them back. I believe I will just hold on to the gun and not ship it to them. I may have solved a couple of the issues myself. I de-gassed the gun and removed the batteries, put the batteries back in and filled the gun up. After the first 15 minutes it pressure went down about 120psi but then held steady for 2 days. The problem with shot count I believe is related to the pressure loose as well and not the "computer". I have noticed that when I fill the gun and shut off the tank the pressure on the fill gauge startes to fall. I was thinking I had a slow leak on my fill setup and would fill to 3000 and hurry and bleed off the line pressure and then start to shoot. Well yesterday I decided to leave the fill guage hooked up after filling to 3000 and just see what happens. The pressure dropped to 2850 and stopped. I filled back the 3000 real slow and it fell to 2900 or so and then filled back to 3000 and this time it stayed. All of this over about a 15 min stretch. I took it to the range and started getting matching shot counts between display and actaual shots. I even put setting on low power filled to 2700 and display showed 16 shots. After every shot I looked and the display was right on with the actual shot count. Guess I was losing pressure as the air would cool down. Now my thoughts on accuracy after I have put somewhere around 800 rounds though the gun. To me it seems with the recoil of the gun you have to have a solid rest that holds the gun good to really get good groups now this could be just me but the gun seems to "jump" after a shot and this seems to throw the bullet off target. Every time I can hold the gun still enough to see the bullet impact the target the shot placement is dead on. In my case about a quarter of the time after the shot I completely loose the sight picture through the scope and the shot will be off by an inch or so at 50yards. Now I'm sure it's me on how well the gun shoots because 1. I seem to be getting better with my groups and 2. Every time I can see the impact the group is good even if I loose sight picture and get a flyer the next one I see impact on is in the good group on the target. Here are my best groups today at 50 and 100 yards with a cross wind and crappy sand bags as a rest. ( not a real good setup )
50yards 4 shots 145g nolser

Here is a 6 shot group at 100 yards you can really see what I'm talking about with the flyers.
Walx

Postby NeuRon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Way to go, with making progress on those issues. :) 50y looks great. And, knowing you're not shooting squirrels at 100 yards, that group looks promising enough.

The recoil seems like something to expect. I notice it on the .22 and .25 when the camera is hooked up and I'm reviewing in slow-motion. The pellet lands where the crosshairs where when fired, but there is a jump to the right from the recoil of each... ...just less pronounced the smaller the caliber. It seems to be less noticeable to me when using shooting sticks, compared to shooting off of bags. I guess the sticks allow some of that movement to be transfered, where bags cause the gun to take the full recoil and hop over just a bit. But this isn't something that I really noticed, or paid attention to, during normal shooting. It's just the slow-motion review that allowed me to start noticing it. The pellet is out of the barrel by the time the first bit of movement starts. But it sounds like you're finding that not to be the case of that big mortar-tube Rogue.
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby Walx » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

I think you are right about the bullet still in the barrel when it starts to recoil. I guess practice makes perfect. I blamed it on the barrel not being broken in when I first got it but the 300 or better rounds that were shot before it shot good enough for me to trust it to take it hunting seemed a little high for a barrel break in. I am thinking it just took that many shots for me to get used to shooting it.
Walx

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman