Replacement barrel

The Benjamin Rouge in .357 caliber by Crosman is the first big-bore airgun to have an electronic valve to ensure both shot-to-shot consistency, and maximum shots per fill. This forum is a place to talk about the new rifle.

Replacement barrel

Postby Walx » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Does anyone know if there is an after market barrel or know someone that might be willing to make one for the rouge.
Walx

Re: Replacement barrel

Postby bstaley » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:57 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you could talk Jim Gaska into making one for you. You can get a hold of him here:

http://marmotmilitia.com/contact-us.html
bstaley

Postby Walx » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks I will give him a call.
Walx

Postby Walx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Spoke with Jim by email and I am going to send him my barrel and he is willing to see about making a barrel from a LW blank.
Walx

Postby NeuRon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

How interesting this will be to watch. :D

BTW, I'm missing that hydro-film coating on the .22. I was at the range with other (powder burner) rifles this past weekend and thought about how immune it was to basic handling wear. I'm in a very dry environment, but I still remember to be careful about not rusting a barrel or gun with handling. Seeing those less-careful people at the range reinforced the thought... ...and that's when I remembered how it never entered my mind after getting the .22 coated. It's on my wish list for the replacement... ...but that pattern might have been a one-time deal from the guy I used. :mrgreen:
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby Walx » Tue May 01, 2012 3:37 pm

I know that you mean about the film. I dipped my first 22 Mrod and I am now waiting on my shop to be completed so I can air condition it so I can dip my 25 Mrod and a couple other guns I have. As far as the barrel goes for the Rouge I was thinking about the groups I have been getting with it and the thought process I have on how it is my fault that the groups are like they are then I thought well the 22 Crosman barrel seemed to be an issue when it first came out. Not sure if this barrel is a Crosman or not but figured no more than it would cost to have one made it surely wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Walx

Postby NeuRon » Wed May 02, 2012 6:31 am

Did you ever disassemble it and clean everything real good? Not that I would have gone diving into it, but after experiencing a good tuner's work, I have to wonder how much a 'detailing' (clean and smoothing), 'blueprinting' (careful assembly), and tuning with a barrel with lead-in and crown work would turn out. A nightmare for hogs, no doubt :D
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)

NeuRon

Postby Walx » Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 am

I removed the barrel and cleaned it good and to my untrained eye the crown looked good. The rest of the gun is electronics so I figured there is not much I can do there. I have played with the dwell time as it can be manually adjust but never found any good improvements. Now don't get me wrong it is accurate enough for hogs out to 75 yards and that seems to be what it was made for but I also never thought that an air rifle could shot dime size groups at 50 yards but they can so I can't imagine this gun can't shoot at least 1 Moa at 50 yards consistently but that part might still be me and not the gun but I hope a different barrel will confirm one way or the other. And maybe after I send the barrel to Jim he can see if crown is bad or not. I notice there is not many posts in this section. I wonder has crosman not sold that many guns? I know most people have better sense than me and have not spent money on a gun that seems to have so many problems but would have thought more guns would be out there though.
Walx

Postby NeuRon » Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 pm

I think more people will pick them up, as they come to read that the early issues are gone. Few owners, with probably few of those who get online and review beyond the initial bad experience.

I'd imagine the same holds true as with the Mrod and Prod assembly. A tear-down and rebuild, with clean and optimized parts and assembled to proper specs, can make a vast improvement. I guess you're just looking at less mechanical parts. At some point, one of these will be purchased used by some tinkerer who will get into the electronic portion of things and figure out optimizations there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Rogue eventually placing a 1" 5-shot group at 75 yards, with a lot of work. That's a big slug to fit too many within such a small space, repeatedly, with an airgun. But I think you nailed it when you said that it's intended purpose was for hogs. I don't think it was by pure luck that Crosman released a 'quiet' hog-killer pcp rifle at a time when open warfare has been declared on the feral hog problem. Maybe it's a tad bit louder than they wanted, and the performance gap widened just a little, but it ends up doing the job of taking hogs down at 50 yards; that same experience as in other models. The key will be getting enough out to develop a following of tuners and problem-solvers that prove the rifle's real potential.

Best of luck. I hope you get it sorted to an acceptable level of the average person around here. That would, no doubt, mean a squirrel-mortar at 100 yards. When people know what a Rogue can do, they'll want one for themselves, and then try to get it performing to that level. The Rogue's future starts here. :lol:

NeuRon

Postby L3Outdoors » Thu May 10, 2012 11:11 am

I would love to have a 30'' replacement barrel with a not removable LDC built on it. Should add 100fps or more. That's how the custom builders get their numbers without high fill pressures. For example my Corsair 308 with a 24" barrel would only do 760fps with a 3800psi fill and 150gr bullet, but the same gun with a 34" barrel it 200fps faster. For my line of work I have to have the LDC or I would just throw on a longer barrel.
L3Outdoors

Next

Return to Benjamin Rouge .357 by Crosman