.25 Cal. Marauder

Submit your Marauder air rifle reviews here, or share links to other reviews you have found on the web.

.25 Cal. Marauder

Postby alhefner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 am

I got my .25 Cal late Monday via UPS from Pyramyd Air. I got a package deal with a good Leapers 4 - 16X scope and case. I also bought 4 different heavy pellets to go with it. I already had a Benjamin hand pump for my Discovery.

Yesterday, I took the Mrod out to the desert to lean a bit about it and get the scope sighted in. I set the target up at only 10 yards just to see if the scope would get me on the paper. It did and of course, I forgot to bring any hex wrenches and the scope dials were locked down! Oops! :oops: Oh well, I decided that since it did at least hit the paper at 10 yards, I might as well run a few pellets through it...now I discover I forgot to bring along the Eun Jin pellets I really wanted to have for hunting! :o

OK,, so I at least had the rifle, 3 other brands and types of pellets, and the pump! :)

Here are the pellets and groups from each. These are 8 shot groups...handy since the Mag is an 8 shot Mag...

Beeman Kodiak Extra Heavy:

Group:

H&N Spitzkugel, 24.85 grain:

Group:

H&N Baracuda, 31.02 grain:

Group:

I liked the H&N Baracuda best but still wanted to try out the Eun Jin pellets and sight in the scope so I packed up and headed back to the house.

OK, Now I get back to my shooting spot after my trip home and have all that I need to continue my tasks! :D

I set up a bench on a portable table. Put the target out to 20 yards and start off with pumping the Mrod to just over 2800 psi on it's built in meter. Shot a group and found that the first two shots were a bit wild then things settled down. Got the scope pretty well sighted quickly but I still didn't have the hang of how much air I should be using! :roll:

First of all, pumping up the Mrod with the Benji pump is a bit of a workout! I put about 120 or so pellets through it yesterday and found out all about that! I found that for every 100 psi of air pressure you want to put into the rifle, you'll pump about ten strokes on the hand pump. The air reservoir on the Mrod is larger than on the Discovery and that equates to more volume and more pumping even if you don't figure in the pressure difference.

Shooting was fun and I found that I can get about 20 or so good accurate shots per fill. The fill pressure I found working best was 2700 psi and only letting the pressure drop to about 1800 psi with the heavy pellets I want to put through it. I guess I will grab another two mags for it and just count on either a refill at shot 20.

Speaking of pellets, overall the H&N Baracuda pellets worked best for me. The heavier Eun Jin pellets turned out to be a bit on the wild side. In My Disco, H&N pellets don't work well at all and the heaviest Eun Jin pellets are the best...ya just never know till ya try! Oh well! I only bought one time of Eun Jin for the Mrod anyway.

The only adjustment I have made to the Mrod so far was the "velocity" adjustment. I don't have a Chronograph so I simply turned it all the way in and backed it out again 4 1/2 half turns to ensure the tube was 100% open for max air flow. Certainly NOT scientific but it seems to work for me.

That's my "first look" so far...I'll be posting in other sections of the forum with other things as time goes on.

Al
alhefner

Re: .25 Cal. Marauder

Postby Vakeiros » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 am

hi, congrats on your new marauder... mine on only arrives on end of july.... Greg Davis is swamped with work, but i think the wait i'll be worth...

anyway, about yours, 10 yards is'n very conclusive we want to see 50yd :D

regards

good shots
Air Arms S410 Xtra FAC .22 + Leapers 4-16x50 AO
Benjamin Marauder .177 + ZOS 10-40x60
Benjamin Discovery + ZOS 10-40x50
Diana 75 T01 + Match Diopter
Diana 75 + VitaScope 4x40
Vakeiros

Return to Marauder Reviews