Inconsistent accurancy of .22 caliber barrels

This is the place to leave feedback for Crosman, If you leave feedback here they will see it.
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman. If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee they will reply to you or the form. I can guarantee that this form grows to a fraction of what I think it will, then it would be in Crosman’s best interest to assign an employee to watch and participate in our forum. And we invite them to do so.

Postby Blue oat » Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Have a WH80 .177. Thought I would step up to a new .22 Benjamin Maurader when synthetic stock is available. After researching found the .22 caliber was plagued with accuracy problems. Am rethinking my choice. If all barrels are made to a certain spec, why do you have to shoot so many pellets before you find the right pellet for your gun. I don't understand how Crosman can be manuifacturing and selling good barrels and bad barrels all at the same time. Would like to get an explanation for this.
Blue oat

Postby ShawnHu » Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Quality control.
ShawnHu

Re: Inconsistent accurancy of .22 caliber barrels

Postby Ahab » Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 am

Funny how old history seems to stick around. I don't know of any friends who recently purchased a .22 Marauder who had complaints with accuracy. I haven't. :D :D :D
.22 Marauder, SUN 2-7x32 AO
.22 Marauder Pistol, Optima 3-9x32
.22 Bengamin Dicovery, BSA 3-12x44 AO
Ahab

Postby ShawnHu » Mon May 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Ahab wrote:Funny how old history seems to stick around. I don't know of any friends who recently purchased a .22 Marauder who had complaints with accuracy. I haven't. :D :D :D

If you call old history within a year, then yeh, I'm part of that old history. Or maybe you and your buddies have a less of a standard when shooting? Just saying.
ShawnHu

Postby Vic » Wed May 15, 2013 5:10 am

I have a .22 and it shoots okay, quarter at 25 yds. My bigger issue seems like a floating point of impact. I have mounted hundreds of scopes and such and have never had a problem. I think it is the floated barrel. I lean mine against a corner sometimes and others it is laying flat. I have thought about putting the o-ring in the barrel band to lock the barrel more in place. I read somewhere that using foam and/or o-rings might be the answer. Need to go get a few and see what fits.

I understand floating barrels on rifles. Don't know if an air rifle would generate the harmonics necessary to make floating useful.

Vic
Vic

Postby Motorhead » Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Have snugged up the fit of barrel bands on both my m-rods ... far more consistent shooters this way too ;)
Regulated Custom M-rods - Pupped .22 / Thumbhole .177 / .20 Conversion
Air Arms TX-200 MkIII .177
FWB 124D .177
Diana 75 HV TO-1 Match .177
Barnett Spitfire .177
Regulated BAM-51 .177
Crosman PC77 & SSP-250 .177
Bug-A-Salt
4.5k ShoeBox / Ninja 90
Motorhead

Postby Vic » Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 am

MH,

Is that where the barrel bolts into the breach? If so I might do that. I just look at the barrel and see the length of the shroud and with almost no effort you can move the barrel all over the place. I know it is steel but I would think if it is held in a certain position for long enough it would affect POI. I have some o-rings and am going to see which might fit the job. I think there is a groove in the barrel bracket. Hope one fits and limits barrel movement.

Vic
Vic

Postby bstaley » Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 am

Motorhead wrote:Have snugged up the fit of barrel bands on both my m-rods ... far more consistent shooters this way too ;)

So your barrels are no longer free floating in the band? My main concern would be that the POI would move as pressure in the airtube changes. You are not finding that to be the case? I may have to try that.
bstaley

Postby Motorhead » Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 am

bstaley wrote:
Motorhead wrote:Have snugged up the fit of barrel supports on both my m-rods ... far more consistent shooters this way too ;)

So your barrels are no longer free floating in the band? My main concern would be that the POI would move as pressure in the airtube changes. You are not finding that to be the case? I may have to try that.

Have gone back and forth this past 1 1/2 years in Centering support ... Removing support ... Larger o-ring within support ... Lining support in hobby foam etc ..

Pressure changes within tube while used with a semi secure to shroud fit has had less variance in POI than any combo of a floated shroud has provided.
So ... would say generally not having any noticeable POI change with pressures changes using a snugged up shroud/support.

* Personally LIKE floated barrels ... but the .177 & .22 7/16" thin barrel with shroud way factory has them fitted is just to easily moved.
Any pressure against shroud and it moves !!! ... even if ever so slight your POI changes for a spell until barrel parts relax and harmonics of shooting get them back to there relaxed neutral position.

Best I have personally found was with original smaller hole supports, take out o-ring and replace with a 1/16 X 1"
This makes a SNUG fit that still offers harmonics / expansion damping, but no side/side physical movement.
On newer larger diameter supports take out o-ring and using self adhesive 1/16" sheet hobby foam line full width the I.D. of the shroud hole.
Fit will be just about neutral allowing vibration/expansion movement and nearly eliminates side to side motion. * Firmer the foam better the rigidity will stay over time.

These JUST SUGGESTIONS if your having issues ;) It is all reversibly if unhappy with results :roll:
Regulated Custom M-rods - Pupped .22 / Thumbhole .177 / .20 Conversion
Air Arms TX-200 MkIII .177
FWB 124D .177
Diana 75 HV TO-1 Match .177
Barnett Spitfire .177
Regulated BAM-51 .177
Crosman PC77 & SSP-250 .177
Bug-A-Salt
4.5k ShoeBox / Ninja 90
Motorhead

Postby Blue oat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks for postings. All of this info has definitely made my decision not to purchase a marauder .22 valid. These problems should have been resolved pre-production by crosman.
Blue oat

Next

Return to Feedback for Crosman