Have you played with the power adjustments on your Marauder?

If you were able to be one of the lucky people who were able to get a code tell us here.

Yes
54%
No
25%
Want to, but haven’t yet.
21%

Total votes : 24

Postby sacshooter on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:07 am

In my onion, one of coolest things about the marauder is the ability to
tune the marauder for velocity and or different fill pressures.

Have you played with the settings? Why?

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacshooter aka Site Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sacshooter

Re: Have you played with the power adjustments on your Marauder?

Postby Lyle on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 am

I bought the Marauder for the soul purpose of hunting. Rats, Starrlings, pigeons, gophers, squirrels, possum, skunk and Raccons are my quarry. The last three reguire more Kinetic energy so this is why I have adjusted my Marauder. I shortend the hammer spring all the way, max adjustment on striker length and one full turn out on the restricter screw. I do not have a crony, but did a few penetration tests, and know that it hits hard with both crossman 14.3 grn pointed and Benjamin Discovery hollow points 14.3 grn. Accuracy has not been affected out to fourty yards. This gun beats my springer in all aspects. I gave my springer to my youngest boy,who did not have a air gun by the way, and he is happier then a pig in you know what.
Lyle

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Lyle, Welcome to the forums. In case your not fully aware, increasing the hammer spring tension unnecessarily will only reduce it's shelf life. I'm assuming where you have indicated "shortening", what you are really referring to is "increasing" the spring tension, in other words you have turned the spring tension adjustment clockwise in fully (about 6 revs). So with full hammer spring tension and full hammer stroke, I'm guessing you've preferred a 3000 psi start fill? But with only 25% (one turn out) on the transfer port this is somewhat counter productive, especially if your only using a 14.3 grn pellet. Remember, energy is a by-product of velocity, therefore, increasing the transfer valve (which puts NO additional strain on the internal parts, ie hammer spring), would give you the additional velocity and increased energy you seek. At the same time you could back off on the spring tension and stroke length, reduce the fill pressure some and have the same if not more velocity/energy you want. Unfortunately, having a chrony is key to proper adjustment and without it will be like searching for a needle in a haystack (unless of course your Greg Davis-master Mrod tuner). Perhaps someone that is using the same ammo can give you the setup based on a given muzzle velocity (say 900, which equals 26 fpe). Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Lyle on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 am

Hey Thanks a lot Steve! I dont want to wreck the gun so I have taken your advice and backed off on the hammer spring to the factory setting and opened up the valve and shooting at 2000 psi fill I got the same results with my penitration tests. Dont ask what these tests are but they have served me well in the past with my springers. I do need to get or borrow a chrony just so I know for sure but with these settings I am confident in the FPE it is producing. Dont want to sound like a Dumb you know what but I am new to the PCP field and glad you helped. Thanks again. I will be ordering some heavier pellets over the internet, for all the stores carry here are 14.3 grain. They have worked in the past but definatly would like more weight.
Lyle

Postby Lyle on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

Its me again Steve: Thanks again. Made those adjustments and shot for awhile. This also saves a lot of pumping and wear and tear on the pump. I was about to put the gun away and go to bed for work when I turned around and there was a large Gray squirreldown by my little patch of pine trees and bird feeder,40 yards away. I put the cross hairs on his eye and squeezed of the shot. The Marauder drove the 14.3 grain hollow point throughhis head and exited behind his right shoulder. I will have supper tonight. The settings have prove themselves. 40 yards is usally at the fringe of my shooting distance. Keep up the good work with this site.
Lyle

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Hey Lyle, Glad I could help and I'm pleased to see that the new settings have netted you the same results (not to mention made it easier to pump). I'd run some chrony tests for you but I'm shooting a .177 which won't help. Until you get a hold of a chrony, try starting a new post, maybe someone with a .22 shooting 14.3's can give you the exact settings and velocity results. Although, it sounds like she's performing well out to 40 yds (I guess why mess up a good thing, right?). Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby Lyle on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Steve: I would be interested in what it is shooting. I reviewed Paul Capellos(spelling) review again on Pyramid Air. He was testing the Marauder in .22 with 14.3 premieres. With 1/2 turn out on the valve from the factory setting he was getting mid 900's. I should be in that ball park. I tested a 20 shot group for accuracy at 20 yrds and it is right on. I think it is set about right for what I need it for.
Lyle

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Lyle, It's nice to know the velocity (even for S@@@'s and giggles), but it sounds like you have her dialed in 8-) . Good Luck. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Return to First 100 Owners Club