BARREL CLEANING

Questions and tips for cleaning and maintaining your Marauder.

Re: BARREL CLEANING

Postby icebug on Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Supercharged86 wrote:D, There's just under a half inch left and If you remove the baffles it feeds easier out the muzzle. Likewise, I use my thumb and index finger to keep it centered (in the magazine slot) as I pull it through. This way it's not being pulled unevenly through the o-ring. Steve

Thanks!

Cheers,
d.
Click here to make a clicking sound.
icebug

Postby paul in MD. on Sat May 29, 2010 10:55 pm

I use a length of weed whacker line,just ball up one end with lighter and on the other end ,cut with knife or side cutter at a angle to form a point. Push pointed end thru center of patch ,run pointed side thru breech or muzzle and pull thru. You don,t clean bbl.that often ,so when time comes around ,remove baffles and clean them also. ;)
paul in MD.

Postby Lammy1000 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:41 am

I find that my .177 with lightly lubed (silicone spray) Crosman Premier requires cleaning every ~80 rounds. I have been using weedwacker line and the "straw trick".

My recent purchase of a Hoppes bore snake has me a little concerned because when pulling the transition part where the string mates to the fabric through the breech, a great deal of force is needed to start it down the barrel. It almost seems as though the bore snake is too large, as in .22 caliber. The packaging claimed .177 airgun and there is no brush attached. My biggest concern is it breaking in the barrel.

Also, I had to cut off the loop at the thicker end as I will not be pulling it back out through the breach, instead out the muzzle.
Lammy1000

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 am

Lammy1000 wrote:I find that my .177 with lightly lubed (silicone spray) Crosman Premier requires cleaning every ~80 rounds. I have been using weedwacker line and the "straw trick".

My recent purchase of a Hoppes bore snake has me a little concerned because when pulling the transition part where the string mates to the fabric through the breech, a great deal of force is needed to start it down the barrel. It almost seems as though the bore snake is too large, as in .22 caliber. The packaging claimed .177 airgun and there is no brush attached. My biggest concern is it breaking in the barrel.

Also, I had to cut off the loop at the thicker end as I will not be pulling it back out through the breach, instead out the muzzle.

Hey Lammy, I've been using the Boresnake over a year now, to problems. That resistance your feeling at the breech is the o-ring, because that's the smallest diameter along the way. Because of the sharp bend in the mag well, you need to use two fingers to keep the boresnake centered as you pull. I have found that pulling the bolt makes it a lot easier to pull the snake through. Likewise, the end you cut off is a slightly thicker part of the whole assembly, it acts like a final "wiper" or "applicator". If you haven't pulled the bolt before, it's a piece of cake, as you pull back just be sure you leave it turned down as it would be in the closed position. Otherwise, the spring loaded plunger assembly that hangs down from the top of the breech block (rear) will get caught in the threaded hole. No big deal, but you'll have to pull the scope and back off the tension set screw that you see on top. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby wabnem on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 am

Thought I'd share how I've been cleaning my .25, it's been working so well I clean all mine like this!
First about six feet of 20lb test fishing line. 12" up on one end make one knot, (basically one loop), take your patch half way through loop pull tight. Continue to tie on patches 3-6inches apart five all together seems to work pretty well for me.Take the feeding end fold it over a half inch and kink it (helps it stay centered in the barrel).Now do the straw trick to get the line through the barrel. Then tie both ends of the line together. I put oil/cleaner on the first two patches. Now start pulling your prefered direction, since the ends are tied you can keep pulling the patches through in a circle. When you need to change a patch you pull on the patch at the knot loosening it, put new one through the knot pull tight. I really like only putting the line through the barrel one time for the whole cleaning! Patch size matters don't exceed your 20lb test :roll:
wabnem

Postby Lammy1000 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

The boresnake has so much surface area that only 1 or 2 "passings" seem to be required.

Lou
Lammy1000

Postby Vakeiros on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

ok, after reading all the stuff about cleaning barrels (i'll look like a noob asking this but...) what the hell do you call a patch???
some piece of tissue? i really don't know.... picture please :D :D :D

regards
Vakeiros

Postby Supercharged86 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Vakeiros wrote:ok, after reading all the stuff about cleaning barrels (i'll look like a noob asking this but...) what the hell do you call a patch???
some piece of tissue? i really don't know.... picture please :D :D :D

regards

Exactly. Here you go: http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_patches.html
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Previous

Return to Marauder Cleaning Care and Maintenance