How to do the Bstaley Hammer Buffer (BHB) modification

Look Here First - Quick Reference area for Marauder Related Stuff. Admin & Moderators will move selected topics to this area to help people quickly find it.

How to do the Bstaley Hammer Buffer (BHB) modification

Postby RayK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I finally wrote a description of how to do the BHB correctly. It includes links to the background posts, how to install o-rings videos, etc. Many think you just plop in some o-rings and you're done (and that is what the videos show). But if you want it to work well, there are more details to this tuning method and I have carefully outlined each of these steps.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn0 ... sp=sharing

I also put a list of cheap but important modifications anyone can and should make to their Marauders.

I also put links to all the parts you need for this mod and other mods such as installing beefier hammer springs.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Re: How to do the Bstaley Hammer Buffer (BHB) modification

Postby SHOOTINIT » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:22 pm

RayK wrote:I It includes links to the background posts, how to install o-rings videos, etc. Many think you just plop in some o-rings and you're done (and that is what the videos show).

Ray

gez do we have to hold peoples hands for everything...its a how to install video not how to tune...if one is installing them they should already know why they are doing so.
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby RayK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Have you not seen how many times we get the same questions? You have not been around very long. I've been here since 2010. It gets a little old seeing folks making the same mistakes over and over again. Those videos just show how to install the o-rings. And almost every guy who has a 25 m-rod has tried it only to find out they now got a wimpy pellet gun.

Also have you not noticed that folks often don't read a bunch before they start posting questions? It is true that the forum search is really lame. Now, I can just give them a link.

Most guys are not like you or the other handful of guys on this forum that work on their own stuff. Look at all the ones that send their guns to tuners for everything.

I remember that one guy who made the YouTube video came on here, asked how to do it (we told him), then the next day he posts his video. Of course, he left out some important stuff. I'm glad he did it, because I wasn't going to make one.

We had a guy a little while back who went through all the A-team tuning all the while planning to insert some o-rings after he was done. He really did not understand that the two techniques are not compatable.

I bet I will save lots of people from making mistakes or from hours of frustrations when their settings move on them. But more importantly, I can give a link if someone asks a question in the future.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Postby ingrahal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Nice job Ray. This would make a very nice start to "The Marauder Bible". Start a new thread with that title. Provide a link to your document and explain that it is an on going list of mods and fixes and all things Marauder. Then get admin to make it a "sticky" thread at the top of the index. You will control what gets added. Then all we have to do is tell people to refer to the bible. I belong to a RC Helicopter forum that does this and really works well.
ingrahal

Postby RayK » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:52 am

SHOOTINIT wrote:if one is installing them they should already know why they are doing so.

Yes, they should. In an ideal world maybe, but in reality no...

I didn't write it for you. You obviously have knowledge and skill and can solve your own problems. I've also noticed you're not much for words. Your forum posts are 99% one liners. For every one of us who post, there are 10 lurkers who do nothing but read and try out these ideas.

How do you expect these other folks to learn if they don't yet have the knowledge and skill? The airgun info is very poorly documented. At best, it is scattered all over many posts on Internet forums. It isn't like you can go buy a book "How to Get Optimal Performance out of your Marauder."

How did you learn to tune PCPs? Did you start from nothing and teach yourself? I started with the original A-team guide as that was all there was. I had to read it many times before I could understand it and I'm an excellent reader and very mechanically inclined. It wasn't until I had tuned several guns that I really started to understand what is going on.

The BHB has a bit of a learning curve too. How many of us stuck in some o-rings then later discovered the hammer throw would move on us? You wouldn't know that unless you made the mistake then discovered the solution or if someone warned you it would happen. I was there when we figured it out as a group. I would not be surprised if others had discovered this, but they didn't share their discovery so we had to learn it again.

I thought it funny that they guy who made the o-ring install video you always refer to has this in his video comment
Published on Apr 12, 2013
DIY STEP BY STEP...BENJAMIN MARAUDER HAMMER ANTI- BOUNCE
...this is 20 year old paintball poppet valve technology, nothing new. at minimum it protects your valve from getting hammered

I think it really shows his ignorance that he does not realize the contribution of bstaley in bringing this to the PCP airgun community. He would not be making that video if bstaley had not posted his initial "Poor Man's Regulator" article. True, it is a simple idea, but bstaley discovered its value when used with the Marauder hammer. Plus he claims a step-by-step, but he really only shows how to install the o-rings which is only one step. I would not call it a "Hammer anti-bounce" It real power is that it is more of a hammer limiter that absorbs hammer energy allowing a more consistent opening of the valve.

BTW, most scientific discoveries seem obvious once they are documented. The value is bringing them into conceptual focus from the cloud of vague understanding. F = MA? oh it makes and seems obvious. Must be no big deal.

Ray
RayK

Postby gunlocators » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 am

I one appreciate your time making this document. You helped me as others in a recent thread I opened. I did try to research various mods and went with the BStaley and watched videos and read threads. However everything I seen focused on o-ring installation. You guys here set me straight on drilling and tapping the other parts needed to accomplish a full BStaley mod. The search function of this board is a bit lacking so I know I missed a lot of great info. Anyway THANK YOU VERY MUCH
gunlocators

Postby RayK » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks! It was worth it even if it only helped you. But I hope it helps others.

I really am glad others made videos I could link. I'm not much into taking photos and I've never made a video. Maybe it is partly because I still have a dumb phone whereas almost everyone else has smart phones.

Ray
RayK

Postby RayK » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:49 pm

It is possible to get great tunes using the A-team method, but I from what I've tried, the BHB really makes tuning simple. And the really cool thing is you can switch from one tune to another by making a predictable change to the "velocity setting" AKA "hammer throw."

When doing A-team, the adjustments are much more interconnected and all three affect pellet velocity.

Ray
RayK

Return to Marauder Quick Reference